Your Hearth, From Where You Sit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe 300 feet, and too wet for a wheelbarrow. There is standing water in the path between my wood stacks and the old stone wall they sit behind, not just soggy ground.

I could carry a few arm loads that far, but not enough to keep going any amount of time at my usual three loads per day.
Put up a zip line and have one person on either end loading and unloading

Reactions: Ashful
Just chuck it! Surely there is a catapult setting around near a house that old.

When I think of homes as old as yours I can’t help but imagining the old wars and things are still going on.

Just chuck it! Surely there is a catapult setting around near a house that old.

When I think of homes as old as yours I can’t help but imagining the old wars and things are still going on.

This particular house was built and owned by Mennonites, so no war history here. They were devout and pious passivists. But I did grow up with a few notable houses that had been handed down thru generations of the family, including a few that played key roles in the war for independence. Some you’ve even likely read about in your high school history books.

Most of these notable old houses were owned by my grandparents’ or great-grandparents’ generation and were sold off over the course of my childhood or teenage years, as their value and cost outgrew the capacity of anyone in my parents’ generation to inherit and maintain them. Only one remains, and it is indeed full of old junk collected over 300 years of constant occupation by only two families, an uncle of mine and his priors being the owners for the last 180 of that. Maybe there is even a catapult stuffed into that barn, somewhere. But him never being a farmer, the barns on that property have fallen into such disrepair that it may be a load-bearing catapult, at this point.

Believe me Randy, I have considered conveyor and zip line ideas, but that would complete the already-mostly-false notion that I’m burning wood to save money. Zip lines don’t haul wood up hill, at least not at the cheap cost of gravity.

This particular house was built and owned by Mennonites, so no war history here. They were devout and pious passivists. But I did grow up with a few notable houses that had been handed down thru generations of the family, including a few that played key roles in the war for independence. Some you’ve even likely read about in your high school history books.

Most of these notable old houses were owned by my grandparents’ or great-grandparents’ generation and were sold off over the course of my childhood or teenage years, as their value and cost outgrew the capacity of anyone in my parents’ generation to inherit and maintain them. Only one remains, and it is indeed full of old junk collected over 300 years of constant occupation by only two families, an uncle of mine and his priors being the owners for the last 180 of that. Maybe there is even a catapult stuffed into that barn, somewhere. But him never being a farmer, the barns on that property have fallen into such disrepair that it may be a load-bearing catapult, at this point.

Believe me Randy, I have considered conveyor and zip line ideas, but that would complete the already-mostly-false notion that I’m burning wood to save money. Zip lines don’t haul wood up hill, at least not at the cheap cost of gravity.
Add a pulley on the high side and an electric or gas motor on the low side. I’m sure it won’t cost much

Add a pulley on the high side and an electric or gas motor on the low side. I’m sure it won’t cost much

Unless I’m to hire someone to do the loading or unloading, I’d have to ride the zip line back and forth. I can’t imagine having a chair lift running between my house and the wood lot.

Reactions: moresnow

PTO on ashful's tractor. Think really long hay elevator or a series of them. You know, the ones that you use to load hay bales off of the truck and up onto the stack. Just rambling now while we wait for the freeze.

thats probably longer than i would want to carry by hand through a pond as well
That's where kids and/or grandkids come into play...
;) ;) :) :)
Not an optimal solution for most people however.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Unless I’m to hire someone to do the loading or unloading, I’d have to ride the zip line back and forth. I can’t imagine having a chair lift running between my house and the wood lot.
If you build it... they will come.

PTO on ashful's tractor. Think really long hay elevator or a series of them. You know, the ones that you use to load hay bales off of the truck and up onto the stack. Just rambling now while we wait for the freeze.
I think we’re on to something here.

You guys are dangerous. Now you have me actually contemplating this.

Right now, I'm busy adding rear hydraulics to my tractor, so I can add a hydraulic dump option to the wagon I recently purchased. The wagon is primarily used for moving firewood to the house, and it's stored full of wood on the porch, from where I grab it to load the stoves. However, now I'm thinking of using it for hauling mulch to the gardens, where I can dump it.

This years' spring mulch delivery will probably come to 100 yards. That's a lot of mulch to move, no matter how you do it.

Right now, I'm busy adding rear hydraulics to my tractor, so I can add a hydraulic dump option to the wagon I recently purchased. The wagon is primarily used for moving firewood to the house, and it's stored full of wood on the porch, from where I grab it to load the stoves. However, now I'm thinking of using it for hauling mulch to the gardens, where I can dump it.

This years' spring mulch delivery will probably come to 100 yards. That's a lot of mulch to move, no matter how you do it.
Just think you could be the only one on this forum with your very own pto driven firewood gondola...

And 100 yards of mulch!?! That’s a lot of mulch. My biggest client takes 30-36 yards every spring. Hopefully you are getting a bulk discount. Up here a homeowner is paying $30+ per yard for a good double shredded hardwood.

f9e7f04a5a68829314180533454ec785.jpg

He is staying warm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be good idea to just have a rail siding put in. Commercial rail rates are better.

Sounds like a better topic for a DIY thread.

3C104EA1-D7FB-415A-9C0D-39D4E5420EB4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: