2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
We are supposed to get 4-8” of snow this evening and tonight. Wind is supposed to kick up to 45mph gusts after midnight. It’s heavy snow and sticking to power lines, trees, etc. I’m on volunteer fire department; some have been getting paged out already with trees on fire from power lines. Might be a fun night. We’ve had more snow this year already than the last couple of years combined, I think. Supposed to be -20 wind chills by Sunday. Some people call me crazy, but I’m enjoying it so far!

Reactions: dafattkidd
We are supposed to get 4-8” of snow this evening and tonight. Wind is supposed to kick up to 45mph gusts after midnight. It’s heavy snow and sticking to power lines, trees, etc. I’m on volunteer fire department; some have been getting paged out already with trees on fire from power lines. Might be a fun night. We’ve had more snow this year already than the last couple of years combined, I think. Supposed to be -20 wind chills by Sunday. Some people call me crazy, but I’m enjoying it so far!
Since we live in the woods surrounded by White Pines, we like it better when we don't get high winds but we do like some snow.

They’re calling for wind gusts up to 60mph here. This afternoon and through the night. Should be interesting. Oh and some rain too. The high is 44 today.

I see that south of Buffalo (Westfield, Fredonia) has a bunch of power outages already.

1704825485022.png

We had about 8” of snow out of the wind. But with the wind it all got blown around and we are drifted in. I’ll get out my ole 1650 Oliver and clear our yard yet, but not sure when the county will clear our road. We live down a gravel road, at the end of the road. Past our drive it is mud/non passable when wet. Power went off around midnight and is still off. The Generac is humming away.

Reactions: thewoodlands
The next system coming in after this one.
1704830940024.png

Roads are slippery today. We got about an inch of snow, then it turned to rain/freezing rain about an hour ago. I was parked on a customer’s driveway talking to him, and we watched my truck slide down into the road. My parking brake was on, lol.

• Wow
Roads are slippery today. We got about an inch of snow, then it turned to rain/freezing rain about an hour ago. I was parked on a customer’s driveway talking to him, and we watched my truck slide down into the road. My parking brake was on, lol.
It's raining up here too, I'm not sure what the temp is but the last I checked Accu, they had us at 34.

Wow that’s crazy about the truck sliding down the driveway. Hopefully no damage to the truck or other property.

The wind is picking up here. We got a few inches of snow today. Now it’s raining.

Fortunately the wind is blowing from the SE. We have a bit of wooded property in that direction. It at least shelters us somewhat.

We still have power for now.

No damage that I know about. It didn’t have far to go, maybe 10 feet. And it was slow. Any momentum it had was self generated.

I had that happen one other time. I parked on a hill. Turned the truck off and got out. Then the truck decided it wanted to slide. I jumped back in, flipped it on, and steered away from parked vehicles.

Reactions: DonTee
The cable box did a reboot about 7:30, the lights didn't seem to flicker so we didn't lose power. I shut the pellet stove off for the night, the propane fireplace/insert is supplying the heat.

Another brownout but everything came back on, there are some power outages west of us.

Well this wind is definitely not fun. A black oak I had ear marked for cutting decided to come down on its own. Few feet over and would’ve been popping in to say hi

Attachments

• IMG_5732.mov
    13.8 MB
Well this wind is definitely not fun. A black oak I had ear marked for cutting decided to come down on its own. Few feet over and would’ve been popping in to say hi
A good miss. 👍

Reactions: weee123
We have had too much rain for wind we are getting tonight. I’m expecting a few volunteers on the ground come daylight. I’ve been cutting them back from the house since we moved in 5 years ago but there are still a few in range that could do some damage…

We had a tree fall across the road at the bottom of my property (can’t see it from the house). Must not have been down long because the plow was by earlier. Anyways, a car coming up the road ran into it. I saw the yellow flashing lights from the town trucks down the road and went to investigate. The car didn’t look too bad. Probably drivable.

The town used their big wheel loader to push the tree off the road. I get to go down there tomorrow and see what kind of firewood Mother Nature gave me. I’m gonna guess it was an ash or big tooth aspen.

I feel bad for the guy who hit it. If it had been visible from my house I would have gone out there to get it out of the road before someone ran into it.

A good miss. 👍

Oh yea. It used to be a split tree but the other half died years ago and fell into the neighbors yard before I moved in. I was always leary of this guy because of the rotten stump that was still next to it but it had decently healthy foilage so I was putting it off.

Well tonight revealed the root system was rotten.

148 power outages just south of us and another 75 northwest of us, we just had another brownout.

We ended up not losing power. Many people around us did though.

The tree that fell across the road was a big tooth aspen. Bummer.

Here’s a pic of an ash that fell on my property

0CF5155E-1DC2-491A-BA92-8BFAA180C6BD.jpeg

We never lost power but we did lose cable that came back on overnight.

1704979756965.png

1704980079016.png

1704980573533.png

1704980595705.png

Last edited:
Saw the buoy on Penobscot Bay recorded gusts over 50 knots early yesterday morning. Had an extra high tide yesterday and with the storm there was quite a surge. Closed U.S. Route 1 in places and wreaked havoc around the harbor--docks torn away, buildings flooded. Same think happened last winter. Sea level rise is going to be....well, interesting. Let's just say I'm glad I live 500 feet above.

659edfa31deba.image.jpg

Winds yesterday seemed to bring more damage here than the storm Tuesday night. I was hoping to get a chimney repair company out before the storm to fix a leak in the flashing on ours. Was a fun night dealing with that. Lost power for a few hours but could've been worse. Wind the next day took more people's power than the Tuesday night madness. Crazy! Hope you all fared well.