XXV Installation on Friday pm. What to watch for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pe islander

Dec 28, 2007
PEI, Can.
My XXV is being installed Friday 11th. It's to be located in the corner of our family room. Is there particular things I should be checking/watching for? I've read through the owner's manual on line, therefore I know the dimensions etc. Just wondering if there are certain things I should be aware/cautious of? Thanks for any advice. Kurt.

Watch for any and all installation issues and steps mentioned in the manual. Things to note are minimum clearances, a vertical run of at least 5 ft before flue termination, good sealing of all the flue pipe joints, a draft test of the stove, and general good workmanship.

I like the athstetics of having the black pipe in the house (vent pipe on the inside before exiting the house), just gives the "wood stove" feeling. Is this method just as good as the going straight out the back and making it's 90 verticle turn on the outside of the house? I know it is listed in the owner's manual as "preferred method" but comes second to the method where the pipe is mostly outside

The big difference is the location of the clean out T. If you go up then out the clean out will be on the inside of your house which will make cleaning the pipe a little messier.

The other thing to watch out for, with a corner install, is that they use a 45* elbow rather than a 90* if you are setting the stove at an angle to the corner.

BeGreen said:
Watch for any and all installation issues and steps mentioned in the manual. Things to note are minimum clearances, a vertical run of at least 5 ft before flue termination, good sealing of all the flue pipe joints, a draft test of the stove, and general good workmanship.
I agree on the workmanship...I watched on the install for a bit....but upon seeing "how" the installers were operating....their cleanliness and attention to detail etc.....I knew I had picked the right dealer/installers.

pe islander said:
I like the athstetics of having the black pipe in the house (vent pipe on the inside before exiting the house), just gives the "wood stove" feeling. Is this method just as good as the going straight out the back and making it's 90 verticle turn on the outside of the house? I know it is listed in the owner's manual as "preferred method" but comes second to the method where the pipe is mostly outside

If I had used the cleanout tee on the inside with the pipe going up the wall....yep, I would of used the black paint or pipe....looks better...but I wanted to go straight out with the "Tee" on the outside for ease of opening that tee up instead of on the inside. My pipe extends 8' on the vertical instead of 5' ....we did that because of the oil filler pipe being so close as a precaution.

pegdot said:
The big difference is the location of the clean out T. If you go up then out the clean out will be on the inside of your house which will make cleaning the pipe a little messier.

The other thing to watch out for, with a corner install, is that they use a 45* elbow rather than a 90* if you are setting the stove at an angle to the corner.
I agree Peg.....thats why I chose the Tee to be on the outside.....for the "non" messiness....

the only "I didn't think of that" things maybe are the clearances to get the stove into the house and is the floor well supported to handle the weight-but I suppose that last one might be a stretch......did you check out the pipe with the integral gasket that doesn't need the silicone and tape? Is sure is sweet to take apart to clean-except for the required 3 screws for every joint-but they're only little...

This is speaking from my experience from my first install 2 days ago. If you never had one before it will take some getting used to at first. I almost had a panic attack because the installers almost cut through a power wire in my wall and then left me with the smoke alarms going off becuase the stove at first will smoke alittle so open some windows. Make a list of questions and dont let them leave till they answered them all. One thing alot of people say is to make sure they go atleast 6 inches from the house on the pipe to protect the siding.

All good advice

Before they start

Get all things out of the path of work
and the travel path into the house.
(I can’t stand working around Crap)

Have kids stay away

Get your cars out of driveway and out of the way.

Before they start.

Get their names

Ask them if they can paint the pipe that will be inside the house before they install the vent

Ask them to put screws in each joint

Ask them about a thermostat and ask about the placement.

Just to let you homeowner know

Installers work better and get less flustered if you stand back and give them room to work.

If you have questions ask them before the start.

Then if you have more don’t ask them as they are doing something important like taking a measurement or cutting.

