1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

29 days left to grab all you can!

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by smokinj, Apr 2, 2011.

?

How many you still need?

1. none

62.5%
  2. 1-2

16.1%
  3. 3-4

5.4%
  4. 5-6

16.1%
  5. More than 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    This is our 4th winter with the Fireview and this is the first time we've gone over 3 cord. In this type of year with our old stove we may have burned 7 cord but 7 I think is the most we ever used. No, I do not miss those days.

I am seeming to have a problem getting over 20 cord put up though.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    If you want 20 let me know, we can make it happen when you hip is done healing.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hey rdust. We're supposed to start the remodel and addition this week. Maybe we'll invite you over when it is done. WE could even build a nice fire out on the sand and have a real cookout?! And I'd love to work with you sometime.
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Awesome Rdust! MMAUL Never lifted today! All pignut hickory. He had two 360 and a 460 like shooting fish in a barrel wot for 3 hours. He had the landing back up for an hour and a half! one splitter today.
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

[quote author="rdust" date="1301868257"]Jay,

It's only snowing so I grabbed some pics of the current stacks. Pretty much look the same as the other ones. I have probably a cord or so of white ash in rounds but didn't snap a picture, I didn't feel like walking that much. :)

Rdust, great job on your accumulation of some great btu's.

Zap
  6. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't get one stick cut last year. I usually start April first and end up at the end of May. I have two years worth left in the stacks so I need to lay another one in behind them by the end of May. Three more cords should take care of it and wipe me out.
  7. Flavo

Flavo Member

Loc:
    chaplin ct
    I burned between 4 and 5 last year and have around 3+ cords bucked so far w/ 70% of that split and stacked. I will try and get as much as I can though through out the year so I can start getting ahead for the coming winters. It's hard work but it seems to be keeping me semi sane.
  8. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I think I'll burn about four cords next winter, so I'd like to get four this spring and summer. A friend up the street is having about a dozen medium-sized trees cut down and I get the wood, so that will be a good start on my cutting. I am about three years ahead and want to stay that way.
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    29 days to go? For the trees to leaf out? If so, that doesn't bother me . . . I do most of my cutting in the summer and Fall . . . then again I also tend to be a couple of years to three years ahead so it doesn't really matter to me if there are leafs on the trees or not. What does concern me a bit though is cutting in Spring and worrying about the bird nests . . . I made that mistake one year and accidentally took down a chickadee nest.
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

I dont like fighting the leaves at all. Just one more thing to deal with so if I can finnish before May that would be Awesome!
  11. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I picked 1-2 but not really sure where I'm at as I've got a bunch of red elm and red oak down and bucked but the ground is too wet to get into the woods to get it out. I think I actually probably have enough to finish 2014/15 which will give me 20 cords c/s/s for the Oslo and I only went through about 2 cords for the Morso (but still burning) this winter and should have plenty already cut to fill that back up.

So, by May 1 I should have 24 cords c/s/s. It has taken me 3 years to get here and not sure what I'm going to do with all my free time. Only processing 6 cords a year is going to seem like child's play.