13' chimney too short ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian1971

Nov 19, 2017
Pa
is a 13' chimney to short for a englander fireplace insert. I haven't purchased insert or liner yet, still planning

Can't add much but I have 13 foot 6 inch liner in a clay tile chimney for a Hampton HI 200 and it works fine. It also takes a 5.5 inch liner. It does have a small fire box though.

Last edited:
I have 5 feet of double wall from the stove collar to the support box and then 8 feet of duratech class A on top of that. So far it has performed flawlessly.

Someone that actually owns one needs to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those are fairly easy breathers and should do fine on a shorter chimney...unless maybe you trying to do a cold start on a warmer day...maybe...

When a manufacturer recommends a certain height, it can be due to the height the appliance was tested with. This assures it is installed as tested. It doesn't always mean the appliance won't work with less.

Reactions: brenndatomu