Your Hearth, From Where You Sit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It is a voyageur grand and we're loving it .still haveing a little learning curve about it. We have about a 2200 square foot Ranch. we had the living room up to 70 degrees over the weekend and the rest of the house about 68 . Very easy to light and maintain. Having a hard time to get long burn times. Should be getting 8 to 12 hours tapping out around 5 or 6 hours.
Didn't want to derail this supposedly-textless thread, so I created a new one to respond:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/markie123s-burn-time.167541/

Just found this thread , here's my view .

Attachments

• IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 359
Go Pack Go! What's with the rocks in front of the stove?

Those came from the Crazy Horse Monument out in south dakota one year when we took the bike out to the sturgis rally. It was blasted out of the mountain like mount rushmore. Good place for them to sit out of the way collecting dust.

I'm not sitting but I got this pic last night a while after loading. Cool muted look to it. Shoulda got the legs in the pic..stove legs. ;lol
20180216_194720.jpg

Last edited:
I am letting one stove go cold. Down to 1/2 cord at the house, and the yard is far too soggy to go fetch more from the wood lot. Standing water on the grass, at this point. I may be done for the year, after next week, if the ground doesn't freeze up again.

Yeah, walking on the ground around here has been like walking on a sponge. We finally saw some sun today though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am letting one stove go cold. Down to 1/2 cord at the house, and the yard is far too soggy to go fetch more from the wood lot. Standing water on the grass, at this point. I may be done for the year, after next week, if the ground doesn't freeze up again.
Is this the shortest wood heating season you have experienced?

It’s going to be close, but I’ve had a few short years:

Late Jan. 2012, a squirrel got into my then-solo Jotul 12, and cost me a month of burning while I waited for Jotul to ship me a replacement refractory chamber. By the time I got the parts, I think there was only a few weeks of heating season left.

March 2013, I ran out of wood, completely. I had been burning as much as a cord a week, that winter, trying to heat this joint 100% with two Jotul 12’s.

Now, I have about 20 cords CSS’d... I just can’t get to it, across the swamp that is currently my back yard. This doubly-sucks, because the bulbs and grass are now waking up from their winter slumber, but it’s too soggy out there to put down the pre-emergent weed block or edge and mulch!

In the midst of a nasty n'orestah. Just saw some smoke blow out of the front of the old 602! Never saw that before.
1e2b5e1a10fa8fff18bf3a611d872ba6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gusting 60 mph, here. Without power. One BK is going strong, the other will be fired up after the wind dies, as it’s in a part of the house that could be pancaked by a falling tree.

Tons of trees down, around here. It’s going to be awhile, cleaning up after this one.

It's a nasty storm. Stay safe and inside.

Crazy weather going on. It was 60 degrees the first part of the week. Then we got 7 inches of heavy wet snow. Now it’s 40 and sunny. I wish the weather would make up its mind. Oh and it rained for like 3 days last week raising the creek that crosses my property by 3-4’

Power out since last night, we're plugged into the he Prius, getting, 1300 watts, plus a two 36 amp hr agm battery pack, running fridge, internet, other small appliances as needed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Power out since last night, we're plugged into the he Prius, getting, 1300 watts, plus a two 36 amp hr agm battery pack, running fridge, internet, other small appliances as needed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Shouldn’t a Prius be able to deliver more than 1300 watts? That wouldn’t even run the average hair dryer or toaster oven!

Our power just came on, sort of. We have 99 volts on one leg, 103 volts on the other. This has happened before, our run to the road is very long. At least I can shut down the generator, while they get the transformer taps sorted out.

We were running on one 6800 watt continuous / 8500 watt surge generator, and it really struggled each time the well pump would turn on. We have oil heat and DHW, and that generator was about the minimum I could see us getting by with. We’d need more if we were in the typical heat pump / electric water heater crowd.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t a Prius be able to deliver more than 1300 watts? That wouldn’t even run the average hair dryer or toaster oven!
He's not running it off the large DC battery bank, but off the smaller 12v circuit in the car. You can run off the larger bank, but it is much more involved and needs some prewiring and a 240v UPS conversion. 1300w will easily run our modern energystar large 27 cu ft refrig/freezer, an LCD TV and some LED lights. That's all one needs for temporary power if you have wood heat backup and a propane stove or cooktop. We can power 2 refrigs, a freezer, and essential lights on a 2K generator. Fortunately our water is gravity fed.

Last edited: