ZC tips/hints/questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srussell1021

Aug 3, 2015
Baltimore
Hey everyone. I bought my first home about a year ago that has a prefab ZC fireplace, model is Superior SP38A, and although its an older model (I think it may of been installed when the house was built which was 1987) I was surprisingly happy and excited to see how well it actually performed. I grew up in an old farmhouse which we rarely used the old baseboard heaters, instead we used all wood heat from a Vermont Castings wood stove to heat the house so I'm familiar with wood burning and how much better it is and I prefer it by far. I used my ZC fireplace on really cold days (high temp 25 or below and lows in the teens and single digits, I live in a suburb of Baltimore MD.) The ZC fireplace has cast iron doors which are meant to be closed with the blower running for I guess you could say max efficiency, it takes about 5 hours to burn 5 good, well seasoned pieces of wood, starting off with 2-3 and then adding another 90 min later, and another 90 min or so after that and it keeps the room toasty and upstairs is comfortable and I let it burn out before bed. What I want to know is if there are any tips from you all (who I consider experts) on how to get the most out of this ZC fireplace. Any tips, hints, and suggestions are appreciated from all your experiences on anything I might want to do differently or add to maximize the use out of it. I put the link to the fireplace manual below if anyone wants to review to get a better idea. Thanks.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/sp38a-1-pdf.155509/

get good dry seasoned wood, best advice i can offer you, most complaints on here about stoves not heating well come from trying to burn wood that isn't dry, get yourself a moisture meter (about 20$ at home depot) split a piece and take a reading from the middle of it, if it is more than 20% its not seasoned.

Older ZC fireplaces may not be built for 24/7 burning. The manual notes that the SP38A is for supplemental heating only. If the goal is 24/7 heating with wood then consider putting a rear-vent freestanding stove in front of the fireplace connected to a liner run up the ZC chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.