You know you live in the north country if...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyAndy

Feb 29, 2008
Chateaugay, NY
you switch from heat to a/c in the same day.

sunday the temp was in the 50's all day, and down into the 40's at night. so when we got home sunday evening i got a fire going and burned through the night. yesterday it was almost 90. last night we ran the a/c in our bedroom to cool it down and cut the humidity a bit. it's funny, someone sent me one of those "you know you live in the north country if..." emails a few weeks and one of them was "you switch from heat to a/c in the same day. i didnt actually think it was possible!

We did that last week also (Saturday I think). I was trying to avoid it, but it was too damned humid to sleep. Turned the AC on to take out the humidity.

Here too !

I hated doing it but it was 95 here Sunday, could not sleep even with fans.

Wood stove on Thursday. Central air on Sunday. Crazy weather.

Huh? It's been the same 40-60 degree swing here since March. I could really use the heat of July when we might hit 80!

Its been warm, dry and the wind has been blowing 10-20. Wood will be seasoned by the 4th of July.

Snowed a bit last night. Rick

Funny you should mention the wood seasoning... (not that it isn't on just about all our minds..)

It was sunny and high 80's here on Sunday. I went to check on my "green" stack of oak to make sure it was stable (the corner of my other stack fell a week or so ago and I am taking to check to be sure it passes the shake test since the kids aren't the best at staying away from the piles). Anyway - I noticed a decent amount of an odor of the oak seasoning on the downwind side of it (slight breeze)... I don't really particularly like the smell of the warm oak, but knowing that it is drying out makes it a nice sweet smell to me now :)

Slow1 said:
... I don't really particularly like the smell of the warm oak, but knowing that it is drying out makes it a nice sweet smell to me now :)

I love the smell of warm oak. It makes me think of a warm house on a cold winter night. I already miss winter a little.

Warm here Saturday and chilly Sunday. Warm here on Monday and I just started the stove. Weather can't make up its mind what to do.

We are running about 10C days but dipping to -10 or so at night. The test for the end of winter at my place is when we can get out to see whats going on. Usually the road is passable by May but on heavy snow years [35' or more] we are still snowshoeing on May 10.

snowtime said:
We are running about 10C days but dipping to -10 or so at night. The test for the end of winter at my place is when we can get out to see whats going on. Usually the road is passable by May but on heavy snow years [35' or more] we are still snowshoeing on May 10.

Love your style of living. We are at the start of our progressive melt right now.

We've been over 90 degrees daily since Friday, felt the cold front moving in last night around dinner time because the winds picked up like crazy (bbq grill walked across the deck) and the temps were dropping fast around sunset. Woke up this morning to 37 degrees out, frost expected tonight. Guess I'll haul in an armload of wood tonight after dinner and lay the fire.

gerry100 said:
I love the smell of drying oak in the morning.... it smells like ..... victory.

YUP!

CowboyAndy said:
you switch from heat to a/c in the same day. !

Happens all the time in Florida!

although in the summers we sometimes have to open the freezer and refrigerator both to cool the house down......

Status
Not open for further replies.