Zero Clearance Advice - New To Forum - Thanks in Advance!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cap'nWFCall

Aug 3, 2013
PA
I'm brand new to the forum, have read hundreds of posts though. Been burning wood in wood stoves and/or inserts since I was a kid. Currently, I'm at the point in the new home construction process that I need to decide on the zero clearance wood burning fireplace to purchase. We are not building a masonry chimney with the new house, for that reason, because I am determined to continue to burn wood, I think I am limited to a ZC wood burning fireplace or freestanding wood stove. With little kids, I'm staying away from the free standing wood stove. That leads me to my question regarding Zero Clearance models...I've narrowed it down to the Napoleon NZ-3000 or the Vermont Castings Stratton. Read quite a few positive reviews on the Napoleon, but could not find ANY on the VC Stratton. I'll be very appreciative of any advice, recommendations, reviews or comments regarding either model (or other recommendations). Need to pull the trigger this week...thanks in advance!

Welcome. If you are interested in the Napoleon NZ-3000 Scotty O is the one to talk to. Personally I would be leaning toward a freestanding stove, especially if power outages are common. I don't agree with the concern about children. Our kids learned to respect the hearth at an early age. Kids stay young for a very short period and setting up a nice hearth/flue system will last a long time.

Thank you for your quick reply! I appreciate the advice and have thought more than a few times about the freestanding wood stove. How should I contact Scottie O about the NZ3000?

I have a ZC fireplace and am currently installing a Blaze King King. I have also had an insert (Lopi). All can (and in my case have) burned children. But only once. A fireplace will not prevent burns as the front is hot too!.

In each case, all of my children stuck a finger on a stove and got a little oweeee. It only happened once! They learn and love the stoves!

I'd go freestanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.