(2) inserts install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
Hey guys, my dad and I went on a little recon mission two days ago at a foreclosed property I'm looking at.
I brief description: 4 bedroom ranch with full walk out basement, total upstairs sqft is about 2,000 sq ft and same? for the basement.
Anyway for hearth specific's, looking from the outside (no pics) there is a main chimney located almost center of the house, there are (4) separate flues with (4) separate caps.
In the basement they have an old franklin wood stove connected to (1) flue, then on the other side of the chimney in a separate room (utility room) they have the oil boiler piped to the other.
Obviously I would take my bk princess and trade out the old franklin stove.
Upstairs is a different story, peering in the window they have one of those 2-way fire places, one side goes to the kitchen, living room, dinning room, the other goes to the main den room, from the den the hallway is connected to get to the bedrooms and assuming the bathroom.
My 1st thought was - masonry heater, I've seen so refurb ones from old fireplaces on youtube, but the cost and space has me concerned, then I thought (2) inserts, back to back with a block off plate? I could just run the one insert as I see fit but if a arctic outbreak occurs i'll be prepared.
I also should let you know a head of time that regardless of the chimney condition any stove that I put in will have a liner (depending on flue size, and whether the proper masonry clearances are correct) will determine if its insulated or not) *remember this big chimney is interior.
I work for a power company and I already know due to this houses location (stand alone, middle of the woods, through the woods back yard line construction) that I will have power outages, and some of them might be longer than average outages) that's why I'm leaning wood stove heavy for this place.

Weight would also be a concern.
Being that the basement is directly underneath I would suspect that just new footing would have to be poured then build up with concrete blocks to the 1st floor or 10ft up.
I'm starting to think again masonry heater, (2)stoves, plus (2) liners, with me doing the work is getting close to 8 g's, I wish the masonry heaters were more popular around here to get a honest quote, I don't think that a regular mason would understand the intricacies of a masonry heater being added to an existing large fireplace without a lot of as builts and hidden costs at the end of the project.
As far as the duet - I looks like a nice unit, scanned through the thread and saw the burn times were between 4-6 hrs, (that's not going to work for me) also it would be very difficult to cut vents through the masonry to vent the heat, also it seems like its full function is dependent on electricity.
The double insert idea I have is like (2) bk princess inserts, they stick out of the fireplace pretty good to get decent radiant heat, also under normal conditions they will run loads of 10-14hrs depending on how cold it is outside.
I just wonder if the T-stats will cancel each other out if there both running at the same time.

While the furnace makes sense for heating up stairs I don't like the duct work or the idea I need electric to run it, I would want to finish the basement and not have any boxed or padded out areas from duct work runs

If the fireplace is large enough I would consider putting in a good insert and grillwork on the other side.

I've always had this picture in my head of an insert out one side and a soap stone shelf/warming oven type thing out the other.

I've always had this picture in my head of an insert out one side and a soap stone shelf/warming oven type thing out the other.
Good idea. I like it!

Is the double fireplace on a load bearing wall?

I might change that wall to a kneewall/bar, lay down a stove pad where the old double hearth was, and put a nice wood cookstove in there. That might be cheaper than two stoves, give you wide open space for heating and easy kitchen access, and give you a second cooktop in the winter. Oh yes, and let's not forget the bar between the kitchen and living room.

I think I would do the downstairs stove, upstairs insert and a whole home generator instead of the third stove.

While the furnace makes sense for heating up stairs I don't like the duct work or the idea I need electric to run it,
There are lots of Amish homes heated with wood furnaces using gravity. Thats's why PSG offers the Caddy sans blower and with a thermo-spring damper control. Of course not too many ranch style Amish homes...their typical 2 story farm house style homes probably lend themselves to gravity heat more readily than a rancher...just throwin out an option for ya...

Status
Not open for further replies.