660 Picked Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
zapny said:
LOL Like to see a video thats got to be some fun!

That 18 inch bar on the 660 kicks some a__. I'll see what I can do on that video.

GIBIR[/quote]

LOL I bet it does......Lee run's 660 with 20 inch bar for everything! I bet your still smiling.

You reach a point on a big saw with a little bar where it won't cut any faster than a smaller saw with the same bar especially if the smaller saw has enough power to keep the rpms up. My 346 will easily run with my 395 if both have 16" bars. Maybe beat it since the 346 turns 16K rpms.

wkpoor said:
You reach a point on a big saw with a little bar where it won't cut any faster than a smaller saw with the same bar especially if the smaller saw has enough power to keep the rpms up. My 346 will easily run with my 395 if both have 16" bars. Maybe beat it since the 346 turns 16K rpms.

True but not completely true.....The 660/880 with a 20 inch bars (880 a 21 inch bar) are used all the time for plunge felling its the torque there after. You can also lean or in my case pull much harder as well. (This is where a over 6ft 220 guy going to like a 660 over a 460 as well) In Zaps case he is wainting on his milling 36 inch bar...Oh and haven a blast in the mean time...lol
I am 5'10" and 175 so the 460 works best for me in a cross cut.

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

True but not completely true.....The 660/880 with a 20 inch bars (880 a 21 inch bar) are used all the time for plunge felling its the torque there after. You can also lean or in my case pull much harder as well. (This is where a over 6ft 220 guy going to like a 660 over a 460 as well) In Zaps case he is wainting on his milling 36 inch bar...Oh and haven a blast in the mean time...lol

Smokin I stopped by the Woodchop Shop this morning about 8:15 am (He had sold three saws already,Huskies) so we had little time to talk but I did ask him to check on the auxiliary oiler.

What do you use for oil when milling?

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

Smokin I stopped by the Woodchop Shop this morning about 8:15 am (He had sold three saws already,Huskies) so we had little time to talk but I did ask him to check on the auxiliary oiler.

What do you use for oil?

Zap

I have been running nothing but veggie oil in the saw and aux-oiler. Got 4 gallons on sale for 20.00 bucks works well and better for the ground...Least thats my thinking. Been running it in the other 2 saws as well!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

What do you use for oil?

Zap

I have been running nothing but veggie oil in the saw and aux-oiler. Got 4 gallons on sale for 20.00 bucks works well and better for the ground...Least thats my thinking. Been running it in the other 2 saws as well!

What brand name and does it need thinning of some type before you can use it?

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:

What do you use for oil?

Zap

What brand name and does it need thinning of some type before you can use it?

Zap

Just as cheep as you can find and just pour it in. If it starts to smell like french frys let it idle for a little bit! Really does help you know when its getting to hot.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Smokin I found this article,

http://eartheasy.com/blog/2010/11/using-vegetable-oil-to-replace-chainsaw-oil/

Zap

I think to me it really keeps the saws much cleaner as well as everything they mention.[/quote]

Looks like the Canola Oil will be picked up this week, GOING GREEN.

GIBIR

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

I think to me it really keeps the saws much cleaner as well as everything they mention.

GIBIR[/quote]

My gf says I always go green if it saves me some green....We have a GFS that sells mainly to restaurant's baulk if you will and 4 gallons should come in around 20-25 bucks that a Stihl lol No chance of staining your wood either if it matters.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

I think to me it really keeps the saws much cleaner as well as everything they mention.

GIBIR

My gf says I always go green if it saves me some green....We have a GFS that sells mainly to restaurant's baulk if you will and 4 gallons should come in around 20-25 bucks that a Stihl lol No chance of staining your wood either if it matters.[/quote]

Just spoke with a local Restaurant Supply Business and they carry a 35lb Soybean Oil at 32.95, would that work?

Zap

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

GIBIR

My gf says I always go green if it saves me some green....We have a GFS that sells mainly to restaurant's baulk if you will and 4 gallons should come in around 20-25 bucks that a Stihl lol No chance of staining your wood either if it matters.[/quote]

Looks like I might grab the Soybean oil after reading some articles, plus the price seems great.

http://www.oilmaintenance.com/ml/200109/biodegradable.asp

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

GIBIR

My gf says I always go green if it saves me some green....We have a GFS that sells mainly to restaurant's baulk if you will and 4 gallons should come in around 20-25 bucks that a Stihl lol No chance of staining your wood either if it matters.

Looks like I might grab the Soybean oil after reading some articles, plus the price seems great.

Zap[/quote]

I would not be afraid of it...Go with the cheapest.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1304977577 said:

Zap

GIBIR

Zap

I would not be afraid of it...Go with the cheapest.[/quote]

Not so sure on it yet so I might check a few other places, that 35lbs breaks down to 4.5587 gallons.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1304978780 said:
zapny" date="1304977577 said:

Zap

GIBIR

Zap

I would not be afraid of it...Go with the cheapest.

Not so sure on it yet so I might check a few other places, that 35lbs breaks down to 4.5587 gallons.

zap[/quote]

Awesome....

Smokin, stopped by the Wood Chop Shop and they had the mill (wrong one, it was for a 20 inch bar or smaller) the rails are on back order but I did pick up the 36 inch bar with the ripping chain.

Looks like he will check on the mill,ez rails and auxiliary oiler combination type deal through another company, one step closer.

Zap

zapny said:
Smokin, stopped by the Wood Chop Shop and they had the mill (wrong one, it was for a 20 inch bar or smaller) the rails are on back order but I did pick up the 36 inch bar with the ripping chain.

Looks like he will check on the mill,ez rails and auxiliary oiler combination type deal through another company, one step closer.

Zap

Yep I know how all that goes....Jags was on my butt for 6 weeks...lol It takes some time to get it all right! That will give you some time to breake in the saw.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:

Zap

Yep I know how all that goes....Jags was on my butt for 6 weeks...lol It takes some time to get it all right! That will give you some time to breake in the saw.

It will also give me more time so that I can read more of the book.

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.