A different way to heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbutts

Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2008
central nebraska
Last week I was reading a post someone put up on here about a Russian vacation. It had some pics of a red hot camp stove heating a plastic shelter. A nice off shoot from the main topics on the forum. I have seen some do posts on pets, pics of forum members, just to name a few. I love how it makes for a much more interesting forum.

Well today when I was doing some Google image searches I saw something that caught my eye.
I got off on a tangent and ended up finding this video.

It has some more videos listed at the bottom when you are done viewing it. I have not viewed them yet Thought I would share this link with the rest of you.

I am not advocating using something like this, but just found it "unique" and thought it might amuse some of you as well.
It reminded me a little of a Sedore stove.
How great the internet is for sharing ideas and seeing things others like to share. When I first got on the net back in 95, I would start searching for something, and by the end of the session sometimes be so far off topic that I could not remember what my original search even was.
I don't know about you, but by the time the video was over I was getting hungry..... not sure why...
Hope you enjoy this.

I couldn't view it by the original link but saw it through BG's link. Pretty amamzing!!!! I AM hungry now!

And just think, it'll look great in any living room too!!! Jotul's got nothing on these units ; )

I fixed the youtube link. Looks like a good use for all those exploded bags of pellets that got wet.

Sawdust used to be a regular, delivered fuel in this region that heated many Seattle homes.

Great music....

Interesting about the sawdust BG...

Hmmm... Let me think about this. All that work to get it ready instead of shoving a few splits in the wood stove.

Nah, I'll pass.

Edit: For eighty-five bucks it might be fun to try.

If they had a compressed sawdust cylinder say 24" tall with the center core already done, it would seem more practical. Once the cylinder has burned down almost to the bottom, place another on top and repeat the cycle. Seems like a PITA if the core hole caves in for some reason and you had to do it all over. I betcha Adios Pantalones could fire some pottery in there at the same time while cooking breakfast on top.

Interesting!

I don't think the prep work is that big a deal. What is interesting is that the process is said to work for other combustibles. I'm wondering how well it works on shredded documents. Thinking of painting it green and taking it to Washington, DC that is.

I think there is a UN project to help 3rd world countries in making these kinds of stove "fuel cells" to help with the issues regarding cooking and direct exposure to the smoke. As I remember there are special native built presses that form the fuel from everything from dung to prairie grass. Helps with the defoliation of the 3rd world. I looked but can't find the references. Anyone else find them???

Only thing that worries me is the stack. Looks like a piece of single wall waterheater pipe. Then again, it doesn't say how much it produces in BTU's, or how many pounds of fuel the stove is charged with.

BeGreen said:
I don't think the prep work is that big a deal. What is interesting is that the process is said to work for other combustibles. I'm wondering how well it works on shredded documents. Thinking of painting it green and taking it to Washington, DC that is.

That scares the bejeepers out of me.

pen

Here is a pdf doc from the US Forest Service concerning the construction of such a stove for those of you interested in what makes them work.

http://www.treesearch.fs.fed.us/pubs/19308

I seem to remember reading some where that you could burn bark, but if you wanted to burn wood chips it was best to add sawdust to it.
I also added an attachment that would definitely please Pook.
I have read about rocket stoves, but had never seen one being used like this with sawdust. I have done some reading on other ways to burn it.

Might have some promise with wood gas generation for those who tinker.

I had no idea anyone here in the US had used them for burning sawdust. But then again, where
I live we have lots of cedar trees, a few cottonwood, ash, box elder...... and whats that oak, walnut, maple thing all about? CORN should be the state tree in Nebraska. We have more of that than we do trees. LOL ;)

Oh concerning how hot it gets, I guess when you first start it, the middle of the top is hot enough to boil water. Later in the burn the heat goes more to the outer diameter of the top. They said the sawdust also acts as an insulation to the metal. Someone mentioned in a post I read, it might be good to add another barrel around the first two to capture more of the heat before goes out the stack.

Finally as far as how much heat they put out, here is a link to a UK site that calculates what size of stove you need.
http://www.workshopstoves.co.uk/workshop-stove-size.asp
Once you find the stove size, you can go to the product page and it give you the dimensions of their stove. One could calculate from the metric dimensions.
I'm still thinking about the eggs and sausage in the video, time for breakfast!

Attachments

• DSC00435.jpg
    DSC00435.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 373
That last pic would make an insurance underwriter's jaw hit the floor. Yes sir, just a lil' stove polish and it's all good.

I'd say that was pook's stove if the cement board was replaced with aluminum foil.

Status
Not open for further replies.