ZC Fireplace - Ironstrike, Striker c160i upgrade questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

brengus

Aug 25, 2017
Sunriver, OR
Greetings! So grateful for this forum and all of the info that I have read from generous posters! Currently, I'm looking to replace our ZC fireplace with the Ironstrike Striker C160i.

Some of the postings regarding inserts claim that you must first find agreement between the manufacturers that this is possible and UL approved. My issue is that I don't know what the manufacturer or model is for the ZC fireplace. I found a label on the chimney (there is a closet door access to the back of the ZC fireplace) but nothing on the body of the fireplace itself.

The fireplace opening is apparently relatively small. We had an estimate awhile back that came in around $4k for what would amount to a very small firebox. After researching freestanding stoves and pricing class A chimneys and estimating what it would take to rebuild the space as an alcove, I'm now back to being open to the idea of an insert. When we read about the Striker c160i, we felt that we had found a good match to our needs.

I'm trying to get an installer to come and look at it for a final approval of the space, but in the meantime I am still scurrying around the web gathering as much info on the issue as I can.

Any feedback on any aspect of my issue is greatly appreciated!

~Brendan
IMG_3070.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There is absolutly no way for us to know one way or another without knowing what fireplace it is. But i can tell you the vast majority dont allow inserts.

Update:

I was able to fit the Ironstrike Striker C160 into the existing ZC fireplace. Certified installer did installation. This "small" wood stove insert is more than enough heat for our modest 1300 sq. ft. home. The main room is only about 650 sq. ft. and what's nice is that I can keep a smallish fire going which keeps the stove in a good temperature range and it doesn't get too hot in the living room. But it does get pretty warm! I'll know more about how well it heats as we get closer to winter but I'm optimistic.

We went back and forth about trying for a larger stove and I'm glad we didn't end up with one. This stove fits our existing hearth perfectly, and with the addition of a MEECO'S RED DEVIL 5050 Mantel Protector we should be in good shape for our final inspection.

Very excited to actually heat our home instead of feeding a useless fireplace!

Alrighty...

So I've had some time to use the Striker C160 insert and here are my impressions:

I'm really happy with the look and fit of the stove overall.

Our home is single story, approx.1200 sf and for the most part well insulated. The main room has a vaulted ceiling and is about 400 sf. We have a ceiling fan which helps with air mixing.

I purchased an "Inferno" stove thermometer made by Condar, which helps to dial in the operating temps.

Most cold days it heats the main room very efficiently. Lately however, it feels as though the outside temps have been knocking down our inside temps a bit. Its been in the teens at night and 20s most of the morning. Inside temps are hovering in the high 60s to low 70s. This worries me a bit because we're still in the beginning of winter and can expect consistent negative temps.

I'm considering purchasing the blower accessory that matches the stove. Its expensive, so I'm hoping to hear some feedback if anyone has had any experience with this accessory. Any advice on optimizing my setup would be appreciated as I'm always learning something new from this forum.

Cheers!
IMG_3290.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the installer obstruct the cooling vents on your zc unit? Did you ever find out whst fireplace it was and if an insert was permitted?

Did the installer obstruct the cooling vents on your zc unit? Did you ever find out whst fireplace it was and if an insert was permitted?

Yes it was a compatible model of ZC fireplace as stated in the installation paperwork. Unit was inspected and certified by the county as well. Not sure if "cooling vents" were obstructed, or how to confirm this post install. Installer is coming back to redo a chimney cap job that was botched up. I inspected it when I was putting up some Christmas lights over the weekend. I can ask him about that...

I did cover the ZC vents below the fireplace opening with a piece of sheet metal because they looked like crap and I wanted it to look finished. They were part of the ZC fan/blower system but didn't seem to move any air (I did a kleenex test on the vents with the fan running before and after the install and air flow was miniscule.
IMG_3652.JPGIMG_3654.JPG
IMG_3668.JPGIMG_3281.JPG

You can see the lower vents in the before pic. The top vents were covered with the surround piece that came from the manufacturer but there was no surround piece for the lower part. Just as an additional note I sent the mantel shield that I bought online back to the seller (it was flimsy and banged up) and had a piece of sheet metal customized which works terrific. The inspector was satisfied with all of it.

Cheers

Yes it was a compatible model of ZC fireplace as stated in the installation paperwork. Unit was inspected and certified by the county as well. Not sure if "cooling vents" were obstructed, or how to confirm this post install. Installer is coming back to redo a chimney cap job that was botched up. I inspected it when I was putting up some Christmas lights over the weekend. I can ask him about that...

I did cover the ZC vents below the fireplace opening with a piece of sheet metal because they looked like crap and I wanted it to look finished. They were part of the ZC fan/blower system but didn't seem to move any air (I did a kleenex test on the vents with the fan running before and after the install and air flow was miniscule.
View attachment 217166View attachment 217168
View attachment 217169View attachment 217170

You can see the lower vents in the before pic. The top vents were covered with the surround piece that came from the manufacturer but there was no surround piece for the lower part. Just as an additional note I sent the mantel shield that I bought online back to the seller (it was flimsy and banged up) and had a piece of sheet metal customized which works terrific. The inspector was satisfied with all of it.

Cheers
Ok well it doesnt matter if it passed inspection or not your install is unsafe. You cannot block airflow through the cooling chanels of the fireplace or block airflow through the outer passages of the air cooled chimney. You really really need to address these issues. It is very dangerous as is.

And does the fireplace manudacturer allow inserts to be installed in your fireplace? You need approval from both manufacturers.

Reactions: Squisher
I also see that the inner refractory panels were pulled out that is another big no no

View attachment 217173
I appreciate your feedback!
And lets see the instructions for the fireplace. I am sure it doesnt say you can remove any of those things and maintain the ul listing which is required by the insert manufacturer. But regardless of the legality of it just think about it. That zc box is just 2 or 3 layers of sheet metal with an airspace that is cooled by the airflow around it. And the heat is also controlled by that refractory panel. You have just eliminated the only things keeping heat off of the adjacent framing. Which was also done to the air cooled chimney. It is extremely dangerous.

Reactions: Squisher
I would agree. Slippery code interpretation aside by installer/inspecter. I'd heed bhollers advice.

Very dangerous set up, with blocked vent holes and refractory plates removed, the zero clearance stove essentially became a hot metal box that's against combustible walls, even though the zero clearance stove walls may not be hot enough at first to start a fire, overtime through pyrolysis you will be at a dangerous / greater risk.
Also the existing chimney, even though it has a liner with in it, is it a true class a pipe? Some of the builders grade zero clearance units used chimney pipe that doesn't meet the code for wood stoves / 24/7 burning, also I'm pretty sure any clearances / protection that the old chimney pipe provided before the liner was installed in it are gone since the top plate that clamps around the new liner is also covering the air gaps of the old chimney pipe.

Very dangerous set up, with blocked vent holes and refractory plates removed, the zero clearance stove essentially became a hot metal box that's against combustible walls, even though the zero clearance stove walls may not be hot enough at first to start a fire, overtime through pyrolysis you will be at a dangerous / greater risk.
Also the existing chimney, even though it has a liner with in it, is it a true class a pipe? Some of the builders grade zero clearance units used chimney pipe that doesn't meet the code for wood stoves / 24/7 burning, also I'm pretty sure any clearances / protection that the old chimney pipe provided before the liner was installed in it are gone since the top plate that clamps around the new liner is also covering the air gaps of the old chimney pipe.
No it is an air cooled chimney that looks like it has insulation stuffed in the top of the cooling passage and is then covered with a plate. Another very dangerous modification