your opinion of my register plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnionJack

May 23, 2015
UK
Hi guys
I've signed up to this forum to get some views on an installation I just had done (I'm in the UK). I just had a wood burning stove fitted, and I'm pretty pleased with it, the only thing that seems strange to me is how visible and obvious the register plate is. Normally when I've seen stoves the plate isn't really visible unless you crouch down. Ours is obvious when you are level with the mantlepiece or even when you're standing up because the edges have been bent downwards in order to put fixings through them. We're planning to paint the render white in which case the black edges of the plate will be even more obvious. Would love some thoughts on whether this is usual or not. Is it that the plate is normally installed slightly higher up the chimney and so is more hidden?

Also, whereas on the left and at the back, the bent edges are flush with the wall, on the right hand side there is about a 5mm gap which seems strange to me. This is hard to explain but hopefully the pictures should make it clear.

And finally, in the corners, the gaps between the folded edges of the plate look a little rough to me - and will be even more so once the render is painted white.

Am I being too fussy? I've just never noticed any of these things before on other stoves. Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks.

Attachments

• stove - 1 (1).jpg
    stove - 1 (1).jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 278
  • stove - 1.jpg
    stove - 1.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 193
  • stove - 2.jpg
    stove - 2.jpg
    411.9 KB · Views: 297
  • stove - 3.jpg
    stove - 3.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 237
  • stove - 4.jpg
    stove - 4.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 236
  • stove - 5.jpg
    stove - 5.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 273
I'm no expert, but maybe you are a little fussy. I think the install looks pretty darn good. Could you paint the vertical edge white, so that it would blend in, if it bothered you that much?

I agree it doesn't look to bad at all but yeah usually they are fit up inside a bit so they cant be seen. Paint it with a white or cream colored high temp paint and you wont see anything. Either that or caulk the gaps with black silicone so you cant see them and it will look allot better i would have done that as part of the install personally

Reactions: Chinneysweep187
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like the consensus is that I'm being too fussy - good to know! I think I'll either paint the gaps black or paint the vertical edges white to help it blend in. bholler - interested that you mentioned high temp paint. I asked my installer about that for the render around and behind the stove and he said it was fine to use normal emulsion. Would you disagree or is it different because you're talking about the metal plate?

I asked my installer about that for the render around and behind the stove and he said it was fine to use normal emulsion. Would you disagree or is it different because you're talking about the metal plate?
If you are just doing the edges i am sure regular paint will be fine but if you are getting anywhere near the pipe it needs to be high temp

Status
Not open for further replies.