XXV orange stains on inside of glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris288

Nov 1, 2010
ny
How do I fully remove the orange stains on the inside of my Harman XXV glass. tried soft cloth with windex, and soft cloth with stove glass cleaner still couldn't get it all off. My Whitfield would get these but they would come right off with the stove glass cleaner, not so with my new XXV. Any suggestions ? Thanks Chris

clear Flame

533117.jpg

Magic eraser seems to work for me.

Enviro suggests dipping a damp paper towel in the ashes and using it to clean the glass.

I clean mine with Windex twice a day, seems to be staying clean that way. I am basically on a regular routine now of shutting down twice a day to clean the burnpot out and clean the glass.

lordgrinz said:
I clean mine with Windex twice a day, seems to be staying clean that way. I am basically on a regular routine now of shutting down twice a day to clean the burnpot out and clean the glass.

Me thinks I should buy stock in the igniter manufacturer that makes those for Harman ;-).

SmokeyTheBear said:
lordgrinz said:

Me thinks I should buy stock in the igniter manufacturer that makes those for Harman ;-).

Something I should know? Because I let it go 3 days and there was like 1/4" thick carbon buildup in there, figured that wasn't good.

lordgrinz said:

Wow I open the door once a day to scrape the pot and close it back. Only shuts down on Sat morning for its cleaning and that includes a scrape down, clean out of the chamber under the pot, removal of ashes cleaning the glass and cleaning the heat exchanger.

I can honestly say I do not shut down durring the week unless I accidentally let it run out of pellets...

I think you will find that you can open the door slowly and brush off the ash on the lip of the pot and scrap down the pot with a long flathead screwdriver (I bent one special for just this)without a full shutdown.

Rick

Trickyrick said:
lordgrinz said:

Wow I open the door once a day to scrape the pot and close it back. Only shuts down on Sat morning for its cleaning and that includes a scrape down, clean out of the chamber under the pot, removal of ashes cleaning the glass and cleaning the heat exchanger.

I can honestly say I do not shut down durring the week unless I accidentally let it run out of pellets...

I think you will find that you can open the door slowly and brush off the ash on the lip of the pot and scrap down the pot with a long flathead screwdriver (I bent one special for just this)without a full shutdown.

Rick

My idea of a shutdown, is turning the mode switch to OFF, that way I don't have to worry about feeding pellets or the ignitor lighting while I am in there.

lordgrinz said:
Trickyrick said:
lordgrinz said:

Rick

My idea of a shutdown, is turning the mode switch to OFF, that way I don't have to worry about feeding pellets or the ignitor lighting while I am in there.

The igniter is off based on temp and should not come on and as soon as you "break the seal" you loose the vacuum and the unit will not feed. I agree you can get a nice layer of carbon especially with NEWP and running low. I usually can break that up in less than 30 seconds and then just let it flow out as the pellets and ash feed out.

You may not want to be cleaning your glass hot though... I let it cool and just use a damp magik eraser and it takes the hard stuff off.

lordgrinz said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
lordgrinz said:

Something I should know? Because I let it go 3 days and there was like 1/4" thick carbon buildup in there, figured that wasn't good.

To most folks a shutdown isn't a momentary thing.

I can do a hot scrape of things without actually touching the controls. I don't like to do it but I can.

I didn't do anything at all the first 23 bags I put through the stove this year.

Burning these on low is a bit messy on the glass and I don't expect it to stay clean for long, I only clean it when I clean the stove. I do however turn the stove up every once in a while and let a lot of the mess burn off.

lordgrinz said:

Twice a day!? You are babying that stove...jk :bug: ;-)

I only shut mine down once a week at minimum. The glass stays clean for atleast a day before I start seeing
any haze build up. I do give the burnpot a quick scrape once a day, but I don't shut the stove down for it.

If the electric range cleaner is not cutting it, the magic eraser should.

