2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
we were supposed to get nailed ,nuffin
We had some good winds early this morning but no winds at the moment. After the winds stopped, it rained real hard but that has pretty much stopped with the snow and more wind coming in this afternoon.

The snow totals dropped from the map they had up last night but that's okay with me.

1705157210837.png

Hey at least I’m not in the dark orange zone. Haha. I’m just south of Watertown on the far left of that map.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Here, walking distance from the Mason-Dixon line, we've had a total of <1" of snow in the last 23 months. :(

With my heatpump, I usually only really burn when it is below 30° and preferably below 22°. We've had a few hours of the latter so far this winter.

I'm hoping for some proper cold (and maybe snow) next week.

The snow is starting to come down pretty good but so far, no wind.

Wind just arrived about 10 minutes ago. Supposed to get some snow tonight.

Last Tuesday we had a mess. I drove 150 miles through it. Windy. Tesla auto steer was really good in the wind. I could drive at my vision limits and it kept in the lane. I had a narrow gap to shoot in the worst of it and I drove 80 when it stopped raining. Wind was blowing wipers off the windshield and pulling windows away from seals a couple time. They canceled school here. A few tornado warnings.

It will get quite cold next weekend. With mid 20s mid week.

2024 severe weather!

Wind just arrived about 10 minutes ago. Supposed to get some snow tonight.
Heavy snow has started to fall.

That band moved through quick, not much of the white stuff is falling.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine how they are getting enough calories to survive those temperatures!

The temp is low enough that I don't want to do outdoor carpentry. I settled on a design for a better firewood rack with a roof, but it won't be built for at least a week, maybe a month while snow piles up on logs.

The winds are really howling tonight, glad I'm not on the road.

No wind down here. I think we’re supposed to get some snow tomorrow.

I can’t imagine how they are getting enough calories to survive those temperatures!
I refilled the feeder this morning. Two hummingbirds met me at the garage door and started drinking from the feeder while I was carrying it out. They're used to me, but not usually *that* used to me.

Still plenty of other small birds around. They seem to do better in the cold than I would.

Well, gonna be driving today! It's her sectional wrestling tournament day! Kid is seeded 2nd in her weight class! Just a bit more and she'll earn her trip to states!

Well, gonna be driving today! It's her sectional wrestling tournament day! Kid is seeded 2nd in her weight class! Just a bit more and she'll earn her trip to states!
Good luck . 👍

She lost a match, but was able to secure 3rd place. That’ll give her a 19-2 record for the year so far. Hopefully she’ll get to go to states. Only 1st and 2nd place is guaranteed a spot. But she’s a freshman, so there’s lots of time!

Looks like a couple inches of snow tuesday, with several inches friday into Saturday. Looks like the winter temps are finally here as well.

Bigtime flooding again in Camden harbor (Maine). Whole coast got hit with heavy easterly winds during an extreme high tide (new moon), made for some very high water. Very unusual for my town but happened twice this week and once last winter. Sea level rise definitely a factor here, plus winter winds coming more frequently out of the southeast.