Your Thoughts on this Wood Stove Setup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Probably not very efficient. I didn't watch much of the video, and I had it muted with captions turned on. Who thought it wise to put it next to the door?

Reactions: St. Coemgen
Heat shielding inside is a joke. The stove with the water jacket and illegal chimney is going to be a creosote producer.

Oh. My. God.

Looks good to me!

Image318160533276867209.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I don't have any experience with metal chimneys I will leave comments to the folks who do. I will comment that hot water coils on wood stoves can be very hazardous and frequently short lived unless there is a foolproof method of ensure that there is always flow through the pipe and there is no chance of making steam. A leak in a tube inside the fire box just puts the fire out but filling a hot water system with steam can cause a lot of damage and hurt someone. An appropriate Temperature and Pressure rated relief valve is a start as long as its plumbed properly. In most cases there needs to be a way of dumping heat built into the system as in cold weather the demand from the stove may exceed the need for hot water. I have friend that has used an external coil arrangement for close to 20 years and he has all these backup systems so it can be done safely but many of the installs are not well thought out.

It's a non-compliant, unlisted, pre-EPA design.

Must have been inspired by this installation.

View attachment 243443
Two places that I saw with this kind of half arsed setup burned. Both homeowner built, took years to get up, sided, roofed, stove installed before the snow flys, and promply smoked/burned out. Afterward it took a general contractor a short time to tear it down, rebuild, minus the stove and hassle. Spouse probably said knock it off get it done.

I was just browsing some real estate listings and spied this. They obviously burn it as there was a pic of a large wood cache in the basement. Gotta wonder how they get away with it like it is. It is a heck of a nice place. Great workmanship. There are several clearance violations going on here.

Hearth1.jpg hearth2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There is scorching on the mantel behind the stove pipe.

Yes there is. My thoughts are the clearance from the stove to the studs looks pretty close as well for an old stove. And the oak railing looks close too. And the hearth. Who knows if it is proper when you see all the other stuff.

Yes, 36" clearance required in all directions and 18" clear for single-wall stove pipe. Hearth is too shallow also.

I assume @bholler just fell into a coma.
The sad part is we see far worse. And people get pissed when we tell them we can't clean it unless some issues are corrected. I will clean it with some issues but sometimes it is just to bad to be worth me taking on that liability

It's a non-compliant, unlisted, pre-EPA design.

Ah.

Interesting. Good point.

So, in a way, a potential disaster waiting to happen may be called "classic"..... :)

LOL!!!!

Scorched wood = lowered flash point. New wood can take some heat, scorched wood will flash to flames at a lot lower temp.

Scorched wood = lowered flash point. New wood can take some heat, scorched wood will flash to flames at a lot lower temp.

Many people know that wood ignites at 450°F.

Many people don't know that steam pipes running at 200°F used to be a common cause of structure fires. (This may take years to happen at those temperatures.) Sufficiently pyrolized wood can apparently catch as a result of being exposed to temperatures as low as 170°.

The second link is recommended reading for anyone who has a wood stove. The first one is is interesting and occasionally funny ("oh yeah, that giant bin of coal catches fire a little every day, but we didn't think it would ever catch fire a lot!"). Check it out if you want to know what it was like to run an old timey fire department!

Last edited: