yellow jacket eradication

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep... most importantly, the Japenese wasps they're introducing to control EAB. I used to kill any I'd find, but now I'm learning to leave 'em alone, unless they're set up somewhere myself or the kids are likely to have an unfriendly encounter.

Can I still kill horse flies, though?

Any pest control experts out there? Ever since I moved into this house three years ago, I've had trouble with yellow jackets. Up until this year, the nests have been away from the house. Now, unfortunately, they're under the siding and I'm not having much luck getting rid of them.

In the attached picture, the nest is somewhere to the left of the front door in that area behind the light. I first noticed them coming and going where the white trim meets the j-channel on the sheltered part of the door opening. I blew a bunch of permethrin dust into that open, and all was quiet for a few days. Then, I noticed them coming and going from under the soffit above the door. Same thing, I dusted them and there was nothing.

Now, they're entering and exiting where the siding meets the corner post, above and to the left of the light. I'm starting to get a bit nervous here. This is hard to describe, but that area to the left of the door is hollow. I can't readily access it, but I think it's probably a 2x2 open space, the height of the first floor. My house was cheaply built (don't blame me!) and there is no exterior OSB sheathing. Just a bit of blueboard insulation. I'm worried the jackets have chewed through the insulation and have a nest inside that hollow spot.

I'm almost ready to call an extirminator, but was trying to save $200. Just want to get them killed before they find a hole into the house.

View attachment 107069

I have the same problem, and am calling an exterminator tomorrow. For the future, though, is there a way to poison them without getting so close? I am not allergic, but I still don't want them coming out of their nest and after me because I stuck a sprayer in the space. Why doesn't anyone invent a "roomba" for spraying bees and emtying out mouse traps?

Ann, spray them at night or in the early morning. They're much quieter then, and much less likely to come after you. Don't mess with them during the day, it's not worth it.

My exterminator killed them all on the first try.

Yes, spray that long range spray at dusk while you can still see. Get one of those tyvek paint suits if you're nervous.

Mith..... Unfortunately my house has similar construction and I've had the same situation with those buggers. They were coming in just above the gutters. Dropped a 4x4 in the gutter
and put a cover over it. Tracking dust on the 4x4 just in front of the opening. It took a week or 2 but then they were gone. Nests were btwn studs & 3 or 4 ft tall. Once gone you'll need
to figure out how to close up those walls. Let that dust work for a bit before calling in the pro's. Good luck
rn

How about bumblebees? I found 1 ground nest on the side of a grassy incline in the yard and sit outside a bit away from the nest and could easily guess about 50 around the house moving about. I have grandkids and noticed them a few weeks ago when they great in numbers. I found a dead one so confirmed it was a bumblebee. They pretty much leave you alone until I went past on the riding mower. Then all he'll broke loose. I hit the gas and high tailed it out of the area.

Dealing with the same, here. They seem pretty innocuous, compared to those aggressive yellow jackets. They don't really give chase, they just buzz around and look ominous.

They are aggressive if they feel their nest or themselves are in harm. If you just go about your business they leave you alone. A 20hp lawn tractor is another story.

We have a bazillion bumblebees, especially in spring and early summer. I work right along side of them in the gardens. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. Lots of bees around are a good sign IMO.

Dust for home problems.

Gas and Bic for yard problems.

Same for ants.

They are aggressive if they feel their nest or themselves are in harm. If you just go about your business they leave you alone. A 20hp lawn tractor is another story.
Didn't know they're really concerned with the HP of my tractor, but I mow with a 25hp Deere 757 ZTrak. :p I can out-run 'em!

Wasps and hornets are important predators of plant eating insects. They can be rough if you threaten a nest, but otherwise will just go about their business.

The problem is, sometimes you end up "threatening a nest" by going about your business :p Two weeks ago I opened my garage door from inside, grabbed something off the shelf and walked out the overhead door to the car. As soon as I crossed the threshold I got lit up by a bunch of angry yellowjackets !!! After cursing a bluestreak, swatting like a madman and running for about 20 yards I turned back to see that they had built a nest in the light above the garage and were swarming around it like crazy. The vibration from the garage door opener must have put them on the alert, so when I walked outside I became their target. I know that they have a place in the food chain/ecosystem, but if I find them anywhere in/on the house or in the yard where I need to mow or the kids play they're toast...

BTW, after spraying to no avail (the nest was behind the light fixture) I ended up getting a rope, lassoing the fixture, and yanking it off the house from about 30' away. The light was old and the motion sensor no longer worked so it was no big loss. With the hole opened up I was able to actually hit the nest with spray. Luckily I'm not allergic, but my forehead swelled up (they got me right on the hairline) and I looked like Lt. Warf from Star Trek for a few days _g

We have a bazillion bumblebees, especially in spring and early summer. I work right along side of them in the gardens. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. Lots of bees around are a good sign IMO.

Bumblebees I only tend to see flying amongst the clover in the yard-I've never had a bumblebee nest/hive around the house. Only wasps, yellowjackets, and hornets. Much more aggressive. Bumblebees will actually avoid you and will really only sting if handled or stepped on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.