29 days left to grab all you can!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many you still need?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
certified106 said:
I have 10 cords stacked, Roughly 3 bucked and ready to split, and I girdled 3 big ones so the leaves will never come out and I can cut them anytime I want this summer.

Post a pic Please and rdust to...Awesome after a winter we had to be setting on 10 full cords! Just fricken wished I was! lol

smokinjay said:
Awesome after a winter we had to be setting on 10 full cords!

Attachments

• 040211 heao.jpg
    040211 heao.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 223
smokinjay said:
Post a pic Please and rdust to...Awesome after a winter we had to be setting on 10 full cords! Just fricken wished I was! lol

The difference is I use half of what you use! I couldn't imagine trying to keep of with your furnace. I'll try to grab some pictures of the current stacks tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day!

Here is pretty much what I started with minus a couple smaller stacks. I X out the cords that I've torched so far.

Attachments

• DSC_0292.jpg
    DSC_0292.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC_0295.jpg
    DSC_0295.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 196
  • Oak-SilverMaple5-2009.jpg
    Oak-SilverMaple5-2009.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 198
rdust said:
smokinjay said:

The difference is I use half of what you use! I couldn't imagine trying to keep of with your furnace. I'll try to grab some pictures of the current stacks tomorrow if it doesn't rain all day!

Here is pretty much what I started with minus a couple smaller stacks. I X out the cords that I've torched so far.

WISH I HAD! Thats a big big advantage!

smokinjay said:
certified106 said:
I have 10 cords stacked, Roughly 3 bucked and ready to split, and I girdled 3 big ones so the leaves will never come out and I can cut them anytime I want this summer.

Jay, I'll try to get around to this week but I warn you I have some odd stacking habits and I'm almost embarrassed after looking savages's and Zapny's stacks.
One of my top prioritys this year is to lay off cuting wood and work on creating an organized stacking system. I just ordered the metal for a 24x16 shed that I am going to be building. half of it will hold my winter's worth of wood and the other half is for the tractor and splitter. I bushhogged off a semi flat spot this winter and started collecting pallets so I can restack everything in one central location. Last project for this summer is I'm building a wood door that opens right onto the hearth so I can pass the wood in to the hearth and not be tromping through the house as right now I come up 5 steps across a big deck into the office and through the living room to get to the hearth and my back is getting sick of humping the wood! I'm not looking forward to these tasks this summer but the end results will give me a much easier winter.

certified106 said:
smokinjay said:
certified106 said:

Jay, I'll try to get around to this week but I warn you I have some odd stacking habits and I'm almost embarrassed after looking savages's and Zapny's stacks.
One of my top prioritys this year is to lay off cuting wood and work on creating an organized stacking system. I just ordered the metal for a 24x16 shed that I am going to be building. half of it will hold my winter's worth of wood and the other half is for the tractor and splitter. I bushhogged off a semi flat spot this winter and started collecting pallets so I can restack everything in one central location. Last project for this summer is I'm building a wood door that opens right onto the hearth so I can pass the wood in to the hearth and not be tromping through the house as right now I come up 5 steps across a big deck into the office and through the living room to get to the hearth and my back is getting sick of humping the wood! I'm not looking forward to these tasks this summer but the end results will give me a much easier winter.

Lol I suck at stacking........I am happy to have them stand for a month! I was going to pile again this year but the gf took over stacking. She is better than I am but not by much...Shhh I hope she does not read this one.

woodchip said:
it will soon be fishing season here, down the beach for the mackerel and sea bass!
While you're stalking the wily, elusive mackeral, I'll be locked in an epic struggle with deer ticks, chiggers, sticker bushes, poison ivy and the occasional Copperhead.
:lol:

Never have enough. I have 5 cords in the wood shed. about 4 cords next to the shed partly split that was cut this year and 15 cords of oak just delivered. The grandson and I started splitting that today. It's 8in and under so not bad but need to get it stacked. I don't normally buy wood but this was $100 a cord oak, 18in, in 8in and under rounds. The guy and his brother cuts and delivers 3 cord a day for $300. I think when i get it split and stacked it will come out well over the 15 cords.
I'm going to have my woods timbered this summer so I'll have LOTS of tops to keep me busy. I really want to get several years ahead as I hit the big 69 in a month and never know when I can't get out there for a while.
Wood in split and stacked form is worth more than money in the bank as the price is got to only go up and 1% interest on cd's makes money in the bank get small.
Lets see............... I'm 69 and burn 7 cords a year and plan to make it to 100 before I turn the heat down so it looks like I need about 217 cords stacked and drying. I'm not sure if I'll make it this summer.
leaddog

SolarAndWood said:
Don't need any and don't have much control of when it comes anyway.

That's about where I sit now. 11-12 has been stacked since last summer-fall. Probably have all I need for 12-13 on-site now with 3/4 of it split, the rest in rounds and 3 logs sitting out front by the street. As for this year though, I'm pretty much out of dry stuff. I've scraped together every dry scrap & chunk I can find in the yard for the last 2 weeks and am down to 3 good fires for the chilliest, dampest days left. I vow not to go out like this again :zip:

"Wood, wood everywhere and not a split to burn!"

Heard that, my count says 9-10 this year.

SolarAndWood said:
Heard that, my count says 9-10 this year.

