Yowza!! -9 for our high today!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Rich L i ended up getting the 880 for helping a guy log one year that was my pay. I had an old 066 at the time that he kept running for me. About a week before Christmas a few years back he had me come over and there it was brand new in the box. Then a coupled months after that he had a just about brand new 660, he sold my 066 for $300 and I gave him another $500. it seems like I only end up cutting real big wood 3 to 4 foot diameter stuff. I just sold the 880 a few months ago to a buddy to start a saw mill and used that money for my new box scraper for my tractor. I almost never ran the 880 just not needed, the 660 can do the same job. Plus I have a couple 660's. My buddy that purchased the 880 also bought a 660, I tried talking him out of it but he insisted. Long story short his brother now has the saw and mill, he said having both saws is not needed.
Heavy Hammer thanks.I always loved a good chain saw story.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Well, the one good thing about all of this is that it is likely to kill a few of the bugs that we don't like - emerald ash boreres and maybe the japenese beetles too. We really need it to get to -20F here for a few days to do a better job at that. Topped out here at -6 today and will be the same high tomorrow, stove is doing fine except that it is coaling up a lot, so I have to stir it up and run the air to get those burnt down some. Other than that,all good. I think I'm going to have to get some more humidity in the air here as it is dropping and I don't want it to get down below 30.
cahaak I was just thinking about that same thing.This cold may have a silver lining if it gets rid of some or most of these pest and viruses.

Reactions: heavy hammer
We are still in the chill as of now! Wind chill of up tp -24 for the next 2 days or so. Possible warm up of +10 Wednesday and Friday they say, wind chill not taken into account. Of all weekends to move my mother-in-law! Geesh

2a714b45b79d44ba59687cd0401a7eb8.jpg
80c5f188d22b5bd16fb2a950161a63bf.jpg

Can’t seem to shake this cold weather!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as cold as some at the moment . But we are going into highs for the day in the negatives . My weather station is at the other end of the house so that means stove room is above 80 . Still fighting low humidity . Temp is probably lower than it shows since my outdoor probe is in my enclosed porch .

Going to be a cold weekend on the lake .

Attachments

• IMG_20180105_203455578.jpg
    IMG_20180105_203455578.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 80
Just curious... why fight the low humidity.. just for comfort or something else?

Higher humidity makes it feel warmer . That is why 80f with 70% humidity feels hotter than 110f with 10% humidity . Also helps with breathing and nasal . Less nosebleeds for the fam . Look up evaporative cooling . Higher humidity means less moisture will evaporate , which means less heat is taken from th source , like your body .
Also , houses with exposed wood will have shrinkage with less humidity . Trim etc will shrink because it needs to equalize to the air . Same way we season wood to burn . But to low of humidity in the house is bad for the exposed wood .
There is a reason people pt pots/kettles of water on their wood stove .

Thanks

Fwiiw.. I think mold will not grow below 20% RH...

Thanks

Fwiiw.. I think mold will not grow below 20% RH...

Mold would be a problem if wood got wet , like through leaks etc . My house is pretty tight with zero leaks so humidity can stand to be higher than it is .