2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
She lost a match, but was able to secure 3rd place. That’ll give her a 19-2 record for the year so far. Hopefully she’ll get to go to states. Only 1st and 2nd place is guaranteed a spot. But she’s a freshman, so there’s lots of time!
That's a great record period and she's only a freshman. Tell her I said congratulations on a great year.

From the plowing I did today, it seemed like we received 6 inches of snow so far. The Lake Effect band stayed below most of the time.

I’ll tell her when she wakes up, lol.

We only had an inch or 2. Just enough to flash freeze the back roads!

Reactions: thewoodlands
We received another 4 to 5 inches of snow overnight, I did the neighbor's driveway and then ours. I also plowed a bunch of trails in the woods so we can walk the dog.

We're still under a Winter Storm Warning until tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Looks like we got almost an inch of snow so far in south jersey with an additional 3 to come over night. First time in a couple years

Bigtime flooding again in Camden harbor (Maine). Whole coast got hit with heavy easterly winds during an extreme high tide (new moon), made for some very high water. Very unusual for my town but happened twice this week and once last winter. Sea level rise definitely a factor here, plus winter winds coming more frequently out of the southeast.

You are not alone!

We have a Lake Effect Snow Warning on for this area, hopefully it stays south of us like the last one did. NOAA is saying 10 inches of snow on the high end.

We’ve had quite a week over the last seven days. It started raining last week Monday. It was still above freezing when it changed to snow. The wind came up that evening, and it continued to snow. By Tuesday morning it was cold and we were drifted in. The power went off Monday night around midnight, and stayed off until 14:00 or so on Tuesday. Snow days for school Tuesday and Wednesday. Had a brief reprieve on Thursday and went back to school. Wind came up again, and it got cold. Snow day again on Friday, and once again we were drifted in. Temperatures got down in the negatives with wind chills in the -15 to -25 range. Church services cancelled on Sunday. Power went off again early Monday morning around 5, but was short lived and came back around 8:30. We did have school on Monday, but off again today due to cold. Lowest temp was -14.7*F, lowest wind chill was -30.7. Our yard has drifts up to 4’ or more tall. Just down the road drifts are 6’-8’. County had bad fuel, and a bunch of their trucks were down. Some days they told their grader operators to only go clear roads to get fire/ems/police to places they had been called. Since it was muddy under the snow, multiple graders got bogged down or slipped into the ditch and had to be pulled out by dozers. We were pretty much on our own, or at the mercy of family or friends with 4x4 tractors or big high-loaders to get dug out. I’ve used my old 1650 Oliver to push more snow than the last 10 winters combined. We’ve been making memories!

We’ve had quite a week over the last seven days. It started raining last week Monday. It was still above freezing when it changed to snow. The wind came up that evening, and it continued to snow. By Tuesday morning it was cold and we were drifted in. The power went off Monday night around midnight, and stayed off until 14:00 or so on Tuesday. Snow days for school Tuesday and Wednesday. Had a brief reprieve on Thursday and went back to school. Wind came up again, and it got cold. Snow day again on Friday, and once again we were drifted in. Temperatures got down in the negatives with wind chills in the -15 to -25 range. Church services cancelled on Sunday. Power went off again early Monday morning around 5, but was short lived and came back around 8:30. We did have school on Monday, but off again today due to cold. Lowest temp was -14.7*F, lowest wind chill was -30.7. Our yard has drifts up to 4’ or more tall. Just down the road drifts are 6’-8’. County had bad fuel, and a bunch of their trucks were down. Some days they told their grader operators to only go clear roads to get fire/ems/police to places they had been called. Since it was muddy under the snow, multiple graders got bogged down or slipped into the ditch and had to be pulled out by dozers. We were pretty much on our own, or at the mercy of family or friends with 4x4 tractors or big high-loaders to get dug out. I’ve used my old 1650 Oliver to push more snow than the last 10 winters combined. We’ve been making memories!

I bet that stove was really earning its keep! Just another reason to always have a stocked pantry. Never know when you could be stuck for multiple days

Yes, my Switzer boiler was put to good use. Usually during the winter I run it twice every 24 hours. Some of those days I had to run three loads, although the third wasn’t a full one.
We didn’t have a county road grader down our road until this week Monday, 6 days after we were drifted in the first time.

We look to be in a pattern of normal weather 30h, 15l give or take. This is good. I hope the sun stays out though. I need to melt the compacted snow off the driveway!

Here, walking distance from the Mason-Dixon line, we've had a total of <1" of snow in the last 23 months. :(

With my heatpump, I usually only really burn when it is below 30° and preferably below 22°. We've had a few hours of the latter so far this winter.

I'm hoping for some proper cold (and maybe snow) next week.
Where in SE PA are you? I used to live there and was also within walking distance to the Mason-Dixon line.

Where in SE PA are you? I used to live there and was also within walking distance to the Mason-Dixon line.
I'm in Northern Delaware County.

We look to be in a pattern of normal weather 30h, 15l give or take. This is good. I hope the sun stays out though. I need to melt the compacted snow off the driveway!
Funny how there's different solutions to the same problem from a slight change in the situation. I'm compacting snow onto my driveway - all the better for the serious plowing that should finally get going a couple of months late! Keeps the driveway and the snow removal equipment happy when they're separated from each other.

My wife grew up in Houston. Snow is a mysterious substance that causes all sorts of calamity for her. If I packed it down, I’d have to put crampons on her boots. Mostly happy wife, happy life!

2024 severe weather!

Lows have been in the low teens for a couple of days. Tight now it is 4* (it was 5* about 30 minutes ago). Still has 3-4 hours to go down.

But, this time of year that is pretty normal. Am not going to jinx it by mentioning what used to be the routine lows and highs for weeks on end. Let's just say, I'm not seeing any forecast for the next 10 days that is that bad.

Had a couple of days of warm weather, now back in the deep freeze. Temp is 5.7F with windchill of -16.4F. Winds 29mph, highest gust this eve so far was 49.9mph. Roads are drifting shut again. Supposed to be cold for a couple of days, then next week up into the 50s and rain. That will make a mess. 🤔

Tonight the forecast is saying rain then ice on Thursday night, anyone else have it in their forecast.

Looks like some rain Wednesday. It’s going to be 10 tonight. If we get rain, something really bad is happening in the sky!

Down to 19 tonight here. Coldest night in the 3 or 4 years. Back up to 75 by Thursday. I I don’t have much practice running stoves for nights like this. If just go to bed I’ll wake up cold. If go load both stoves house will hit 75 before I go to bed.

Load both stoves, turn on AC before bed! Problem solved! Your wife will be thrilled you can maintain the house between 72.3F and 73.6F!