6inch liner into existing 8inch double wall pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMillsHearth

Dec 13, 2016
portland, Oregon
Hi all,

I think I got in way over my head when purchasing a wood stove thinking I could install the 6inch stove into an existing 8inch flue in my house using a reducer. I had the chimney sweep guys come out and take a quick look and they suggested a new 6" liner would be the safer route. They said I could install it myself and save $1200 (nice company!).

EDIT: I'm a little confused because I have an older (20 years?) double wall 8" steel chimney and they suggested I insert a 6" liner down it. From what I can tell, liners are meant for masonry chimneys. Is it safe to do what they suggested? I have two 45 degree bends in the pipe, will liner even make those bends?

Thank you!
-Steve

Last edited:
The liner is meant to be used in a CHIMNEY.
If what you are calling Double-Wall 8"
pipe is actually 8" Class A CHIMNEY PIPE, then it'll be ok.
It may be a little snug pulling it thru the offsets, & if you have Class A pipe, those offsets
CANNOT be 45 degrees, only 15 or 30 degree offsets are code in the US.
With the proper cone attachment in the liner & a rope, it's doable.

A picture or two would help, especially one of the elbows.

I apologize, it is indeed 30 degrees. Sounds like the answer is yes.
Yes I'm talking about the chimney pipe. I also made a mistake, I think it's triple wall not double?

Here's what it says on the chimney pipe:
Amerivent 8 FB-T(?)
Chimney Section
2INCH minimum clearance to combustables
Patent NO 3872780
UL Listed 123J

I've attached some images of the opening flue and the other side of it in the garage where the chimney pipe comes out.

20161213_181949.jpg 20161213_181924.jpg 20161213_181618.jpg 20161213_181635.jpg

Was this used for a wood stove before? Didn't see any info on 8fb but their 10fb is only rated for gas or liquid appliances. Not sure if running a liner down a chimney not designed for wood is a good idea. Looks like that wood has gotten a bit charred already.

I would not line that I think it needs replaced with a new chimney system.

The previous owners had an old wood stove, yeah. Dang, I thought if I could get away with 1/2" insulation around the liner, I would be extra protected.
Btw, the black you see on the wood is not burned, it looks like soot from a cleaning or something but I was able to wipe some off with my finger.
I estimate about 25ft of pipe, that's going to really set me back.
Appreciate all your feedback, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.