Mine two lol one the last row about a 1/3 left. Shag bark to pull off the last month.

I've got a cord and a half still in the burn shed but I'm going back to chunks and uglies from the heap now that the snow is gone.

i need about 20 more cord. lol theni should be good go start selling.

ecocavalier02 said:
i need about 20 more cord. lol theni should be good go start selling.

lol, ante up

Its gettin there. tree sevice is delivering again and craiglist is full of good stuff. just kinda on hold. picking up a new truck this week. then my setup will be mint. ill just have one item to make my job easier and thats the bigger saw. all in good time

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 211
ecocavalier02 said:
ill just have one item to make my job easier

Have you told your wife about your plans for the stone circular drive to the processing area?

Lol i thinkd she love it. my wifes a trooper though she has really been supportive in me trying to get started making a little living out of this.

ecocavalier02 said:
Lol i thinkd she love it. my wifes a trooper though she has really been supportive in me trying to get started making a little living out of this.

We are making a run at it now, Its the gf full time job with part-time pay...lol

All about doin what you love. And I love every second of it.

I'm still waiting for the 6+ feet of snow on the ground to melt off before I start my firewood collecting... I'll probably be able to start cutting some lower-elevation stuff down in the canyon within a month... up higher, I'll probably have to wait till June. I'm looking to get maybe 4 cords of firewood for next winter... maybe 5, so I have some extra for summer campfire wood...

Jay,

It's only snowing so I grabbed some pics of the current stacks. Pretty much look the same as the other ones. I have probably a cord or so of white ash in rounds but didn't snap a picture, I didn't feel like walking that much. :)

P4030005.jpg

Pretty much all ash here with a little white oak.

P4030006.jpg

P4030008.jpg

Some poplar, the rounds are also poplar. I'll probably give the rounds away, I don't feel like dealing with them.

Poplar.jpg

P4030004.jpg

Small stack, almost a third cord of black locust and hickory.

LocustHickory.jpg

Should be a cord of white ash here give or take that needs to be stacked.

AshJan2011.jpg

Some northern red oak here, should be a 1/2-3/4 cord.

RedOakNov2010.jpg

Woody Stover said:
smokinjay said:
Woody Stover said:
make that 27 cd.
Thats a very tall order. I thought at one point I was going to make a 3 year supply but this winter took that pipe dream away...lol
Yeah, not happening here this year, either. 3 cd. each is following the advice to have 1.5 x what you think you need. Actually, we could all just about make it on 2 cd. apiece, when I get them new combustors and reseal their stoves. Heck, I made it on ~2 cd. and it was a long, cold winter. The reality is one step at a time, 2-yr supply w/Red Oak in the pipeline (3 yrs for me); 6 cd. for us, 4 cd. each for them, for a total of 14 cd. plus helping BIL. They'll be working too, splitting/stacking so maybe it can be done.
Just in case it doesn't work out, do you know how far it is to Michigan, and when rdust leaves for work? ;-) I could get 2 cd. off the top his pile, and he would probably write it off as shrinkage from drying. :lol:

smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:
I need 7 cord for this coming winter
I am with you. I think 7 would get me there.
7 cords?? :bug: Where do you guys live, in Medieval castles?!!

Seven cord is for 1800sq' house, 34 x 42 x 15 shop with 2 cold vehicles going in every night, and domestic hot water for a family of 5 including summer time. At 120 / cord hardwood around here thats $840 / year
heat cost if I bought my wood. (not bad in my opinion) But I cut my own wood so maybe $100 / year in heat cost. This is an estimate this year will be the first with the gasifacation boiler
the whole year. The 12 x 14 boiler shed also stays pretty warm.

woodsmaster said:
Woody Stover said:
smokinjay said:
Woody Stover said:
make that 27 cd.
Thats a very tall order. I thought at one point I was going to make a 3 year supply but this winter took that pipe dream away...lol
Yeah, not happening here this year, either. 3 cd. each is following the advice to have 1.5 x what you think you need. Actually, we could all just about make it on 2 cd. apiece, when I get them new combustors and reseal their stoves. Heck, I made it on ~2 cd. and it was a long, cold winter. The reality is one step at a time, 2-yr supply w/Red Oak in the pipeline (3 yrs for me); 6 cd. for us, 4 cd. each for them, for a total of 14 cd. plus helping BIL. They'll be working too, splitting/stacking so maybe it can be done.
Just in case it doesn't work out, do you know how far it is to Michigan, and when rdust leaves for work? ;-) I could get 2 cd. off the top his pile, and he would probably write it off as shrinkage from drying. :lol:

smokinjay said:
woodsmaster said:
I need 7 cord for this coming winter
I am with you. I think 7 would get me there.
7 cords?? :bug: Where do you guys live, in Medieval castles?!!

Seven cord is for 1800sq' house, 34 x 42 x 15 shop with 2 cold vehicles going in every night, and domestic hot water for a family of 5 including summer time. At 120 / cord hardwood around here thats $840 / year
heat cost if I bought my wood. (not bad in my opinion) But I cut my own wood so maybe $100 / year in heat cost. This is an estimate this year will be the first with the gasifacation boiler
the whole year. The 12 x 14 boiler shed also stays pretty warm.

Smae here on all account..............lol total 2700 heating dhw as well! 10 cords a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.