Zero clearance pellet stove in new construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the wonderful opinions and discussion. It seems that quite a few have had their stoves, which have not been NG and are recommending that I purchase/install the NG option. Very interesting, considering I came on here to hear feedback from those who have lived it.....what to do...
Most of those here with pellet stoves don't have access to NG or we would throw these beasts out the back door. If you like the look of a wood fire, get a 50" flat screen and run a looped video of a fire on it. :)

I have a very nice Propain heater and if the price of gas was cheaper I would be using it exclusively. As it is its used as backup and for ambiance.

Attachments

• DSCN0038.JPG
    DSCN0038.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 164
Like a plug in hybrid. People conveniently forget that the electricity still comes from (majority of it) from the burning of coal at a power station thats out of sight (and mind), so it's 'green' and that is not oly short sighted, it's bs too.

I find it kind of ironic that we are worrying about producing CO2 so we burn trees that NEED CO2 to grow!
By the way, NG produces 117 pounds of CO2 while the subbituminous coal used in power plants produces 214 pound per million btu's. So NG is not the great elixir we all think.

I find it kind of ironic that we are worrying about producing CO2 so we burn trees that NEED CO2 to grow!
By the way, NG produces 117 pounds of CO2 while the subbituminous coal used in power plants produces 214 pound per million btu's. So NG is not the great elixir we all think.

No, but it's cheap and when something is cheap, it makes it more green........ Jusr ask anybody.....

Reactions: tjnamtiw
To the OP, get the NG fireplace and avoid all the hassles that show up here every day.

This is the most common response.

Ha ha ha...I'm headed out to look around tomorrow.... Should I be concerned with the square footage(600feet) of the room I'm looking to heat?

Any particular recommendations on a Gas stove?

If you like the look of a wood fire, get a 50" flat screen and run a looped video of a fire on it

Thats the way to go with a 90% or better condensing NG furnace in the basement and or Geothermal.

II agree with sidecar. a pellet stove is great for a secondary heat if u have as your primary heat being propane,electric or oil. for myself, I purchased a used pellet stove for my camp (cottage) and took out the wood stove. no mess no waking up to cold etc. the one thing is u have to learn about the stove and know how to fix it. also insulation is a big factor. my camp is partially insulated and my stove has a hard time heating it. its only 18 feet x 46 feet, open concept. when im done insulating the ceiling and floor there will be a huge difference.

I would at least have a chimney installed that you could use with a wood or pellet stove. You said you liked the wood stove you had in a previous house and a NG stove to me, just looks false, you might not like it in the long run. Having a NG furnace in your instance is the smart choice and would handle the bulk of your heating needs. However, having a pellet stove as just a backup and getting the nice flames is a great feature. Just timing it to come on at set times or when you just want to sit infront of it, will minimize the times you have to add pellets or clean it. I just use my pellet insert maybe 3 hours a day, I add a bucket of pellets every other day and clean it, takes 20 mins, maybe every other month.
Have a gas line run into the fireplace so you can go to NG if you want at some point.

That's a pissah idea. Run a gas line in case I don't like the pellet stove. Why on earth I didn't think of that, I've no idea.

Sidecar... The geothermal approach will not work in my location due to ledge and not enough real estate. I am considering icynene insulation in addition to the NG forced hot air furnace.

Status
Not open for further replies.