scagger Posted By scagger, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:43 PM

1. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    I thought it was odd that my stove didn't come on once today. I went to check it out and the burn pot overfilled with pellets. This has happened before when the stove would not ignite, but not to this extreme. I figured I would just have to clean out the pot and I'd be good to go. Nope, won't feed pellets. I can hear the auger motor trying, but not feeding. I blew out that vacuum tube from the auger tube, but no luck. I just replaced this auger in October of last year. This thing hates me.

2. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    What model do you have? kap

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    Castile insert.

4. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    If you can hear the auger trying to run, it is not the vac switch or hose, as there is power to the auger. I would pull the auger assy. to see if any fuel or something else is jammed up against the motor. Usually a pot overflow is due to a dirty exhaust or pot, or too much fuel. Make sure all holes are clear, esp. the 8 small ones. 4 in pot floor and 4 in bottom front of pot. May need to adjust feed rate per specs in manual. Also is there a flashing light in control box? If so, could be having issues with firepot thermocouple. kap

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Jack Morrissey likes this.
  5. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    I vacuumed out all of the pellets this morning so I could feel the auger coil. It's not turning, but I hear the motor...sounds like a grinding sound. I will pull it out this afternoon and do a bench test. Thanks Kap.

6. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    Oh by any chance, do you know what the usual warranty is on an OEM auger motor?

7. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    Supposed to be 12 months.

8. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    I could be mistaken, but I thought they changed that to 90 days. Ya I know. A joke. Easier way to tell if auger is turning, instead of emptying hopper, feel for shaft behind auger motor. kap

9. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    Yep,I think you are right,ESES says 90 days.On the plus side,they have the OE motor on sale right now,150 bucks.

10. bob bare

bob bare
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 31, 2013
    Loc:
    park county montana
    It could also be the set screw came loose.

11. scagger

scagger
    Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 4, 2008
    Loc:
    Central MA
    Update: I fixed it. I pulled the auger out and bench tested it, tested OK. So I reinstalled it and it is working. I guess it was jammed up with pellets. I use my shop vac to empty the hopper, works great. Thanks for everyone's input.

kappel15 and bob bare like this.
  12. kappel15

kappel15
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Sep 14, 2014
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Glad you figured it out. Stay warm. kap

bob bare likes this.