yard wagon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Just bought one of those little metal wagons to pull behind my 4-wheeler for transporting wood out of the woods or around my yard but I have questions. The tires don't hold air because it seems the beads are not sitting correct from the tire being flat.

Now I would like to buy new tires, thats the easy part. But I was thinking of maybe buying new rims also since the edges of the rim seem a little rusty and that could be the cause of the bad beads.

Now the rims and tires are wheel barrow type. I know nothing about these types of rims to replace them. The rim seems to slip on a shaft with some washers, a cotter pin and some grease. does someone know what type I am talking about? Can you point me to new rims on the net. I was looking on flee bay but don't wanna purchase the wrong type.

p.s. or should I just try a couple of cans of fix a flat first?

thanks

Why not just stick tubes in them?

so if I put tubes in them, the tube air stem just sticks out of where the valve stem is now?

Will I be able to take the tire off and put it back on by hand?

thanks

Hey Skinny-
Sometimes I can wrap a rope around the middle of the tire and use a stick to twist it tight and thereby putting even pressure of the bead against the rim all the way around so's she'll hold air. You might have to clean up the rim from rust first or the easiest way may be to add tubes. Don't be so quick to throw money at it. Then you can buy more predator calls!

kenny chaos said:
Hey Skinny-
Sometimes I can wrap a rope around the middle of the tire and use a stick to twist it tight and thereby putting even pressure of the bead against the rim all the way around so's she'll hold air. You might have to clean up the rim from rust first or the easiest way may be to add tubes. Don't be so quick to throw money at it. Then you can buy more predator calls!
ive done that many times my luck not so good even used oil around it as well,worth a shot(tubes are cheap)

kenny chaos said:
Hey Skinny-
Don't be so quick to throw money at it. Then you can buy more predator calls!

I like the way you think! But I have tons of hand calls and a couple Electronic calls!!!

I found a set of 2 tubes on Ebay. $20 shipped.

I've got those little wheelbarrow tires on my yard cart and I put tubes in them a couple years ago after I got tired of fighting the flat tires. About $6 each at TSC.

just shove the tube into the tire past the bead all the way around, sprinkle the tube with baby powder evenly (talcum powder if possible) or tire talc (just no scent only difference from baby powder) inflate and deflate the tire 2 or three times so it seats correctly and your all set. I do this all the time on small piston powered airplanes that almost all have tubes and split rims.

As others have said . . . save your money and buy one or two tubes for the tires rather than trying to buy new tires and/or rims.

When you put the tubes in, do yourself a favor and put a little hose clamp around the valve stem after you get it sticking out of the rim...this will keep it from disappearing into the tire when you first start to inflate the tube before there's anything to push against. Rick

kenny chaos said:
Northern tool has the tire & hub on sale for $5.
That's a better deal than $20 for tubes on fleabay.

fossil said:
When you put the tubes in, do yourself a favor and put a little hose clamp around the valve stem after you get it sticking out of the rim...this will keep it from disappearing into the tire when you first start to inflate the tube before there's anything to push against. Rick

How many gumballs for that scenario?

fossil said:
...put a little hose clamp around the valve stem...
I have one of those T shaped valve stem rethreaders that I screw on so as not to lose the stem inside while messing with the tire. Then when you're ready to put air to it, you unthread the tool keeping side pressure on the stem and inflate.
AN010098.gif

Right, tried that too. Works fine on a little tire or a bike. I was tubing a fat rear on a lawn tractor, and I lost the stem three or four times. The hose clamp did the trick. I paid my tuition for that lesson, just passin' along what worked for me. Rick

It's more money up front but I put one of those 'solid' tires on my wheelbarrow. Don't have to worry about flat after flat and the tire losing air while sitting. Got it at Home Depot.

beau5278 said:
Green Slime is cheaper and way easier than putting tubes in small tires,I've never had a tire leak down after putting it in.

Huh never heard of green slime...amything like fix a flat? But I'm with the other tube guys. We have a total of 7 of those wheelbarrow sized tires on diff kinds of equipment and put tubes in them all. Even the Kubota's got tubes...just got tired of wasting my time with down tires.

Green Slime is kind of like fix a flat but it isn't aerosol and it's designed to seal tubeless tires,not just get you going again if you have a flat.I think it was originally made for ATV tires but it works in any thinwall tire,I've used it on 30yr old weather checked lawn mower tires and it keeps them inflated.Walmart sells it,as does Tractor Supply,6 or 8oz in a wheel barrow or front lawn tractor tire is all you need.You have to take the valve core out of the valve stem,then use a short hose that comes with the bottle to put it in the tire,then just air it back up and your good to go.The stuff doesn't go bad,I usually keep a larger bottle of it around so I ave it when I need it.Check it out here,http://www.slime.com/

beau5278 said:
Green Slime is kind of like fix a flat but it isn't aerosol and it's designed to seal tubeless tires,not just get you going again if you have a flat.I think it was originally made for ATV tires but it works in any thinwall tire,I've used it on 30yr old weather checked lawn mower tires and it keeps them inflated.Walmart sells it,as does Tractor Supply,6 or 8oz in a wheel barrow or front lawn tractor tire is all you need.You have to take the valve core out of the valve stem,then use a short hose that comes with the bottle to put it in the tire,then just air it back up and your good to go.The stuff doesn't go bad,I usually keep a larger bottle of it around so I ave it when I need it.Check it out here,http://www.slime.com/
you can buy the green slime tubes already in there(got them in my aerator)

OK thanks for the heads up on green slime...I'll give it shot next time.

so I got some tubes for the tires but stupid question time.

How the heck do I get the tubes in the tires????

skinnykid said:
so I got some tubes for the tires but stupid question time.

How the heck do I get the tubes in the tires????
lol use a coulpe of screw driver to pry one side of the tire from the rim put tube in and be careful not to pinch the tube when you pry the tire back on!

Status
Not open for further replies.