2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The following arctic air is frigid, pipe-freezing cold. Let the furnace cycle once or twice if the wood stove is burning so that the basement gets some heat.

Next 6 nights/days here are forecast to have wind chills ranging from -5 to -30F. That’s pretty cold for Kansas. The Switzer will be put to good use. Osage orange heat. 👍🏾

Reactions: thewoodlands
Winds yesterday seemed to bring more damage here than the storm Tuesday night. I was hoping to get a chimney repair company out before the storm to fix a leak in the flashing on ours. Was a fun night dealing with that. Lost power for a few hours but could've been worse. Wind the next day took more people's power than the Tuesday night madness. Crazy! Hope you all fared well.

Next 6 nights/days here are forecast to have wind chills ranging from -5 to -30F. That’s pretty cold for Kansas. The Switzer will be put to good use. Osage orange heat. 👍🏾
That's cold for up here, we've usually had single to double digit minus temps already but nothing yet. I hope we get some snow because if we don't, the frost will just get deeper than usual.

Winter is finally making an appearance in Alberta and MT as well. If you want to feel warmer where you are, go to the NWS and pull up the forecast for say Cut Bank MT. High tomorrow -21, with gusts to 22 mph. Forecast discussion is allowing the possibility of lows exceeding -50. It's a dry cold!

• Wow
...WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 PM THIS EVENING TO 10 AM EST SATURDAY...* WHAT...Southeast winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph expected.* WHERE...Portions of northern New York and central, northeast, northwest and southern Vermont.* WHEN...From 11 PM this evening to 10 AM EST Saturday.* IMPACTS...Gusty winds could blow around unsecured objects. Tree limbs could be blown down and isolated to scattered power outages may result.* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Wind gusts will generally reach peak intensity between 3 and 8 AM Saturday.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...Use extra caution when driving, especially if operating a high profile vehicle. Secure outdoor objects.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO NOON EST SATURDAY...* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches. Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.* WHERE...Southeastern St. Lawrence County.* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to noon EST Saturday.* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. Gusty winds could bring down tree branches.* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Snowfall rates up to 1 inch per hour are possible for a brief period during the pre-dawn hours on Saturday.

We are taking the second rattling this week. 40-50 gusts to 80.

More pine on the ground to burn.....

It’s pretty mild up here so far. It’s been nice! Working outside hasn’t been unpleasant at all!

It’s nice and sunny here today. Just below freezing right now.

They’re calling for wind gusts up to 60 mph this weekend. And then lows to drop into the single digits by next weekend.

Oh and possible lake effect snow this weekend too. Should be fun. Hopefully the last wind storm blew down all the weak trees already :)

Well power down and on genny at noon. Kinda rough out there right now.

How high are your winds?
They are calling for gusts to 90mph. As a bike rider I would say solidly over 80 right now.

Screenshot_20240112_124528_Wunderground.jpg

Well power down and on genny at noon. Kinda rough out there right now.
Hope this gets resolved quickly. We have friends living in a yurt that just had their well go down yesterday. The creek is frozen. I guess the only saving grace is their outhouse doesn't freeze up, but negaive temps give new meaning to first contact. !!!

Hope this gets resolved quickly. We have friends living in a yurt that just had their well go down yesterday. The creek is frozen. I guess the only saving grace is their outhouse doesn't freeze up, but negaive temps give new meaning to first contact. !!!
It's been in and out since then but seems to have come on to stay, I hope.

Man I remember tongues and frozen flagpoles. Sub zero outhouse? Yeah no thank you.

Depending on the outhouse, the seat can be removed and kept warm until needed. But if they have an outhouse, they know this already! Lol

It's calming down quickly in the last 45 minutes. Hope it's done.

Depending on the outhouse, the seat can be removed and kept warm until needed. But if they have an outhouse, they know this already! Lol
I'm sure they are getting creative. They sell dense styrofoam seats for winter in AK.

Currently partly sunny and 16 dF here, with a light powdering of snow on the ground from yesterday. NOAA predicts daytime temps around 22 dF / overnight temps around 12 dF for the next couple of nights, and then warming all the way up to 32 dF day / 20 dF overnight by Monday. Wind a bit below 10 mph.

Unusually cold for the PNW, although we had similar temps (and more snow) in December 2022.

Turned the stove up to 50% air yesterday, and needed 8 hour reloads for the first time. Indoors stayed around 70 dF.

Here is what they are telling us

Forecast issued: 3:30 PM EST Friday 12 January 2024​

WINTER STORM WARNING
10:57 AM EST Friday 12 January 2024
Winter storm expected tonight to Saturday morning.Hazards:Heavy snowfall with total accumulations of 15 to 25 cm.Peak snowfall rates of 3 to 5 cm per hour.Strong wind gusts resulting in significantly reduced visibility in blowing snow.Timing:This evening to Saturday morning.Discussion:Snow is forecast to begin this evening and will quickly become heavy at times tonight, before transitioning to periods of light snow Saturday morning. Strong easterly winds gusting up to 70 km/h will combine with this heavy snow to cause significantly reduced visibility at times.Surfaces such as highways, roads, walkways and parking lots may become difficult to navigate due to accumulating snow. Visibility will be suddenly reduced to near zero at times in heavy snow and blowing snow.Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve.Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ONStorm.
Follow:
DateDetailed Forecast
TonightIncreasing cloudiness. Snow at times heavy and local blowing snow beginning this evening. Amount 10 to 20 cm. Wind east 30 km/h gusting to 60. Low minus 5 with temperature rising to minus 1 by morning. Wind chill minus 13 this evening and minus 7 overnight.
Sat, 13 JanPeriods of snow and local blowing snow. Amount 2 to 4 cm. Wind east 20 km/h becoming southwest 30 gusting to 60 near noon. High zero with temperature falling to minus 2 in the afternoon. Wind chill minus 8 in the afternoon.
NightFlurries. Local amount 2 cm. Wind southwest 30 km/h gusting to 60. Low minus 7. Wind chill minus 8 in the evening and minus 16 overnight.
Sun, 14 JanCloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. High minus 4.
NightCloudy periods with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 10.
Mon, 15 JanA mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of flurries. High minus 7.
NightCloudy periods. Low minus 11.
Tue, 16 JanCloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. High minus 7.
NightCloudy. Low minus 13.
Wed, 17 JanA mix of sun and cloud. High minus 8.
NightCloudy periods with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 15.
Thu, 18 JanA mix of sun and cloud with 30 percent chance of flurries. High minus 8.
NormalsMax-5°C.Min-14°C.Sunrise7:40 ESTSunset16:45 EST
Symbol of the Government of Canada
1705093740321.png

BFDAC87F-5A6C-4FD3-A56D-CA8FE67461AB.jpeg
Graph from my personal weather station. We were drifted in a big share of the day again. County isn’t allowing their grader operators to run the gravel roads, for some reason. My brother-in-law came and cleared our road with his 4 wheel drive tractor and blade around noon, then I ran it once later with my 1650. This snow came originally on top of mud, so that is still under it where it hasn’t been cleared. They’ve buried several road graders and had to pull them out with dozers.

E1CD2289-8A13-4B93-BA8C-072EE8B55B70.jpeg
I realized after I posted that the first graph was in Celsius. (My wife is a Canadian, so I had it set that way for her.) Here it is in Farenheit.

She’s from Manitoba, so that’d be the Winnipeg Jets.
Great fans, I was glad when the Atlanta Thrashers became the Winnipeg Jets. Atlanta never supports their NHL teams.