2024 severe weather!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yeah, I had trees near my home here assessed last summer - turns out three of them were bad (and indeed they were, after cutting them down). 2 red oaks and one maple (not silver from the leave shape and fall color, but I don't know which type). All about 2 ft dia.

One oak was this one (the "spalting-like lighter ring in the center was dry but very soft - didn't want this being able to reach my home - the saw is only 18").
Cut down by a company (see near my home...), but bucked with that saw.
IMG_20230712_190923479.jpg

Reactions: thewoodlands
Yeah, I had trees near my home here assessed last summer - turns out three of them were bad (and indeed they were, after cutting them down). 2 red oaks and one maple (not silver from the leave shape and fall color, but I don't know which type). All about 2 ft dia.

One oak was this one (the "spalting-like lighter ring in the center was dry but very soft - didn't want this being able to reach my home - the saw is only 18").
View attachment 325289
That will make for some nice firewood, ours..... not so much.

Reactions: stoveliker
I'm still waiting for it to cool down before starting a fire; it went from 51 back up to 53...

I'm still waiting for it to cool down before starting a fire; it went from 51 back up to 53...
The temp here fell 33 degrees from the high of 57 to 24 at the moment, we're heading down to 11 an tomorrow will be another cold day before another warming trend.

• Wow

View attachment 325289
Did you have a thread on it, I searched but didn't find it.

Was a long day here. Just done with everything now.
Executive decision to light the stove tomorrow morning; the forecast now is a low of 28 rather than the 19 a few days ago. I'll run the mini split early and start a (basement) fire at the same time when we wake up.

I heard another crash outside so I turned on the outside lights in the back, another pine came down but the top is resting in another tree, I'll get a better look tomorrow.

well lost power for three hours .only 4 houses lost power everyone else no problem weird
We have power outages all around us but we've been lucky so far, it better not go out, Tremors is on the SYFY channel. ::P

Reactions: joop
Wind is super gusty right now. It is howling with some shaking and banging of the house. Good thing my front storm door has a dead bolt, otherwise that would be gone.

The top 4" of the ground is super soft and saturated, so trees will come down. My trees should be in good shape as I had a bunch of dead/dying/compromised trees taken down 1.5 years ago, and most are on slightly higher land so shouldn't be a wet and springy as the yard is.

Have kept power so far and as far as I know, all the solar panels are still on the roof 😊

We have temps in the 50’s today. Then, later the wind will pick up and the temp will drop. Supposed to be gusts up to 47 mph and the temp will be in the teens. So I’m sure the wind chill will be pretty cold.

I’m looking forward to the drop in temp. Hoping it will recharge my maple syrup tap buckets ;)
Not looking forward to the wind though.
I took advantage of the early week warmth and collected. Concentrated it last night and plan to boil this morning. Wind here is quietat the moment and sky is blue. Another run coming next week.

We didn't lose power so that was nice, we have some smaller pine down not far from the house caused by the wind. I'll buck those up today and tomorrow I'll s/s them.

Reactions: joop
I have a full sap collection tank from before the freeze. I need to get crackin on boiling it down. Probably starting tomorrow and then over the weekend. I figured the cold weather would buy me a little more time and keep the sap from going bad.

I had one smaller spruce tree (around 10” diameter) blow over on the kids swingset. It didn’t damage the swingset fortunately. It sucks that the trees that fall are almost always trees I don’t want for firewood :)

I have a full sap collection tank from before the freeze. I need to get crackin on boiling it down. Probably starting tomorrow and then over the weekend. I figured the cold weather would buy me a little more time and keep the sap from going bad.

I had one smaller spruce tree (around 10” diameter) blow over on the kids swingset. It didn’t damage the swingset fortunately. It sucks that the trees that fall are almost always trees I don’t want for firewood :)
I boiled ten gallons of 6% sap today and ended with a half gallon of very nice syrup. Just before finishing the power went out so I finished on a Coleman stove rather than bringing it in the house. Under the curcumstances I was very happy with the result. Right now we are on candle, woodstove and generator. I need to keep the sump pump running otherwise I would have kept the generator in the garage. Let me know how your boiling goes this weekend.

I boiled ten gallons of 6% sap today and ended with a half gallon of very nice syrup. Just before finishing the power went out so I finished on a Coleman stove rather than bringing it in the house. Under the curcumstances I was very happy with the result. Right now we are on candle, woodstove and generator. I need to keep the sump pump running otherwise I would have kept the generator in the garage. Let me know how your boiling goes this weekend.
Are you using an RO to get it it 6% and then boiling from there? I’ve been thinking about adding an RO to my setup. I know they have those bucket setups.

I’m just a small time back yard syrup maker. Hoping for 5 gallons this year. So far the syrup has been lighter. I’m hoping that warmer weather will give me some dark syrup.

Our weather forecast for the next 10 days shows no freezing temps after tomorrow. Maybe real spring is actually here 😅

Are you using an RO to get it it 6% and then boiling from there? I’ve been thinking about adding an RO to my setup. I know they have those bucket setups.

I’m just a small time back yard syrup maker. Hoping for 5 gallons this year. So far the syrup has been lighter. I’m hoping that warmer weather will give me some dark syrup.

Our weather forecast for the next 10 days shows no freezing temps after tomorrow. Maybe real spring is actually here 😅
I am very small scale as well; ten taps. I purchased an RO Bucket with one filter a couple of weeks ago; it was my splurge addition for the year. 2% goes in and 4% comes out. A second pass is much slower but results in 8%. I like the balance between art and science in the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: DonTee
IMG_0446.jpeg
59* temperature drop here at my house from Tuesday at noon to Wednesday morning at 6:47. Today it was back up to 55*.

• Wow
Reactions: bogieb
This is my 10 day forecast. Not bad at all.

I noticed the red wing blackbirds are back at my dads house the other day. That’s a good sign

58B67312-B45F-4585-B890-36B0DF1B4993.jpeg

If they got that here, it’d be a snow day for sure! The kids didn’t get any this year.

We had about a half dozen snow days here this school year. Some were early in the season when the plow guys weren’t ready I think.

They also do a thing were they’ll start school 2 hours late instead of doing a snow day. We’ve had about a half dozen of those as well.

The school is very good about letting me know early. I’ll get a call and text about 5:30am on a snow day or late start day.

From the wind the other day in my town
Screenshot_20240301_180028_Facebook.jpg
the center of my town

• Wow