660 Picked Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Stopped by our local shop (Woodchop Shop) and bought this 660 for milling and cutting, it sounded real impressive when they started it up at the shop before I took it home.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2906.jpg
    100_2906.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 447
  • 100_2907.jpg
    100_2907.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_2908.jpg
    100_2908.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 449
Zap, I am soooooo jealous. Can't wait to see the pics. once you get the mill, and put it to work. Seriously, very nice. Congrats!

Beetle-Kill said:
Zap, I am soooooo jealous. Can't wait to see the pics. once you get the mill, and put it to work. Seriously, very nice. Congrats!

Beetle-Kill thanks, not sure when they will order the mill,ez rails and the 36 inch bar but until then I'll throw the 20 inch bar on it and go after some Beech.

GIBIR

Oh yeah, gentle break-in and then watch out! keep us posted on your slab thickness on that pine, look forward to seeing the construction of the new outbuilding.

Very nice saw, I am sure you will enjoy it.

A buddy gave me mine 3yrs ago and you cant hurt these beasts. Service it, keep it sharp, and it will be very loyal to you

zapny said:
Stopped by our local shop (Woodchop Shop) and bought this 660 for milling and cutting, it sounded real impressive when they started it up at the shop before I took it home.

Zap

Awesome! Get at-least 5 tanks on it in the cross cut before you think about sidewinder! Those pines are soft enough that break in after 5 tanks will be good to go. My 880 has never cross cut. ( Coulpe silver maple did the trick)

A muffler mod really wakes those 660s up. Arborisite has probably a million threads devoted to it. There is a guy, Brad Snelling, that is a big Stihl guy and has a real nice running 660. I think he ports them too. He is easy to find on arborist. Congrats on a nice saw!!!

wkpoor said:
A muffler mod really wakes those 660s up. Arborisite has probably a million threads devoted to it. There is a guy, Brad Snelling, that is a big Stihl guy and has a real nice running 660. I think he ports them too. He is easy to find on arborist. Congrats on a nice saw!!!

Brand new 660 1200.00 saw Come on now....Your drinking to much Kool-aid. lol J/k

I've ran them right out of the box new and I have ran them modded. And a lot of guys buy them and send them new in the box to be modded. Remember I have a 395 so I know what a 93ccs feels like. Stock they aren't that much IMO. Modded they feel right for the amount of weight you have to tote around. I've also ran the 880s the same.
Only saw to really impress me straight out of the box was the Solo 681

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

Brand new 660 1200.00 saw Come on now....Your drinking to much Kool-aid. lol J/k
OK if you think this is all crap. How far are you from Martinsville IN. I can give you a name and number if you want to run some modded saws.

Out here in WA. this is STIHL country... hahaha. Really though the local shop does modify the 660s right out of the box, port, muffler, ETC. about $200.00 for the full package. I have run both stock and fully modified. There is a huge difference. :gulp: Nice saw by the way ZAP!

SWEET Zap!!!! Good luck with it!

RNLA said:
Out here in WA. this is STIHL country... hahaha. Really though the local shop does modify the 660s right out of the box, port, muffler, ETC. about $200.00 for the full package. I have run both stock and fully modified. There is a huge difference. :gulp: Nice saw by the way ZAP!

Yea I did on my 460.....Sometimes you just cant help it!

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

OK if you think this is all crap. How far are you from Martinsville IN. I can give you a name and number if you want to run some modded saws.

LOL I have some myself.......Martinsville about an hour sometimes less. And I was just kidding "J/K". The kool-aid remark is more for the Brad Snelling comment I do my own saws, and have my own shop. Biggest thing on any saw is the Chain. Stock saw can beat the best of modded. saws if the chain is done right. Now put both together and You Have A Winner!

With all that said a great modd. is maybe 20 percent over stock....And what you pay for that 20 percent is through the nose.

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

LOL I have some myself.......Martinsville about an hour sometimes less. And I was just kidding "J/K". The kool-aid remark is more for the Brad Snelling comment I do my own saws, and have my own shop. Biggest thing on any saw is the Chain. Stock saw can beat the best of modded. saws if the chain is done right. Now put both together and You Have A Winner!

