6" Class A - Hart & Cooley and Selkirk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drew777

Dec 7, 2023
Northeast, PA
I have a 6" Hart & Cooley double wall chimney (late 90's) that I want to top off with a few more feet for better draft. Will the Selkirk Ultratemp lock in? Hoping some old school installers might know...

Not sure about the ultra temp. Selkirk super vent will though. We install Hart &Cooley TLC, the components for supervent are the same.

Not sure about the ultra temp. Selkirk super vent will though. We install Hart &Cooley TLC, the components for supervent are the same.
Oh ok awesome cause I'm pretty sure the supervent will mate to the ultratemp. I'll know for sure next week. If it doesn't work I'll pretty much make it work somehow - I'm adding the pipe well above the roofline so I'm not too concerned.

Good Luck as I hope it works out for you. Keep in mind that a poor connection in the pipe could negate the attempt of more draft. Pipe coming apart in strong winds could be bad as well.

Good Luck as I hope it works out for you. Keep in mind that a poor connection in the pipe could negate the attempt of more draft. Pipe coming apart in strong winds could be bad as well.
Appreciate it. I'm an installer. If the bands don't hold them I'll screw them. If the inners don't match up good I'll cement them. The roof bracket will also be on the top section. I'm taking an 18 off that's on there and adding a 48.

So the outers of the ultratemp do not match up with the old style hart and Cooley whatsoever but the inners do. I was able to make some sleeves to adapt them. The inners slide perfect and the outsides sit on each other with a 20ga stainless band around it. The small gap inside I filled with rockwool. And the roof brace is around the top pipe. It's solid and safe. Would never consider doing this for a customer but for my own house where the connection is well above the roof line anyway, I'm satisfied with how it came out.