XXV orange stains on inside of glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually just pop the door open and quickly wipe the window with paper towel about once a day. (Sometimes will use a little ash on the paper towel if window is dirtier than usual) Comes right off. When I shut down and do my weekly cleaning, I use Windex on the cold glass to really clean it up. So far no problems. I think the trick is to not let it get real dirty before cleaning.

If you are getting a sticky residue on the glass it generally means your stove is getting too much combustion air...

We call it glass but it isnt really glass its a ceramic material. I use a wet paper towel on mine when it cools off and that works perfectly. The window is clear and clean.

When I had burnt the Dry Creek pellets my stove had the orange stuff on the glass. Very hard to get off. I usually clean with regular glass cleaner, but the orange stuff wouldn't come off. I think I had some spray glass cleaner with a bit of ammonia that foam's and that took it off with a little elbow grease. I didn't care for the Dry Creek pellets too much. The heat was ok, they burnt with a real orange flame. Made a mess of the glass. Ash was not too bad. Try switching pellets and you will have better luck.

Been using just a wet paper towel as well when I do a major clean which is about once very two or three weeks .It last about two days then gets pretty dirty after that.

Taperbill said:
... I use a hammer and tap the back side of my Croix to loosen up any charred ( baked.. Cajun.. ) on flakes..and yes they do fall down...

Do you really tap the ceramic glass with a hammer or do you just mean the metal components? :bug:

Boom said:
Taperbill said:
... I use a hammer and tap the back side of my Croix to loosen up any charred ( baked.. Cajun.. ) on flakes..and yes they do fall down...

Do you really tap the ceramic glass with a hammer or do you just mean the metal components? :bug:

Boom that wasn't what Taperbill was talking about as far as the "glass" was concerned but the back (metal) of the fire box, even there hammer taping can cause trouble. A cast baffle or back can be permanently broken that way. One should never hit their heat exchanger tubes with anything.

finally i'm back , I may not be making myself clear- it's just the reflective coating on the outside that i'd like to get rid of, I wonder if anyone knows if a chemical will remove it from the outside - or if it has to be removed by an abrasive (again, this isn't dirt it's a reflective coating )
I did check on a price for new glass- $174.00 which seems a little steep.

MARK WHITTAKER said:
finally i'm back , I may not be making myself clear- it's just the reflective coating on the outside that i'd like to get rid of, I wonder if anyone knows if a chemical will remove it from the outside - or if it has to be removed by an abrasive (again, this isn't dirt it's a reflective coating )

you can get the replacement glass for the accentra insert and it'll fit right into the XXV, and it has no metalized coating. I dont know how you could remove it....except maybe acid, but i've never tried it.

MARK WHITTAKER said:

Does it Scratch that easily?

How about removingthe glass and maybe some rubbing compound and a buffer? Just throwing this out there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.