12/12 pitch roof w/ a corner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jal367

Sep 12, 2022
Tuftonboro
Image (2).jpeg

I know this has been discussed in the past as I've been reading through them, but I haven't seen many updates. The best spot for my wood stove to go is in the corner (below sketch of pipe) but if we do this, the exterior pipe will be over 12 ft tall and an eye sore on our new construction. I am just not sure I can deal with the aesthetic pics of this. Unfortunately, I cannot put the stove towards the middle of the house, so that option is out. Any insight or feedback appreciated.

Build a chase for the pipe to run in, if you want to get fancy, cover it with cultured stone to achieve a stone chimney look.

Took a walk up my street after posting this and noticed a neighbors house had a chimney in a similar spot with the same roof. Will his entail having a chimney inside as well?

Took a walk up my street after posting this and noticed a neighbors house had a chimney in a similar spot with the same roof. Will his entail having a chimney inside as well?
Ask your neighbor what he did maybe.
But dont trust that is correct. Just to get ideas
Building a chase will require someone to open up the roof to attach it to the rafters and some side blocking. You will typically have a chimney chase that will span multiple roof rafters, so your construction co will likely attach 2x4's to each rafter 4feet across and a couple of feet wide, then sheet it, then you pick your covering (stone veneer, plastic siding, etc).
You will need a permit in most locations. And it would be best if you had a fireplace person look at the proposed drawings from your builder before they go through the trouble of constructing something that may or may not work with what you need.

People that know chimney systems probably could chime in here and say if the option exists to just try the pipe out and see if you are ok with it then could reuse that pipe in a chase system if you dont like the look of it exposed. It may require a different pipe in a chase than if it were exposed, Im not sure. Or maybe there are cheaper options for chases than what would be exposed otherwise that would offset some of the cost of building a chase. I think that's what you need to figure out is the cost of doing all of this (chase vs just a pipe coming up and out 12' above the exit of the roof).

Ask your neighbor what he did maybe.
But dont trust that is correct. Just to get ideas
Building a chase will require someone to open up the roof to attach it to the rafters and some side blocking. You will typically have a chimney chase that will span multiple roof rafters, so your construction co will likely attach 2x4's to each rafter 4feet across and a couple of feet wide, then sheet it, then you pick your covering (stone veneer, plastic siding, etc).
You will need a permit in most locations. And it would be best if you had a fireplace person look at the proposed drawings from your builder before they go through the trouble of constructing something that may or may not work with what you need.

People that know chimney systems probably could chime in here and say if the option exists to just try the pipe out and see if you are ok with it then could reuse that pipe in a chase system if you dont like the look of it exposed. It may require a different pipe in a chase than if it were exposed, Im not sure. Or maybe there are cheaper options for chases than what would be exposed otherwise that would offset some of the cost of building a chase. I think that's what you need to figure out is the cost of doing all of this (chase vs just a pipe coming up and out 12' above the exit of the roof).
The same chimney is used regardless

The same chimney is used regardless
Well then that's a viable option. Try the chimney pipe alone and see if it's viable visibly, if not next season pay a construction company 5g to build a chase, and veneer it.

Does the room that the stove will be in have a cathedral ceiling? If so, some installs have a 45º offset in the stovepipe that follows the interior ceiling line to a location closer to the roof ridge for a shorter exterior chimney. In this case the stovepipe must be double-wall.

Image (2).jpeg

Last edited:
Does the room that the stove will be in have a cathedral ceiling? If so, some installs have a 45º offset in the stovepipe that follows the interior ceiling line to a location closer to the roof ridge for a shorter exterior chimney. In this case the stovepipe must be double-wall.
There you go. Nice option.
My wife actually said she likes that we have an angled leg on our install. I kinda agree with her. Not sure why we think it looks cool.