Your Christmas tree is on the way

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
Took this from my roof today. They very selectively cut each year and when they're done, you don't even notice the difference. It's a pretty large operation with these groves all over.

The best part is, I can go over and get the trunks that they cut off to split and burn. I've got over 1-1/2 cords stacked out from over there so far from last season. An armful at a time. Many are surprisingly large.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
My tree is already here. It comes out of a box each year ;)

Nice slow score, easy to process !!

Reactions: Sprinter
wow, I wouldnt think the heli would make the farm any more profitable. It looks like a tractor and trailer could manuever in there. Anyways, you got a cool spot to watch and collect some good stuff.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Yeah, we just moved here last year and I was very surprised to see that helo last November. Pretty entertaining. They actually cut a bunch of large trees a few weeks ago for shipping overseas. Now, that has to be a very expensive tree.

Heck my Christmas trees have been up since the first week of october_g

In MI they usually start cutting the trees around the end of October but the business is not half of what it used to be. Once the artificial trees got decent, the market went to pot. There are still a few tree farms left though.

In MI they usually start cutting the trees around the end of October but the business is not half of what it used to be. Once the artificial trees got decent, the market went to pot. There are still a few tree farms left though.
Agreed, with generations changing and artificial being the easier and less costly choice. I'm still stuck how I was raised, real trees.

A real tree in my living room with my liberty and a temperature of 87 degrees would be naked in a week:eek:

Until I moved here, I'd never seen so many tree farms. This County if full of them. But it's a more difficult business to be successful at than it may seem. Many small ones are abandoned and look awful. I think a lot of people try to make a few extra bucks on their small acreage and fail. The nice ones are continuously maintained, trimmed, even fertilized. Three species dominate here; Doug Fir, Grand Fir and Noble Fir (my fav).

Until I moved here, I'd never seen so many tree farms. This County if full of them. But it's a more difficult business to be successful at than it may seem. Many small ones are abandoned and look awful. I think a lot of people try to make a few extra bucks on their small acreage and fail. The nice ones are continuously maintained, trimmed, even fertilized. Three species dominate here; Doug Fir, Grand Fir and Noble Fir (my fav).

My fave is the grand fir. There is no better smelling tree on the planet.

In 1972 my secretary asked me to come over to her apartment. "No romance, I need help taking down my Christmas tree.". It was July in Texas. She had left her tree up since Christmas because she couldn't figure out how to get the monster out of there and had kept the drapes closed so nobody would see it. ;lol

Sorry, I get the feeling I'm missing an untold joke there somewhere. Maybe I'm dense. ;em
No joke, our 4 trees have really been up since the first week of October. I believe in getting that chore done early so I can just sit back as laugh at everyone else running around like they are nuts in December. I'm not the only one. My aunt started a couple days before us and she puts up 4 trees also

Hopefully they are artificial trees.

Plenty of Christmas tree farms up this way still . . . they seem to be doing pretty well in fact. I think part of the new deal is that they really have changed and marketed themselves as more of a full-on experience . . . it's no longer just a trip out to get a tree, but rather they have music on, snacks (free or for sale), often horse or tractor-drawn rides out to the trees, etc.

I hate the current Christmas trees. All trimmed and dense. To me a beautiful tree is a balsam, natural, with a straight trunk and evenly spaced branches with lots of room between them for stringing the lights and hanging the ornaments from the branches, not on the outside of a dense tree. The old fashioned trees are beautiful with lights and ornaments and singly placed strands of icicles. I can't find wild trees anymore. I start keeping an eye out in the summer (Dad used to choose the tree in the Autumn, and mark it, then go back for it), but lately have resorted to Charley Brown trees from my property, that need cutting to let other trees grow well. With no wee ones around, I get some satisfaction from a live tree that I know has helped another be a better tree....

Rideau, we too like to cut our own trees from our property and it sounds as if we like the same sort of tree although we have no balsam here. But we like decorating like you do. We do not grow trees special for Christmas but just go out and choose one that looks like it needs decorating. It will be up in a couple weeks.

Reactions: eclecticcottage
We also get a fresh tree from either our property or along the roadside under the power/phone lines... they're doomed to be cut down when they get too large. Our good deed to Bell Canada and/or Hydro One;lol Just the "Chain Saw Fairy" making pre-emptive strikes so we don't lose access to either due to lack of maintenance by the utilities.

Visiting the in-laws, the huge live tree auction for NY city area is a few miles from here. http://www.buffalovalleyproduce.com/christmastrees.html It is a major operation, tractor trailers rolling in and out 24/7 for weeks before then a huge auction. Then more tractor trailers rolling out loaded to the brim to sell.
No wonder real trees from a dealer don't last very long.. they've been cut and moving for weeks before now...
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2013/11/christmas_tree_prices_at_aucti.html
I was up in Maine for work a few weeks ago, saw many Canadian trucks hauling trees south.
My tree is in the attic.

We have an artificial tree...even though we burn mostly pine, DH is actually allergic and it makes him sneeze...

Although...my dream property would have been a huge farm with part set aside as a tree farm, and we also raised reindeer, lavender with a few cabins in the trees and lavender parts. The one in the trees would have the trees around it lit and decorated all year around, and the cabin too.

My grandparents always cut a tree from their property, until grandpa couldn't anymore then they got an ugly artificial tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.