You'all have made me a scroung-a-holic (pics)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trundle

Feb 12, 2011
Western MT
Hi everyone. Took a drive up to the thompson river area west of my place to check out the fishing possibilities (rivers and creeks pretty much all over MT are completely blown out right now so that idea got nixed real quick). So I went to plan B which was to meander around the forest roads til I found a easy roadside scrounge opportunity. I was very surprised to come across this nice dead fire-scarred douglas fir 10 feet off the road. I couldn't believe no one else had nabbed this sucker but on closer inspection it leaned pretty hard the wrong way. No problem - I've got wedges and I ain't afraid to use them! :) Anyway, doug fir is about as good as it gets for firewood in these parts (western larch is the top choice). Hope you'all are having a productive spring and happy scrounging!

Attachments

• DSC01181.jpg
    DSC01181.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 541
  • DSC01182.jpg
    DSC01182.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 548
  • DSC01183.jpg
    DSC01183.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC01186.jpg
    DSC01186.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 546
Very nice!

Thanks fireview. The pictures don't show the fact that at the time (2 days ago) the tailgate was broken and wouldn't open so my back is still feeling it. :-S

Trundle, even though you got no fish, you did very well in finding that. I'd call that trip a success.

Trundle said:
Hi everyone. Took a drive up to the thompson river area west of my place to check out the fishing possibilities (rivers and creeks pretty much all over MT are completely blown out right now so that idea got nixed real quick). So I went to plan B which was to meander around the forest roads til I found a easy roadside scrounge opportunity. I was very surprised to come across this nice dead fire-scarred douglas fir 10 feet off the road. I couldn't believe no one else had nabbed this sucker but on closer inspection it leaned pretty hard the wrong way. No problem - I've got wedges and I ain't afraid to use them! :) Anyway, doug fir is about as good as it gets for firewood in these parts (western larch is the top choice). Hope you'all are having a productive spring and happy scrounging!

Trundle nice score, is that a sawmill in the background?

Zap

Thanks Dennis. You're right, a successful and fun way to spend time in the woods.
Zap, nope, not a mill...its a canoe rack :) ha ha. its a buddys 26ft mighty mite mill that I'm using this summer for some long beams I need to mill up. I will, of course, keep you guys posted. Hey wait, that was almost a pun...

Attachments

• DSC01187.jpg
    DSC01187.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 478
Trundle said:
Thanks Dennis. You're right, a successful and fun way to spend time in the woods.
Zap, nope, not a mill...its a canoe rack :) ha ha. its a buddys 26ft mighty mite mill that I'm using this summer for some long beams I need to mill up. I will, of course, keep you guys posted. Hey wait, that was almost a pun...

Milling and running the river my very two favorites! ;-P

Yeah Jay. Head out in the morning and reduce the fish population a little, then head home and increase the beam population a little... what could be better?

Dennis. I've been working out of the home area for alot of this spring so haven't been staying updated and I forgot to ask how you're healing up? Hope you're ahead of schedule.

PS. Keep Smiling :)

Nice looking load in the bed of the truck!

Trundle said:
Dennis. I've been working out of the home area for alot of this spring so haven't been staying updated and I forgot to ask how you're healing up? Hope you're ahead of schedule.

PS. Keep Smiling :)

Thanks Trundle. Yes, the healing is coming along pretty good now. I can finally put my shoe and sock on without help again. The last time I rode the bike was Sunday and it was very windy but I still managed to get in 20 miles albeit a bit slow. That hip and leg is still pretty weak but is getting better all the time and I'm not quite so limited on doing things. The hardest thing though is getting up. For example, I sharpened the mower blades and every time I had to get up I was very thankful the mower was there to have something to take hold of to help me up. I'm struggling a bit with that but hopefully in time it will be okay. I suspect it is the combination of having both hips replaced that is causing some weakness there. But, as stated, I'm getting better.

So this summer I'll leave the fishing to you and I'll be out riding the bike. Also I am not on any RAAM crew this year. I was asked but turned it down. Maybe next year.

Great to hear you're on the mend Dennis! Hip replacement isn't exactly minor stuff so a few aches and pains along the road to recovery are to be expected (like I need to tell you that, ha ha). Your great attitude and strong will (not to mention your ornery wife) are attributes that will see you through and you'll be back to full-on backwoods savagery in no time.

PS. I know this is a woods forum but be prepared for a picture heavy fishing thread once the high water recedes a little bit around here! :coolsmile:

Are you even sure the water will recede this year? The way things are going it doesn't look too good. But I do hope you can get in some fishing soon.

Trundle said:

Big_Redd (another member here) swears its "Gods Own Firewood"
Wedges.....yup I use'em
If it was'nt for the rain, my spring would-have-been super productive

WoodButcher

Woodbutcher. I don't think I'd go as far as Big Redd in my description of doug fir but it is dang good stuff. I try to nab some any chance I get! And I hear ya about the rain. It's a soggy mess around here right now and I'm starting to wonder if B Sav is right and we'll be flooded out all dang summer. :bug:

Hey, we're in luck. It hasn't rained so far yet today.... Looks like a big rain moving through the Dakotas and about to hit Minnesota now.

Status
Not open for further replies.