you helped before; need-to meet codes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

literblu

Jan 1, 2007
hey all. Need lots of help this time. Had a "little" chimney issue and called fd for precaution. They turned me over to county code. No use until a-z meet their stamp and they didn't even go on the roof cause "I" don't have a tall enough ladder. So, really think i should tear down old chimney(old, cracking, no liner) and replace with ???Pipe/go inside w/pipe? the stove is old american eagle (not environ. friendly, but reliable)-Money IS an object (that i don't have and the propane boiler keeps kicking on--$278.00 delivery today/ave. per mo. in winter). Could buy repair stuff, but people i know won't touch county issue and the pros don't seem to want a "small" job w/out selling me stuff i cant pay for- HHHHEEELLLLPPPPP. wyoming county, ny. definitely learning a lot trying to keep warm---think i need a deal i cant refuse-and dont ask who helped with the first ignorant (uneducated install)

Tear the chimney down and go with an internal class A system. Seems like the lowest cost and best performing option to me?

Get yourself over to home Depot and see if anything is left they are clearing out stoves 50% off either englanders or Certury's probably an Englander Nc-30
the price can not be beat for that quality stove

It is hard to diagnose from afar - the question is how bad the existing chimney is. If the outside masonry structure is in some kind of reasonable condition, one relatively low cost option is:
1. Clean, scrape and stucco outside of chimney
2. Clean inside, line with stainless steel and insulate it, either with wrap or with a poured vermiculite/cement mixture.

A critical part is where the chimney passes through the interior wall. Make certain you educate yourself about this before doing the job. Some articles in our Main Info section address this.

tyvm and will consider all suggestions and ideas; thought outside chim. was "passable" filled 2 cracks, replaced top 2 blocks, "proper" cap, etc. code guy is going to be tough. knows what retail people would like to "help" me with, knows where tractor supply is as well,; but now i have to conform on little $ thank you again;

code guy is going to be tough. He will not allow any installation into an un lined chimney If structual integerity is an issue the chimney is useless how is the rest of the brick work and motar joints how old is it? If the Fd is refering you to code officials it sounds like it is in such a condition thar a few crack repairs soes not cut it by crack repairs are you talking about caulking compoind or were the dricks and motar removed and replaced in a new motar bed? If the motar joints have turned to powdering than the crack repair was useless
to me it sounds like a tear down and rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.