2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
It’s a new year, right? Lol

E7E503B5-C3E1-475F-811B-A71137FA9793.jpeg

Ruh roh, looks like we'll be switching to hardwood next week.

Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 9.18.18 AM.png

I have no idea what’s going to come, lol. It’ll arrive, I’ll not be able to find my shovel or it’ll be broken… life will go on, lol

Reactions: thewoodlands
Snow shovels out here have cobwebs and with 4+ days of snow predicted our road won't get plowed for at least a week, if at all. That means no mail delivery. We have plenty of food and wood, so we'll see how the forcast develops in the next few days.

This was on nextdoor, so it must be right. Btw, there has been a mass sighting of coyotes and foxes in my area, lol.

4698F183-EE41-4026-8C06-8031645BF916.png

I need to go to a wrestling tournament tomorrow morning. The storm will be coming in as it ends. I’m thinking the roads will be fine. They have all day to prep the roads.

If typical patterns follow, when we get a cold blast, it seeps eastward at much lower temps due to little blockage from Canada to Texas.

I need to go to a wrestling tournament tomorrow morning. The storm will be coming in as it ends. I’m thinking the roads will be fine. They have all day to prep the roads.
Have a safe trip. We might get 3 to 5 inches from the system this weekend and then it looks like warmer weather starting on Tuesday & Wednesday with rain. Hopefully it melts everything off the driveway or we'll be all ice back here.

Last edited:
Keep a look out for another system coming in for next weekend, that one should be all snow. The same guy was saying the winds could be 50 to 60 mph with the system coming in on Tuesday night and Wednesday of the coming week.

Next weekend is sectional qualifiers for states. Thats in a more rural area. Eh, what are ya gonna do? Gotta watch the kid. The truck has so much weight in the back I doubt ill need to get out of rear wheel drive this year, lol.

I had the kid clear the driveway around noon and there was 6” then. I cleared it again about an hour ago and moved 2-3”.

I think the snow will be stopping soon.

We're in the orange, if we get these I'm sure it will cause some tree damage.
1704676953679.png

I hope there isn’t a ton of wind. That could be bad with all of the mature white pines around.

It’s supposed to be 37 and sunny today. I hope enough of that sun hits my north facing driveway to clean it up, lol.

I think I saw an expected 1-3” tomorrow.

It’s supposed to be 37 and sunny today. I hope enough of that sun hits my north facing driveway to clean it up, lol.

I think I saw an expected 1-3” tomorrow.
This is the next system coming our way.
1704747416591.png

Looks like we get the choice of rain, and freezing rain! Lol.

I was able to get 90% of the driveway ice and snow free today.

Freezing rain is the worse. I hate ice storms.

Looks like we get the choice of rain, and freezing rain! Lol.

I was able to get 90% of the driveway ice and snow free today.
Yes, it's one of those storms that offers up everything. I did scrape down the driveway good today so hopefully it gets down to gravel.

I still have a few things that will get done early tomorrow, the forks and the plow will come out of the woods to a safe area. I did get 10 gallons of gas, 10 gallons of diesel after we did some grocery shopping.

I'll get some chainsaws ready tomorrow along with sharpening up some chains. The wife made some very good potato soup the other day and today she made some kickass chili.