Wow, you guys sure do a lot of cleaning! I can go a couple of weeks between doing all that. If I have company coming I might clean the glass, but all that scraping sounds crazy. It does not require daily cleaning. I think you guys are scaring away perspective pellet stove users! LOL

It only needs a cleaning every one to two weeks, but it does need a daily scraping unless you are burning some kind of miracle pellet that produces no hard carbon residue. If I went two weeks without scraping, I would need a jackhammer to get that carbon off from the burn pot.

I'm using a premium pellet in dry creek and the amount of carbon that builds up in the bottom and sides of the burn pot of our new XXV is INCREDIBLE. It DOES require some daily attention and that carbon doens't come off easily. I could let my whitfield go a week between cleanings only opening the sliders once a day or two, if I went a week without scraping the carbon on this thing i'd need a jackhammer to get it off.

Another for Windex and cleaning every 24 hour cycle.

I use a hammer and tap the back side of my Croix to loosen up any charred ( baked.. Cajun.. ) on flakes..and yes they do fall down.
My stove guy showed me that trick.
I keep a small shop vac nearby and vacuum all the Cold ashes out before re lighting.
It can be done in under 10 minutes..

ahh.. the smell of pellets..
10 bags in with Lumber Jack's and I like em..

This is my forth season with the Harmon XXV, and when you run that baby for what it is worth, you will not need to scrap the pot, I will scrap the pot about once every 10 days on average but it could survive with out the scrapping, I do clean the glass once a week just because of haze. I burn a lot of pellets too! I am averaging 7 and 1/2 tons per heating season. When it is super cold (i.e. -10 or more out with the wind howling I got my settings all almost maxed) i am burning enough to get the top of the stove in the front of the hopper lid to hot to touch.

I scrape my pot once a day and full cleaning and vacuum once a week.

Another vote for the damp paper towel and ash, works great for the stains. Follow that with a clean damp paper towel, then dry........

My Prodigy gets a complete cleaning every three days. This includes cleaning the glass too.

I use a dampened SOS pad then wipe with a damp paper towel followed by a dry one.

The Advantage needs cleaning only once a week and the glass stays a lot cleaner too.

The SOS pad works well to clean the sticky residue off the glass that the nut shells leave.

Every stove is slightly different and the cleaning cycle also depends on the fuel being burned too.

Snowy

HELLO !
I WANTED OT GET AN OPINION ON WHAT TO DO WITH THE SCRATCHES ON THE REFLECTIVE GLASS ON MY NEWLY ACQUIRED (BUT NOT NEW) HARMAN XXV.
HERE'S THE SITUATION ; PRIOR OWNER ALLOWED SOMETHING TO CREATE ABRASION/ STRIATIONS/ SCRATCHES ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE REFLECTIVE GLASS..... THIS HAS NOT SCRATCHED THE GLASS BUT THE REFLECTIVE COATING (WHICH IS ON THE OUTSIDE)- ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN REMOVE THE REFLECTIVE COATING THAT FADES WHEN THE STOVE IS BURNING ???? - LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE ANY INSIGHT !

MARK WHITTAKER said:
HELLO !
I WANTED OT GET AN OPINION ON WHAT TO DO WITH THE SCRATCHES ON THE REFLECTIVE GLASS ON MY NEWLY ACQUIRED (BUT NOT NEW) HARMAN XXV.
HERE'S THE SITUATION ; PRIOR OWNER ALLOWED SOMETHING TO CREATE ABRASION/ STRIATIONS/ SCRATCHES ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE REFLECTIVE GLASS..... THIS HAS NOT SCRATCHED THE GLASS BUT THE REFLECTIVE COATING (WHICH IS ON THE OUTSIDE)- ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN REMOVE THE REFLECTIVE COATING THAT FADES WHEN THE STOVE IS BURNING ???? - LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE ANY INSIGHT !

Hi Mark. Have you priced out what a new peice of glass would cost from the dealer? I think it would be a rather long process to get that off.

(BTW could you PLEASE turn your caps lock off on your key board? )

New around here. But I have been using Windex and it seems to be working. About once a day since I have had the stove.
I know they make a special glass cleaner and am not sure if there is anything special about?

Status
Not open for further replies.