Zero Clearance ?s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DMiller304

Aug 31, 2021
WV
New here and thanks for having me!! Have a couple questions on a zero clearance insert. I only have a 25" depth on a new construction home and was wondering what stoves would fit that measurement? I've been hunting around and can find some in that range but don't know for sure if they're ZC on not (don't want to burn the house down). I ran across this forum in my searching and hope you all could help. Thanks for all your help in advance!!

New here and thanks for having me!! Have a couple questions on a zero clearance insert. I only have a 25" depth on a new construction home and was wondering what stoves would fit that measurement? I've been hunting around and can find some in that range but don't know for sure if they're ZC on not (don't want to burn the house down). I ran across this forum in my searching and hope you all could help. Thanks for all your help in advance!!
Ok to clarify do you want a new zero clearance fireplace? Or do you want an insert to go in an existing zero clearance fireplace?

Reactions: DMiller304
This is what I’m working with, I’d like a wood burning fireplace that would fit without burning down my house.

B3068A65-CE78-4AA1-B3E2-A11EEFEE3946.jpeg

This is what I’m working with, I’d like a wood burning fireplace that would fit without burning down my house.

View attachment 281478
Ok so you need a zero clearance fireplace of some sort. Are you looking for heat or just aesthetics?

Regardless most of that framing will need pulled out and framed to spec for the fireplace you pick

I was thinking I’d probably have to do some reframing of some sort. I’d like to have one that has a blower and puts off some type of heat. It’s not going to be my main source of eat but if I have a fire I’d like to recoup some of the heat from it.

Reactions: kennyp2339
I was thinking I’d probably have to do some reframing of some sort. I’d like to have one that has a blower and puts off some type of heat. It’s not going to be my main source of eat but if I have a fire I’d like to recoup some of the heat from it.
In that case you will want a high efficiency EPA certified firrplace

Keep in mind that fireplace has a catalyst in it a few others to look at are Pacific Energy, Quadrafire, Valcourt and Osburn those are non catalyst tube type stoves.

Thanks. Yes those types sound to be a little more user friendly (especially for wife) than the catalyst type. Thanks again for reply!!

Do you know of any other manufacturers that produce a non catalytic zero clearance stove? Thanks for all your help in advance!!

Do you know of any other manufacturers that produce a non catalytic zero clearance stove? Thanks for all your help in advance!!
I wouldn't be scared of a fireplace with a cat. They aren't any harder to operate. The only downside is the added cost of periodic cat replacement

How often do they need replaced? Are there measures that can prolong the life of or things that can make it go out premature? Don’t know much about.

How often do they need replaced? Are there measures that can prolong the life of or things that can make it go out premature? Don’t know much about.
10000 to 15000 hours of burning

If considering a cat fireplace, look at the Astria Montecito Estate (aka Superior WCT6940WS). This is the only ZC fireplace that qualifies for the 26% tax credit, which is on the entire intallation. This is a large fireplace, how large of an area would it be heating?

That’s quit a few hours of burning. Since this is a secondary source of heat that should take while. I’ll check the estate out because I like the credit idea. As far as area to be heated would not be a lot maybe 2k sq ft or so.

Attached is a photo of my Osburn Strattford II just installed in new construction. R.O. 24 7/8"d x 37 3/4"w x 41 5/8"h. Note the steel studs above.20210903_184811.jpg

Here is a link to the place where I bought my zero clearance fireplace that lists and has info on a number of different units from different manufacturers. After reading some threads on this site, visiting the showroom, and examining my finances, I went with the Kozy Heat listed at that link. Would i prefer a Quadrafire or similar high end fireplace? Definitely. But at twice the cost? During the winter I have been running the unit pretty much 24/7 for the past 6 years in northern WI and have no complaints.

Nick w, I’ll definitely look into that I like that idea directly around fireplace.

Goose52, thanks so much for that link!!!

Nick w, I’ll definitely look into that I like that idea directly around fireplace.

Goose52, thanks so much for that link!!!
That's a good start. They offer a wide spectrum of choices.