A wood for a wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
One of my trusted wood suppliers is a real scrounger sort of guy. Fells, limbs, bucks, splits, delivers firewood. Also processes scrap metal and vehicles for recycling...who knows what else he does? He's a woodburner himself, and an honest and likeable guy who knows what a cord is, and he always makes it his practice to deliver a bit more than I asked him to. Anyway, we're into a major house remodeling now, and he took away our old Lopi M530 stove (and the 14' of welded 8" well casing that served as a stovepipe), plus all our old kitchen cabinets and appliances, and our electric heater and all the ductwork. He's coming back next week for the old washer & dryer. All this stuff is 30 years old. I could have burned the cabinets, but I don't like to burn anything with glue or finish, and besides, those kitchen cabinets are a pain in the butt to put through the splitter. He's gonna bring me 4 cords of large (~24+" dia., 20" long) Ponderosa Pine rounds in late August/early September in exchange for hauling away all our junk. I'm pretty pleased with the deal, and he seems to be too. Wish everyone I dealt with was so trustworthy and easy to get along with. Rick

He's taking away your junk and bringing you firewood? I'd keep his phone # around for a while. The stove might have been worth something, but you have to give them a little gravy with the garbage...

Chris

Yes, the stove was worth something...a fine old pre-EPA large box smoke dragon, even has a water heat exchanger built in...but technically illegal for me to sell or for anyone to install, so in the end, it's scrap metal unless he dicides to put it into his house, which I think is his plan. At today's prices, it's about $600 worth of wood he's gonna bring me, so I really don't care what he does with the old stove or any of the other stuff. And yes, I'm keeping his phone number! Rick

fossil said:
Yes, the stove was worth something...a fine old pre-EPA large box smoke dragon, even has a water heat exchanger built in...but technically illegal for me to sell or for anyone to install, so in the end, it's scrap metal unless he dicides to put it into his house, which I think is his plan. At today's prices, it's about $600 worth of wood he's gonna bring me, so I really don't care what he does with the old stove or any of the other stuff. And yes, I'm keeping his phone number! Rick

Rick, I sure hope you don't end up with all that stuff on your front lawn one morning when you wake up. :)

Scrap metal is worth a lot right now so he can more than get his moneys worth from it. You gained some nice wood which you could use so it was a great bartar deal for the both of you. Without him you would have had to pay for the removal of the items and also purchase wood for your stove.

Soudns like a sweet deal all around. I am not much for softwood but it burns and it great for the shoulder seasons. Just goes to show that no matter how much you have, there are people with much less and it is good to see your retired stuff getting use. I would rather give something away then burn it. Except for firewood that is!!! :coolsmirk:

burntime said:
...I am not much for softwood but it burns and it great for the shoulder seasons...

Well, burntime, there are those of us woodburners out here on the northwestern frontier that have ready access to nothing but softwoods. That's what we burn. Year round. We burn a lot of it. A cord of good seasoned Lodgepole Pine CSD currently runs $150 - $175 where I live. Rounds delivered for $150/cord. If I could burn hardwood, I most certainly would, but it just don't grow out here, so we burn what we got. :) Rick

4 cords and a sleeping bag.

:)

Sounds like a good trade to me Fossil.

We Wisconsinites are spoiled, brats, cheese, beer and hardwoods!!! :)

burntime said:
We Wisconsinites are spoiled, brats, cheese, beer and hardwoods!!! :)

Well, we do have grocery stores...even electricity and indoor plumbing. :lol: Just no native hardwoods. :down: Rick

burntime said:
We Wisconsinites are spoiled, brats...

I forgot to point out that you placed a superfluous comma in your post. :lol: Rick

sounds like a good deal i scrap metal on the side and right now cast is $10 per 100lbs and mixed steel is $8 per 100lbs so it soulds like a good trade for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.