With all that said a great modd. is maybe 20 percent over stock....And what you pay for that 20 percent is through the nose.
I probably wouldn't do it for 20% either myself. Thats reason my 681 is still stock except for muffler mod. But every saw is different on how they take to a mod and different builders can get different results from different saws. My little 346 is 40% faster and its tame compared to what they are putting out today. After owning one I wouldn't have a stock 45-60cc saw. With all that said if you were to run a Snelling 660 I'll bet you would want yours done.

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

I probably wouldn't do it for 20% either myself. Thats reason my 681 is still stock except for muffler mod. But every saw is different on how they take to a mod and different builders can get different results from different saws. My little 346 is 40% faster and its tame compared to what they are putting out today. After owning one I wouldn't have a stock 45-60cc saw. With all that said if you were to run a Snelling 660 I'll bet you would want yours done.

Maybe maybe not...My 460 ported polished slammed head 3/4 inch s/s muffler modd. and an 046 oiler. My sharpening skills are well above average as well. I really like the 460 over a 660 for the wood I run into and have an 880 if need be.(never cross cut with it yet) Around here big hardwood 30-45 inchs and anything over that will be silver maple! The 460 just rocks imo and just what I have grown to love. Now I only do 35 cords a year and about 1500 board foot and this just fits me best.

I hear the 460 is the better deal too. Kinda like I would much rather have a 372, 7900, or 681 over the 395. You reach a point where the weight overcomes the need for power unless your just bucking logs. I don't mind the 395 if I'm bucking cause the weight of the saw is mostly on the wood.

wkpoor said:
I hear the 460 is the better deal too. Kinda like I would much rather have a 372, 7900, or 681 over the 395. You reach a point where the weight overcomes the need for power unless your just bucking logs. I don't mind the 395 if I'm bucking cause the weight of the saw is mostly on the wood.

Never really worried about the weight of it. Just feel like the extra rpms you can turn on a 460 seems faster to me..Dont know for sure though...Now it will take a little more thought when cutting large logs to keep the rpms up on the 460 but I tune by ear and do so through out the cut so this is very easy for me. Now if I was a bigger guy and could musle it all day long of was just felling only I probally change my mind. Now with Zap he going to be milling with it so he doing double duty I can see that point to. 460 would not make a good milling saw.

Funny the 460 does more RPM for you. The 660 full package modification they do here makes those scream so tight it scares me... I do not doubt you i'm just sayin... My MS440 goes super too. Anyone use the bigger sprocket?

Enjoy the saw Zap, I was milling with mine today. I used the Bobcat to lift the log on top of two big rounds and it makes it really nice to work at table height. I will provide pictures soon. I need to get to work on my barn so I am going to back burner milling for awhile. I have several logs that are going to have to wait. Summer is too short around here to get work done. Finally going to warm up this week.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Enjoy the saw Zap, I was milling with mine today. I used the Bobcat to lift the log on top of two big rounds and it makes it really nice to work at table height. I will provide pictures soon. I need to get to work on my barn so I am going to back burner milling for awhile. I have several logs that are going to have to wait. Summer is too short around here to get work done. Finally going to warm up this week.

GolfandWoodNut what type of wood did you mill today? I just used the 660 on the downed Sugar Maple with the 18 inch bar (made quick work of that sugar maple) Sunday I'll use it on some Cherry which should be nice then some day during this week I'll grab another Beech with the 660.

Zap

zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

GolfandWoodNut what type of wood did you mill today? I just used the 660 on the downed Sugar Maple with the 18 inch bar (made quick work of that sugar maple) Sunday I'll use it on some Cherry which should be nice then some day during this week I'll grab another Beech with the 660.

Zap
Still working on the cherry. I have alot of white oak waiting. Not any pine here.

zapny said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Zap

LOL Like to see a video thats got to be some fun!

LOL Like to see a video thats got to be some fun![/quote]

That 18 inch bar on the 660 kicks some a__. I'll see what I can do on that video.

GIBIR

Status
Not open for further replies.