Zero Clearance Drafts & Other Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irish_Tim_Annapolis

Sep 2, 2016
Annapols
Hello Hearth.com,
I have a couple of questions on my ZC fireplace. Any advice would be appreciated. Ive also included a video showing the issues that i am having.

1) I have a draft between the sheetmetal walls and the sheetrock. - Can I mud the sheetrock up to the sheetmetal and caulk around the joint?? Is there a special type of caulk used around a fireplace?
2) In the video, Im inspecting the firebricks in the fireplace - they seem to be in good nick however its possible for me to slide my finger in between them. Is this normal??

Thanks,
Tim

Morning, Tim.
You can spackle with a plaster product like Durabond 90 or use plain old joint compound on the gaps the drywall to smooth it out,
& I'd use painter's caulk in the gaps between the drywall & the sheet metal of the ZC box. The isn't a lot of heat there so Hi-temp
RTV isn't needed. Looks like there has been some trim removed around the box, & that's where that damage may have come from.
A simple wood picture frame would cover that nicely.
As far as the gaps in your refractory, I would pull the sides & rear panel out & brush or vacuum the ashes out of the gaps.
When you replace them, normally the rear refractory panel fits in first & then the sides are pushed back against the rear as tightly as possible.
I hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.