1975 Defiant temp. control?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burnt ends

Dec 6, 2008
Central PA
Can someone tell me if the, flap, air regulator in the back of this stove is temperature regulated? I swear that after I close the top damper and front doors and reach my second (horozontial) burn, the flap will sometimes close. The little metal handle is still where I placed it but I am sure the flap has closed a little. If it is temp. controled do I set the flap where I want it and the flap will open or close to allow more or less air in?

yes it moves. its supposed to act as a thermostat. as the room or stove cools it will open back up and give the firebox more air to provide a more consistant temp

From an earlier post:
The air intake is controlled by a small lever on the top left back of the stove (this is a fine short lever, about 3/16” in diameter and about maybe 2-3” tall). This lever is tied to a thermostatic coil. There should be a chain going from this thermostatic coil straight down to a metal flapper damper. This damper is about 2"x4" and is located at the bottom back left side. If that chain is missing, the air supply will be cut off. Moving the upper air control lever to the left to opens up the air. Once the stove is hot and horiz. burn is going well you can move it to a more center position. Set the lever to the temp you desire. The stove will self-regulate the air according to the stove temp, all by itself from that point on.

Status
Not open for further replies.