Zero clearence fireplace needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

A.O.

Aug 14, 2018
South Carolina
Ok, first post here, been burning wood most of my adult life .We did a remodel on our house bout a year ago and stupidly neglected to incorporate a wood burning something!! After about $1800 worth of propane burned up last year we are going to add one now!
So here is where I am, looking to put something in the living room, If I go zero clearance I can stick it in the wall due to the large walk in closet behind it I can build the chase in. Smallish house about 2000 sq ft total, only need to heat about half of that, 3 bedrooms are unused except on occasion, the master can be cool cause that's the best for sleeping which leaves the living room and adjoining kitchen. We do not have lots of space which is why we are not just going to put in a wood burning freestanding stove which obviously be the easiest way to do this.

So I've started looking and most of these things are huge, found a couple smaller ones but maybe you guys know of others, QUALITY is my next concern, Superior has a smaller one but I know nothing about them.

Another thought would be to build an alcove in that same wall, tile the inside of it and put in a little woodburner, so you guys have ant thoughts?

I looked into a outdoor wood furnace but that's just getting stupid expensive, I'd like to stay in that $3-4k range for the stove and chimney if possible (not including the price of the chase)

Either will work. We have a 2000 sq ft house with a freestanding stove in the living room which is somewhat central to an open 1 floor. Works great and doesn't impose terribly. It is a corner install. FWIW, 2000 sq ft is not a small house.

Either will work. We have a 2000 sq ft house with a freestanding stove in the living room which is somewhat central to an open 1 floor. Works great and doesn't impose terribly. It is a corner install. FWIW, 2000 sq ft is not a small house.
Yeah, my last one was 3500 sq ft, glad to be out of it!!

Check out the Kozy Z-42. We do a lot of them and people have been very happy with it.
I installed one supreme ZC unit, it was very light compared to others. That being said, as far as I know they’ve never had any issues with it. It’s been 6 or 7 years now.

Check out the Kozy Z-42. We do a lot of them and people have been very happy with it.
I installed one supreme ZC unit, it was very light compared to others. That being said, as far as I know they’ve never had any issues with it. It’s been 6 or 7 years now.
Problem with them is they make it so hard to buy! I've looked at them on their site, they wont give any indication of price and the closest place around that actually has them is over 3 hours from me!

Problem with them is they make it so hard to buy! I've looked at them on their site, they wont give any indication of price and the closest place around that actually has them is over 3 hours from me!
Not listing prices online is pretty normal for most manufacturers. 3 hours is too far, I’d want to shop closer to home.

So after much looking and research I've decided to go with a free standing wood stove. We've moved some things around and feel we have the space to do it and its WAY less involved than building a chase for a zero clearance unit.

Pretty much narrowed it down to a Quadra-Fire Discovery I. I started a new post on that if you have any comments I'd love to hear them either here or there, Thanks. Here is a link to the stove.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Products/Discovery-I-Wood-Stove

Status
Not open for further replies.