You Know You Have Poor Quality Pellets When?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
homebrewz said:
If you do a quick search on this forum for Boreal pellets, I think you'll find they have less than favorable reviews.
However, you might as well use them, unless you can return them for something else. Experimenting with the
air control to find the most efficient burn will help somewhat.

I'll add a comment on Boreal pellets... don't use them if you don't have to. When I bought my stove this year I got a free, yes free, ton of them. And I can't wait to be done w/ them. Super ash-y. Not bad really on the fines dept., but very ashy and I don't think they burn very hot at all. But then, my options for buying pellets right now are rather limited so I prolly should be happy I have some at least.
j

Well, I've only got 4 1/2 tons of those Boreals left to burn. At 1 1/2 - 2 bags a day they should all be gone in about four months. Next year I will try to search out something better. I will have to say though that the price was right, and there really was no other options for this year. As for burning hot, my P61 will get hotter than the fires of Hell if I want it to with these pellets, but very messy.

You know that your pellets are questionable when you spend as much time getting the auger unbound as you do heating. When it is finally functioning, the fire is smothered by the vast amounts of ash.

I bought 2 tons of Pennington pellets and 2 tons of tidy timbers. I began burning the Pennington’s first because of my concern with them since soo many people have had problems. Since burning the pellets there have been a lot of fines and longs. Some pellets are as long as 4”. So if you have a picky stove that needs smaller pellets I would advise against getting Pennington. Also just recently when I poured a bag of PENNINGTON’s into the hopper I noticed that there was a piece of wood inside that bag. It was not a long pellet but a 5” piece of wood. I feel that I cannot trust Pennington anymore. Their pellets are so inconsistant. I then called peggy at customer service who did nothing about the problem but advise me to call home depot where I purchased them and have them exchange them out. First thats not home depots problem its Pennington’s. I can see doing that if the bags were ripped but this is a 5” piece of WOOD inside of the bag. Secondly, home depot towmotor does not fit inside of my garage so I have to take out the ton of pellets by hand and load the exchanged pellets back into the garage by hand. Lastly I am not ven sure that they would exchange them or have any pellets left. Thats some good advice PENNINGTON!!! Dish your responsibility to someone else to deal with including your customers. It is not worth the hassel with this company. I will NEVER buy PENNINGTON PELLETS AGAIn!!!
Pennington customer service doesnt care about their customers or their chitty products. Mybe they will start to care when no one buys their crappy pellets. I believe that they dont care this year because of the pellet crunch and the fact that there was a shortage which makes it unfortunate that people have to buy whats out there. But it shows you what type of company Pennington really is. They add insult to injury when they know that their customers have little choice to find other available pellets especially near winter. All I know is that I will never buy from pennington again, period. I wont support those who dont care about their customers and stand by their products which is the least that they can do. It is just amazing how many issues people are having with this company and it is not just isolated incidents it is wide spread and it is long term, not just this year. DONT you remember last years fiasco!!! !!

please302 said:
I bought 2 tons of Pennington pellets and 2 tons of tidy timbers. I began burning the Pennington’s first because of my concern with them since soo many people have had problems. Since burning the pellets there have been a lot of fines and longs. Some pellets are as long as 4”. So if you have a picky stove that needs smaller pellets I would advise against getting Pennington. Also just recently when I poured a bag of PENNINGTON’s into the hopper I noticed that there was a piece of wood inside that bag. It was not a long pellet but a 5” piece of wood. I feel that I cannot trust Pennington anymore. Their pellets are so inconsistant. I then called peggy at customer service who did nothing about the problem but advise me to call home depot where I purchased them and have them exchange them out. First thats not home depots problem its Pennington’s. I can see doing that if the bags were ripped but this is a 5” piece of WOOD inside of the bag. Secondly, home depot towmotor does not fit inside of my garage so I have to take out the ton of pellets by hand and load the exchanged pellets back into the garage by hand. Lastly I am not ven sure that they would exchange them or have any pellets left. Thats some good advice PENNINGTON!!! Dish your responsibility to someone else to deal with including your customers. It is not worth the hassel with this company. I will NEVER buy PENNINGTON PELLETS AGAIn!!!
Pennington customer service doesnt care about their customers or their chitty products. Mybe they will start to care when no one buys their crappy pellets. I believe that they dont care this year because of the pellet crunch and the fact that there was a shortage which makes it unfortunate that people have to buy whats out there. But it shows you what type of company Pennington really is. They add insult to injury when they know that their customers have little choice to find other available pellets especially near winter. All I know is that I will never buy from pennington again, period. I wont support those who dont care about their customers and stand by their products which is the least that they can do. It is just amazing how many issues people are having with this company and it is not just isolated incidents it is wide spread and it is long term, not just this year. DONT you remember last years fiasco!!! !!

Sorry to hear about this. You might be right that Pennington doesn't care this year due to the crisis. I had a problem with their pellets last year and they gave me a full refund on the ton. I hoped at the time they would get their act together because I was planning to try their pellets again since they did back their product (at least last year). Now, I won't give them another chance. Better to burn nothing and rely on propane than to burn pellets of this quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.