Yukon Combo unit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GS7

Dec 14, 2012
Connecticut
Who has a Yukon combo unit and how long have you owned it? An oil/wood unit? Tell me EVERYTHING pleeeaase...How many square feet are you heating? How well does it do the job? How often do you have to clean it, are you happy or do you have any regrets? Any suggestions, I'm listening, thanks to all...
Mike

I've redirected this thread to the boiler room. Hoping you'll get more response here.

I got one, its an oil/wood. Forget the model#. Thing is 30 years old and have only changed the fan belt once, nothing else. Never used oil just wood. Easily overheats my 1800 sq ft house, not very well insulated. Don't plan on using it much anymore at all now that I got the new insert upstairs

Hi, I have a Yukon Husky wood/oil. I had a Yukon Big Jack before, it worked fine, but the Husky was a much more elegant solution for me so I switched 'er out. The Husky was the most bang for the buck (bought it used) and I like the way it works, it heats my 2000 sq. ft. easily. I used about 4.5 - 5 cords of wood last winter, keeping my average insulated, 1940 brick cap cod at 72* or so. We are in NE Ohio, just south of the official snow belt, so we get some cold winters and heavy heat load for sure.
I am a bit of a tinkerer and I felt that the Husky could possibly burn just a bit cleaner, not that it was bad, just room for improvement. So I have made a couple mods that have helped clean things up real nice. Seems to burn a bit less wood on those light heating load days in the spring and fall too.

For what it's worth, if I'm being completely honest, and I was gonna spend the money on a new wood furnace install, I'd look real hard at a Kuuma Vaporfire (sponsor here) or a PSG Caddy, (the caddy has wood/oil option) They are both EPA clean burn type furnaces. But I went with the Yukon because I only had 1 flue available. Looking back, an option that I hadn't considered was putting the wood furnace of my choice on the available flue and then, as my backup heat, installing an HE oil or proPAIN furnace that just vents out the wall without a chimney needed. I only used 3-5 gallons of oil last winter on the weekends that we were gone, so if that had been the proPAIN that I was burning, I guess it wouldn't have been too PAINful.

BTW, this is my first Hearth reply, I've been lurking around here for a year or two, I guess your question just spurred me to join/respond. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

Hi, I have a Yukon Husky wood/oil. I had a Yukon Big Jack before, it worked fine, but the Husky was a much more elegant solution for me so I switched 'er out. The Husky was the most bang for the buck (bought it used) and I like the way it works, it heats my 2000 sq. ft. easily. I used about 4.5 - 5 cords of wood last winter, keeping my average insulated, 1940 brick cap cod at 72* or so. I am a bit of a tinkerer and I felt that it could burn just a bit cleaner, not that it was bad, just room for improvement. So I have made a couple mods that have helped clean things up real nice. Seems to burn a bit less wood on those light heating load days in the spring and fall too.

For what it's worth, if I'm being completely honest, and I was gonna spend the money on a new wood furnace install, I'd look real hard at a Kuuma Vaporfire (sponsor here) or a PSG Caddy, (the caddy has wood/oil option) They are both EPA clean burn type furnaces. But I went with the Yukon because I only had 1 flue available, and looking back, an option that I hadn't considered was putting the wood furnace of my choice on the available flue and then installing an HE oil or proPAIN furnace that just vents out the wall without a chimney needed. I only used 3-5 gallons of oil last winter on the weekends that we were gone, so if that had been the proPAIN that I was burning, I guess it wouldn't have been too PAINful.

BTW, this is my first Hearth reply, I've been lurking around here for a year or two, I guess your question just spurred me to join/respond. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

thanks for the feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.