XXV leaking auger motor/gear case?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jslinger

Jan 1, 2013
Vermont
My XXV recently started to make a squealing sound. Not the loud obnoxious one that others have reported. But more of a continuous squeaking/chirping sound. I took of the rear cover of the stove to check the fines box and noticed a small puddle of what seems like some sort of gear oil.
I am not exactly sure what I am looking at. But I assumed it was the gear case for the auger motor.
In the pictures, you can see the small puddle I am referring to. Any help is appreciated. I am going away for about a week. So I was just going to tell my wife to use the oil boiler instead of the stove.
Sorry for the angles. The pictures were right side up when I previewed them to post.
I assure you it isn't defying gravity, and leaking up.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
A continuous chirp is more like a fan that the bearing is going dry.

A continuous chirp is more like a fan that the bearing is going dry.
When run in test mode, the squeaking only occurs when the auger is running.
It seems unlikely the oil leak is unrelated.

When in test mode on my stoves all motors are running and auger is going continuous

When in test mode on my stoves all motors are running and auger is going continuous
Seems different than mine. When I run test mode, the fans start up first. Then I can see the auger turn a few seconds later. It doesn't run the entire time. And the squeaking only occurs when the I can see the auger turning.
And I guess I should have been more specific about the sound. I said "chirping" because it kind of sounds like a cricket. But not in the the sense that it is a short, repetitious sound. It is more like a long drawn out version of the sound a cricket makes. It starts when the auger starts to turn. And is constant until it stops turning. I just didn't want people to get it confused with the typical harman "squealing" auger sound.

Last edited:
Auger should start up after the exhaust fan comes on and gets a vacuum that closes the vacuum switch that completes the auger circuit. Strange the auger does not run continuously. Maybe its a quirk of the PC45s. Maybe someone else can chime in on the auger issue. I use the test function to get a good fire going if I take to long in a daily cleaning of the exchangers.

Have any dry graphite that you could put a spoonful or two on a couple cups of pellets and run through the auger after emptying the hopper of course. You may have something in the auger flights. If it still squeals you will probably have to pull the auger:(

Ok. Thanks for the help. I guess I will leave it until I get back from vacation.
My concern of running it for any testing reasons is the fear of doing further damage. Considering it seems to be leaking oil, I am worried running it further will just make it worse.

.....Far as your 'puddle' goes, thats heated grease leaking out of the gearcase.

Not a biggie but it (drive motor and gearcase) should be pulled end of season and the gearcase split and checked for lubricant (high temperature grease).

It's easy to split by temoving the 6 capscrews (torx or hex depending on manufacturer) and carefully spltting the halves being careful not to loose the thrust washers. Check the quantuty of grease inside. I like to open mine up every couple years, clean out the old (hardened stuff) and repack.

Usually they don't leak but sometimes the mating surfaces have a small gap, and they do. You can always put a smear of blue RTV silicone on the gearbox mating flanges to seal them up.

The gear case should be filled with a lithium grease and that's usually a light tan in color. A few drips is not of much concern IMO. And as Sidecar states pulling is a good practice and fairly easy project.

Perfect. I will tear it apart tomorrow. Do you think there is any reason not to run it? Or should I just keep using it? Even though oil isn't terribly expensive right now, I would prefer not to burn it.

I would have a real issue if there was more than a tablespoon at the bottom of the stove and a sign that it was still dripping.

It's not oil, it's grease. It gets hot and liquifies and comes out. I'd run it and invest in a tube of quality white lithium greasr (like Lubriplate) and a grease gun and replenish it this spring. Oil the motor bearings too (with 3 in 1 electric motor oil)

It's a good idea to open them up every couple years because the grease gets hard inside (from the heat and use) and needs cleaned out and replenished. Good preventative maintenance.

I must say from your pictures that either the srove is pretty new or you are fastidious about keeping it clean inside.... a good thing I might add.

Sounds great. Thanks for all the help. I knew I could count on you guys. This is by far the best forum I have ever been a part of. I can't wait until I have enough experience to give back. Instead of just taking all the time.

I must say from your pictures that either the srove is pretty new or you are fastidious about keeping it clean inside.... a good thing I might add.
3 years old. I do try and keep it as clean as possible. I used the clean the glass every day, because I wanted it perfectly clean. Glad I got over that.

Sounds great. Thanks for all the help. I knew I could count on you guys. This is by far the best forum I have ever been a part of. I can't wait until I have enough experience to give back. Instead of just taking all the time.

3 years old. I do try and keep it as clean as possible. I used the clean the glass every day, because I wanted it perfectly clean. Glad I got over that.
So how often does she make you do it now:) I clean the glass if having company.

So how often does she make you do it now I clean the glass if having company.
Me too. If no one is coming over. It stays dirty. I have probably only cleaned it five or six times this year.

I'm in that boat too. My old girl runs hot enough it stays fairly clean with a white haze.

Status
Not open for further replies.