A good Samaritan.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hotprinter said:
Came home to find a good sam had replenished our dwindling wood supply. He had cut and split it and then neatl stacked it under our deck. Now that is a great friend! Thank you Mr Fazio!!!

This is the advantage of living so close to Santa Claus :)

Ray

Careful, random acts of kindness can be infectious.

BeGreen said:

That is one of the best parts of being kind!

This makes me think a bit. Maybe it would be fun to sometime drop a bunch of wood at someone's house while they were gone and then when they got home they would not know where the wood came from. Hum..... May be a project in the making here.

We gave away a lot of raspberry plants yesterday through our local freecycle. It felt great to help young families and old get a berry patch started. We met some very nice people doing this.

And the nice part is you can get more raspberries every year once you plant some.....and it doesn't hurt the raspberry patch either! A real winner all the way.

Backwoods Savage said:
BeGreen said:

That is one of the best parts of being kind!

This makes me think a bit. Maybe it would be fun to sometime drop a bunch of wood at someone's house while they were gone and then when they got home they would not know where the wood came from. Hum..... May be a project in the making here.

OK now I am convinced I'm moving to Michegan nextdoor to you! Dennis you are a credit to wood burners I am glad to know you!

Ray

Ray, I just like to have a little fun now and then. But you are welcome here anytime.

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, I just like to have a little fun now and then. But you are welcome here anytime.

Same to you Dennis! Funny thing is you are back to earth and high tech at the same time.. It's good to have a balance of the 2 together! I stacked 2 cord and moved a couple.. Have 2 more cord to stack here but it's snowing pretty hard here right now.. Go figure! My wood guy hooked me up with some great firewood at a good price.. He is hands down the best wood guy I have ever had!! I think I paid for 3 cord and got 4 and at last years price! The wood is good stuff consisting of White Ash, Rock Maple, Hickory, Honey Locust, Yellow Birch and barely any Oak so I am very pleased.. I told Al here about him and he and his family are now using this guy and they seem to be thrilled as I am.. I did notice some wood had a little poison ivy vine ( I think it's poison ivy) dried up and dead on it and took it off.. Should I be concerned about the roots which are embedded in the bark? I figure I have nearly 10 cords here now and that's a good thing!

Ray

Ray, lots of folks do worry about the poison ivy but we've never worried too much about it. We have trimmed some from trees that we have felled though. We just take the axe and slide it along the log and it comes off pretty easy.

Speaking of ivy, I finally got out yesterday to bring a little more wood to the house so went out to the old pile as we had just a little wood left that is maybe 8 years old now. One of those pieces had a large part of a vine on it. We'll burn it just the same. However, when rdust came for some wood from us he was really careful with anything that had ivy on it as he can get a bad case of it really easy. I had not thought about it at the time and wondered why he was being so careful all of a sudden. He told me fast. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Ray, lots of folks do worry about the poison ivy but we've never worried too much about it. We have trimmed some from trees that we have felled though. We just take the axe and slide it along the log and it comes off pretty easy.

Speaking of ivy, I finally got out yesterday to bring a little more wood to the house so went out to the old pile as we had just a little wood left that is maybe 8 years old now. One of those pieces had a large part of a vine on it. We'll burn it just the same. However, when rdust came for some wood from us he was really careful with anything that had ivy on it as he can get a bad case of it really easy. I had not thought about it at the time and wondered why he was being so careful all of a sudden. He told me fast. lol

I have never had poison ivy either through luck or perhaps I am not susceptible to it.. Don't want to find out the hard way ...

Ray

raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I have never had poison ivy either through luck or perhaps I am not susceptible to it.. Don't want to find out the hard way ...

Ray

Last time I got mixed up in it I ended up having to visit the doctor and he stuck me on a course of steroids to stop the reaction. ug. I have been terribly reactive ever since I was a kid. It seems that once the reaction starts in me it seems to spread all over and just gets worse... so best for me to avoid it at great cost. Needless to say I'm VERY careful to watch for any sign of it and when I do see it I give it great respect. I'll leave perfectly good wood behind to avoid touching something that has touched poison ivy.

Slow1 said:
raybonz said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Ray

Last time I got mixed up in it I ended up having to visit the doctor and he stuck me on a course of steroids to stop the reaction. ug. I have been terribly reactive ever since I was a kid. It seems that once the reaction starts in me it seems to spread all over and just gets worse... so best for me to avoid it at great cost. Needless to say I'm VERY careful to watch for any sign of it and when I do see it I give it great respect. I'll leave perfectly good wood behind to avoid touching something that has touched poison ivy.

It's wierd Slow that I have never been affected by poison ivy and I tend to have dry skin so that may be why it has no effect on me.. I did take off the vine I did find and only the thin roots are left behind.. I am only guessing that it was poison ivy and it probably is just that and I deal with it as though it is.. Some people are much more sensitive to this nasty vine and apparently you're one of them..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.