$1000 off Drolet Capetown 1800

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I was waiting for this. It was priced much too high and I suspect sales have been poor. Too bad, other than the price it looks like a nice stove. I'm wondering if this is made by Franco Belge for Drolet.

The Capetown looks to be a competitor to fill the slot that Jotul abandoned for the F400 Castine. But the Castine was a mid $2k stove, not a $4k stove. With the tax credit, this is an attractive alternative for someone looking for a good-looking, medium-sized, E/W stove.

I was waiting for this. It was priced much too high and I suspect sales have been poor. Too bad, other than the price it looks like a nice stove. I'm wondering if this is made by Franco Belge for Drolet.

The Capetown looks to be a competitor to fill the slot that Jotul abandoned for the F400 Castine. But the Castine was a mid $2k stove, not a $4k stove. With the tax credit, this is an attractive alternative for someone looking for a good-looking, medium-sized, E/W stove.
I would like to know how the refractory holds up and what replacing it would cost.

And the enamel F400 was listed at $3200 in 2018. I think it was like $600 more than the regular version.

I believe they are the same as a Dovre 760, at least based on the info in the capetown manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: EbS-P and begreen
I believe they are the same as a Dovre 760, at least based on the info in the capetown manual.
Could be. Dovre is another good Belgian foundry. Internally though much of the Capetown is quite different though they do appear to have some common parts. The secondary burn system and stove back parts are unique to the Capetown and the Dovre 760 has a right-side door which is not on the Drolet.