If you are looking over their shoulder the whole time they are going to get nervous and it will take longer and they are bound to make mistakes Because they are thinking more about you than they are about the job.

Wow!!!!! Thanks for all the advice! The kid's G'mom will be babysitting, the car will be out of the drive way and all furnature moved! My questions are prepped and will be addressed before hand. I think I'm all ready (thanks to you guys and gals!). The XXV comes with a thermostat I believe, so should I just ask him about the best placement?
Anyway, you guys are amazing, thanks! Kurt.

I meant to ask you if the gov. in P.E. has an energy refit program in the works.Here in N.B. , with a blower door test at 75 bucks, we are eligible for rebates to upgrade insulation and other energy saving means-included here are low emission heating devices including pellet stoves,though the literature doesn't say "pellet stoves".I had to make a phone call on that.I emailed the premier yesterday as the "big cheese" was in town hoping to jiggle his brain to axe the tax on pellet fuels like some of our neighbors south-side. Makes so much sense to me. Anyways, pellet stoves including pipe gets 20 percent off the total bill- a nice encouragement

pete324rocket said:
the only "I didn't think of that" things maybe are the clearances to get the stove into the house and is the floor well supported to handle the weight-but I suppose that last one might be a stretch......did you check out the pipe with the integral gasket that doesn't need the silicone and tape? Is sure is sweet to take apart to clean-except for the required 3 screws for every joint-but they're only little...

Thats the pipe I have....havent had to clean yet....but love the thought of it coming apart easy.

deadeye316 said:
This is speaking from my experience from my first install 2 days ago. If you never had one before it will take some getting used to at first. I almost had a panic attack because the installers almost cut through a power wire in my wall and then left me with the smoke alarms going off becuase the stove at first will smoke alittle so open some windows. Make a list of questions and dont let them leave till they answered them all. One thing alot of people say is to make sure they go atleast 6 inches from the house on the pipe to protect the siding.
Mine didnt smoke.....but got a bit of "new" stove smell...had to have window open for a lil bit....but ok now. I was fortunate....I cant complain one bit on the installers.....they were very informative with me and they are a service company as well...been around a long time so I guess I am fortunate with that.

hearthtools said:
All good advice

Before they start

Get all things out of the path of work
and the travel path into the house.
(I can’t stand working around Crap)

Have kids stay away

Get your cars out of driveway and out of the way.

Before they start.

Get their names

Ask them if they can paint the pipe that will be inside the house before they install the vent

Ask them to put screws in each joint

Ask them about a thermostat and ask about the placement.

Just to let you homeowner know

Installers work better and get less flustered if you stand back and give them room to work.

If you have questions ask them before the start.

Then if you have more don’t ask them as they are doing something important like taking a measurement or cutting.

If you are looking over their shoulder the whole time they are going to get nervous and it will take longer and they are bound to make mistakes Because they are thinking more about you than they are about the job.

I agree Rod! I had "plenty" of room ready for them inside and out....made sure snow was out of the way.....laid down rugs all on my hardwood floor so they wouldnt have to be bothered with stepping wrongly or moving stove worry free without the hassle of trying to not scratch floor. As for "looking over shoulder" ...lol...We did the introduction thing....then I left them alone...told them if they needed me I would be in the puter room. I am always like that when something is being installed/fixed etc....I can save my observing for AFTER...and if it aint right...then I can voice.

Pete324rocket, our gov't had something in place, but since the change of hands in our prov. leadership, all past funding etc, is on hold till they can review it all. I spoke with my local MLA and they said all bursuries etc. should be starting back up in the new year. Well, here we are!?!
Anyway, thanks again for all the postings! I'll keep everyone up to date! Kurt

pete324rocket said:
I meant to ask you if the gov. in P.E. has an energy refit program in the works.Here in N.B. , with a blower door test at 75 bucks, we are eligible for rebates to upgrade insulation and other energy saving means-included here are low emission heating devices including pellet stoves,though the literature doesn't say "pellet stoves".I had to make a phone call on that.I emailed the premier yesterday as the "big cheese" was in town hoping to jiggle his brain to axe the tax on pellet fuels like some of our neighbors south-side. Makes so much sense to me. Anyways, pellet stoves including pipe gets 20 percent off the total bill- a nice encouragement

