A Little Pellet 101

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsmanstoves

Minister of Fire
When is the right time to buy your pellets?

The main reason to burn a pellet stove is to save money on home heating.
I sold pellets to everyone for $185 a ton in May and June.
Now the end of October I am selling them for $275 to non customers.
My profit is just about the same but slightly more now for a number of reasons.

Why the heck would you not have bought your pellets in the summer. I even call my current customers in April to give them the heads up and attempt to determine the logistics for the upcoming season. This year was off the chart but what can you do and I STILL HAVE PELLETS.

Thank you Pellet Pigs. I do have customers using 5-8 tons of pellets a year. I also have people that stock one year in advance. I also have weekend burners that get a bag every Friday but they know they will be paying more.

Eric

The only logical reason I can come to is storage. Some people put them in their garage and don't want to navigate around them all summer long. I have 3 years worth in a room under my porch. When do I get my "Pellet Pig" bumper sticker?

There ya go...another member of the club
If you have your pellet supply for the season but the next guy does not....
We get called a “Pellet Pig”

Or is it called "Wood Crack"?

I will give you the first bag and after you burn that you will keep coming back for my stuff.

Eric

I ordered mine in June and I still don't have any. It depends on what region you are in. Hopefully Maine is not like this every year.

There are three mills in Maine and I have never seen any for less than $225 per ton. I ordered 5 tons at $240 per ton.

I guess you can move and save a few bucks on the pellets.

Eric

Yep, storage, the boat comes first during the summer. I've never had significant differences in price regardless in this market, I have bought as needed for four years now. Every year it's buy early buy early and many do, then come late fall the retailers are sitting on stock they ordered ahead and now need to move so prices are good.

GotzTheHotz said:
Yep, storage, the boat comes first during the summer. I've never had significant differences in price regardless in this market, I have bought as needed for four years now. Every year it's buy early buy early and many do, then come late fall the retailers are sitting on stock they ordered ahead and now need to move so prices are good.

Huge pellet market around here. This spring pellets were everywhere, $205-215 a ton. Now they're scarce at $285-305 a ton

I would like to buy early to save money but most of the places around here don't get them in until around August or later. The places I have went to will not pre sale them and it is a first come get them thing when they get them in. I did find them at TCS at a decent price and I think I will stick with them for now on, just a little farther of a trip and they don't deliver.

tinkabranc said:

That's bull. If the next guy doesn't it's because the prices have gone up and that guy doesn't want to fork out the asking $ or simply can't afford it. see second paragraph in https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/275566/

It's tough here in New England. Seems like everything is high priced, especially in CT. I'm a newbie and didn't order my stove till mid July and got a pellet order in with local distributor in early August (he didn't take any orders late July). That order never came in (Corinth) and here it is end of October. I did get some crappy ones (Maine Woods/M and M) and you can certainly read my posts on that situation. They're going back on Sat. After that I don't have any except for 5 bags left that I borrowed, and no one around here has any-- Except for a TSC in RI that has 'Premier Hardwood Pellets', but I've never heard of them and can't find any info here or on the net, so I'm not taking a chance on them--no way...

Time to move to Ohio??? Wish I could, I have friends in Ohio from the Navy. my job is here though.

Next year my order goes in in March!

-rk

jackovalltrades said:
tinkabranc said:

That's bull. If the next guy doesn't it's because the prices have gone up and that guy doesn't want to fork out the asking $ or simply can't afford it. see second paragraph in https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewreply/275566/

Of course it's bull, thats why we are joking about being called Pellet Pigs.

read post #45 on this thread
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/25259/P44/#270001

Haven't even gotten my stove yet, set for November delivery, but I did get the pellets immediately after placing my order for the stove. Picked up 3 tons at 279.00 each, which I thought was high at the time, but look where prices are now. With luck I'll be burning them next month some time, if not, I'll only be worrying about where my stove is, not worrying about where do I get my pellets. This being my first year in the pellet club, the only experience I have is that I will buy pellets early, and when I can find them cheap. And, on the plus side, this forum has been an incredible source of information, you just can't beat it! Love reading everyone's questions and answers, especially the rants, thats where alot of the truth's lie.

BubbRubb said:
.... I have 3 years worth in a room under my porch. When do I get my "Pellet Pig" bumper sticker?

Bubb,

to be an official member, you have to state your tonnage in your signature.....then, and ONLY then, can you become a member.

And don't forget to include those most famous words by our Grand Pooba...

“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselves” - eernest4

Status
Not open for further replies.