Zero Clearance into a brick chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arrowoods

Mar 30, 2017
NC
I have a 100 year old house that we are renovating. I want to line an existing brick chimney and thimble into the side of it with a zero clearance fireplace. My chimney guy said you cant do this. If I get a zero clearance that has a separate fresh air intake why can I not use the existing chimney?

The chimney is a brick unlined one that has a rectangle inside of about 9"X14" Can I not line it and then connect the zero clearance pipe into the side of it? Anyone every had this issue?

Your chimney guy is right a zero clearance unit needs to be used iwth the specified chimney system in the configuration specified.

Reactions: DAKSY
Not possible. The ZC is not a stove. It needs to have the specified chimney. The parts don't exist. There is no 90º chimney pipe elbow to go from the ZC to a masonry chimney.

Here is the space I am dealing with. We don't want to use the fireplace thats there because it is too small and too low. I want to put in a zero clearance in the space to the left and then just tie into the chimney. Does anyone have any ideas? fireplace.jpg

Your only real option for this space would be to cover over the old fireplace opening, and install woodstove in front of the fireplace. This would require a full SS liner and a new thimble about 6' feet from the floor.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Your options are to do what webby said and install a stove with a liner run through that chimney. Have the existing fireplace brought up to code and use it that way (which may or may not be possible). Install an insert and liner which again may not be possible in that fireplace. Or tear it all out and start from scratch with a zero clearance unit. There is no way at all that you can use that chimney with a zc unit it cannot be done.

Reactions: webby3650
While you are renovating you have a great opportunity to rebuild that fireplace as a masonry alcove for a wood stove, even if you have to reposition some of your new framing to accommodate a protective back wall. Extend your hearth and you can still maintain the look of a fireplace behind the stove, you almost have a clean slate. That chimney looks like it was built well and seems to be a good candidate to be used with a stainless liner or what has been suggested already build protective back wall in front of the firebox and install a thimble above your existing fireplace. Of course you could also line the chimney and restore the existing fireplace if you are mostly only interested in the ambiance of an open fire, that will also be easier to do with the chimney exposed as it is. That is not an unusual size fireplace for an old home though if your renovation produces a large room it may look odd being so small, I bet it draws well if the smoke chamber was built properly.

Id keep that room / rooms as an open floor plan and build a masonry heater.

That chimney looks like it was built well and seems to be a good candidate to be used with a stainless liner or what has been suggested already build protective back wall in front of the firebox and install a thimble above your existing fireplace. Of course you could also line the chimney and restore the existing fireplace if you are mostly only interested in the ambiance of an open fire, that will also be easier to do with the chimney exposed as it is. That is not an unusual size fireplace for an old home though if your renovation produces a large room it may look odd being so small, I bet it draws well if the smoke chamber was built properly.
Actually that looks more like a coal fireplace than one built for wood and if that is true the flue may be pretty small many were. If that is the case it may be very hard to fit in a liner for a stove much less one for the open fireplace. We really need some more info to know what the options are as far as lining it

Id keep that room / rooms as an open floor plan and build a masonry heater.
That is a massive undertaking involving a foundations new chimney ect.

Actually that looks more like a coal fireplace than one built for wood and if that is true the flue may be pretty small many were. If that is the case it may be very hard to fit in a liner for a stove much less one for the open fireplace. We really need some more info to know what the options are as far as lining it

Not to mention a second mortgage! You'd think for as much as they cost they would heat more square footage too.

Last edited:
The fireplace is tall and narrow. It looks like there may be an opportunity to put in a rear-vent stove there connected to a 6" liner. That type of installation could finish off very attractively if this is the case.

@Arrowoods What are the dimensions of the fireplace opening (and depth)? What are the dimensions of the chimney interior?

Yes sir, I did so a video showing a fireplace retro kit

Danke, I missed that. That could make a rear-vent stove possible as the most affordable option.

Last edited:
The poster stated that the flue is 9 X 14. What is there seems to be a great start for a stove set up.
Ahhh I missed that one A stove liner would work then not sure about one for an open fireplace

@Arrowoods while looking at the docs for a ZC in another thread I came upon something that might be worth checking out. The Astria Montecito Estate (Superior WCT6940) and the smaller Montecito show an installation option for installing this ZC connecting to a masonry chimney. The instructions detail the parts required to connect the fireplace to a stainless liner in the chimney. Installations in the USA must use the 30º connector (BISUMA30*).
Never say never!

Screen Shot 2017-04-10 at 11.02.10 AM.png

I still think that a nice freestanding classic style stove sitting on the hearth would be my first choice. The buildout for the above ZC fireplace installed this way would take up a lot of room space.

Last edited:
@Arrowoods while looking at the docs for a ZC in another thread I came upon something that might be worth checking out. The Astria Montecito Estate (Superior WCT6940) and the smaller Montecito show an installation option for installing this ZC connecting to a masonry chimney. The instructions detail the parts required to connect the fireplace to a stainless liner in the chimney. Installations in the USA must use the 30º connector (BISUMA30*).
Never say never!

View attachment 196917

I still think that a nice freestanding classic style stove sitting on the hearth would be my first choice. The buildout for the above ZC fireplace installed this way would take up a lot of room space.
Nice find I didn't know such a thing existed good to know it's out there