I thaught the pellet stove only qualifies if replacing an existing burning device that is not EPA certified ? I actually had the blower door test done, (scored a 78 overall) and according to what I read the only thing that qualifies for the 20% grant or interest free loan is an Energy Star rated oil furance or heat pump. (Unless you have a wood burning device you are replacing as mentioned before)

oh sorry yes ,we had a homemade wood stove-it qualified for the grant. Our blower door test was a 58 and could be increased to a 73 with the recommendations-had it done in the summer and there were a lot of leaks that were fixed since then.Been holding off on the return test as kinda up in the air about further insulation investments.A sound program though.

Just a quick update, THE STOVE IS IN!!! I've turned the oil furnace off all night and day and click it on in the evening to heat the water for baths/showers etc. Other than that, the house has been toasty warm (for the first time) since the installation! I'm on the my third bag of pellets on day three (yesterday was quite mild, so the stove wasn't on much). Last night we woke up in a lather of sweat, so I had to go turn the temp down on the stove (still playing with the best placement for the thermostat).
The installers were great (especially considerring they had to lug a 375lb stove on a Friday afternoon). They answered all my questions up front and they told me right away that they wouldn't be able to set the draft till Wed (but it's been working like a top nonetheless). They laid rugs down from the doorway and all through my living room to avoid any mess. They were very thorough with explaining the stove to me, and called me in for my two cents on certain matters ie: if I was happy with the placement of the stove on the hearth, and to check over the painted pipe and point any spots out that I may think needs some touching up. They also walked me through the work they were going to do and the parts they were going to use (and yes they did use the new piping that has the gaskets, and they screwed them together and taped. The were neat with all they caulking work inside and out and again had me critique the job!
Day #3: couldn't be happier! I'll keep yas posted. Couldn't have done it without all the great advice and tips, thanks.

pe islander said:
Just a quick update, THE STOVE IS IN!!! I've turned the oil furnace off all night and day and click it on in the evening to heat the water for baths/showers etc. Other than that, the house has been toasty warm (for the first time) since the installation! I'm on the my third bag of pellets on day three (yesterday was quite mild, so the stove wasn't on much). Last night we woke up in a lather of sweat, so I had to go turn the temp down on the stove (still playing with the best placement for the thermostat).
The installers were great (especially considerring they had to lug a 375lb stove on a Friday afternoon). They answered all my questions up front and they told me right away that they wouldn't be able to set the draft till Wed (but it's been working like a top nonetheless). They laid rugs down from the doorway and all through my living room to avoid any mess. They were very thorough with explaining the stove to me, and called me in for my two cents on certain matters ie: if I was happy with the placement of the stove on the hearth, and to check over the painted pipe and point any spots out that I may think needs some touching up. They also walked me through the work they were going to do and the parts they were going to use (and yes they did use the new piping that has the gaskets, and they screwed them together and taped. The were neat with all they caulking work inside and out and again had me critique the job!
Day #3: couldn't be happier! I'll keep yas posted. Couldn't have done it without all the great advice and tips, thanks.
Excellent!! You soundlike you had the same good experience that we had....very happy with it all. I ordered the remote thermostat....it came with a wall one but we want the remote one for better placement.....but all in all...very happy to shut that darn furnace off.

pe islander said:

GOOD to here there is some employees that care

pe islander said:
Just a quick update, THE STOVE IS IN!!!

Congratulations pe. Sounds like you got a good crew doing the install. I'm glad it worked out well. FWIW, the majority of dealers are first rate. We tend to hear the problems here much more frequently than the successes, so it's nice to hear a happy ending. Enjoy the warmth of your new stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.