Yukon calling it quits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

johnnebz

Jul 19, 2021
PA
DCE1FBFE-CD0C-49B9-966E-3ACB925628DF.png
Looks like Yukon is waving the white flag. I have one that is 5 years old and has served us well. I’m working on figuring out which parts I should order while I still can. Their customer service was good, and I will be sad to see my warranty become useless.

I can't find this post but did contact Yukon and though not final it looks like they are headed this direction.

Last edited:
Yeah, as a former Yukon owner I can say they were good units in their time...and I think had they started trying to up their game 20 years ago, instead of in 2015, things would have turned out differently. Much easier to take personal responsibility and quit smoking now, than to find yourself 20 years later laying in the hospital hooked up to oxygen while still blaming the cig manufacturers...(evil EPA)

It looks like their website has been hacked or sold as well.
Yeah I was kinda wondering about that...I couldn't find the actual post that the OP has copied here...website and FB page looked the same as it has of late...

I like the epa killed it in 10 seconds comment. Even though they were told years in advance about what the requirements were. They had every opportunity to work on their designs

Reactions: sloeffle
Probably deleted because of the EPA quip.

Yeah, as a former Yukon owner I can say they were good units in their time...and I think had they started trying to up their game 20 years ago, instead of in 2015, things would have turned out differently. Much easier to take personal responsibility and quit smoking now, than to find yourself 20 years later laying in the hospital hooked up to oxygen while still blaming the cig manufacturers...(evil EPA)
It takes a lot of time and money to ramp up R&D, you can't build the knowledge and data you need in a few years. Ya gotta be proactive.

View attachment 280370
Looks like Yukon is waving the white flag. I have one that is 5 years old and has served us well. I’m working on figuring out which parts I should order while I still can. Their customer service was good, and I will be sad to see my warranty become useless.

We have one too. About ten years old. I feel like it has been a good unit with moderate fuel consumtion.
I guess i better decide which spares to buy. Control board, draft solenoid.
Maybe some fire brick.
Sad to see this happen.

I have an Eagle II furnace, installed in 2009. I was hoping to order a few parts from them before the start of the heating season this year -- some (i.e., burner parts), I can source elsewhere -- but I also wanted to get a spare combustion chamber liner (will need it in the next 2 or 3 years).

Does anyone know if they did indeed sell their inventory to another distributor?

I'm not sure what their status is now but I called in September and ordered parts. I asked them what is most likely to go bad and they said control board damper solenoid and pot liner. I ordered all that.

It looks like they've already closed down for good -- I tried to visit their website last week and when that didn't work, I called and got nobody (not even a voicemail, which is something they definitely used to have). I also tried sending an email, which bounced.

I'm not too worried about the control board, because if that fails, I can either rebuild it or design something with the same function... but the pot liner wearing out may eventually mean the end of the furnace unless something like one of those form-in-place wet pack lining kits is usable.

If anybody gets in a bind I'm pretty sure I still have a used, but half decent shape pot liner for my old one...have a good LP/NG burner too. Hafta look again, but there also may be a used solenoid there...

They died because they didn't even try. Plenty of other small companies did just fine.
Yup, easier to just ride off into the sunset than to keep fighting the good fight...

They were a small operation and it was a costly time consuming process. forced-air-furnaces
Agreed. ^^^^ If you are referring to indoor forced air furnaces only, a small operation proved it could be done. If I'm not mistaken they are the only company in the country to do so.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
I meant to specify " small company" to do so.
I don't think you need to add that caveat. The only other US company still in the forced air wood furnace game is the Fire Chief/Shelter with the SF1000 E which did not pass all of the EPA tests.

Reactions: woodey
Many of the older furnaces had massive fire boxes that were simple and would burn green wood. With that said, to produce a furnace with a "small" firebox and have it heat a home, many would say it's not possible. A previous employee of Yukon always claimed the Caddy was a glorified space heater not capable of heating a home. That old school thinking does a company no good. When you have competition ( PSG, Kuuma, Napoleon) producing cleaner burning furnaces they had the option to transition to a better technology, however they choose not to.