Ads in message body?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
Is this an error, ads showing up in the message body? I find it confusing. I’ll get used to it but it looks like the poster added the kuma image in their message.

2749E971-C082-4B1E-9304-E5DAA81EF11C.png

Agreed. It's poor ad placement, out of context, and confusing. At the least, it should be clearly marked as an advertisement.

I see the ad below the posting. I am using the mobile website in Chrome on my phone.

Looks like they are back to normal now.

Just trying some new positions. Some are hard to tell where the description means it to be.

Reactions: EbS-P and begreen
Anyone else getting these ads across the bottom 1 inch of screen. Its a popup that you need to click on the X to close. Minutes latter another one is back. Won't stop. Can't stop it. It's adds from google. But only on this site.

Anyone else see this and have a solution? How about the admins here? webfish ?

The annoying one is the initial video ad that blocks out the screen and slow loads and slow closes before I get to content. Its a new very annoying way of serving ads. Sad to say Kuma is not getting any of my business as they are one of the many that use this method.

The annoying one is the initial video ad that blocks out the screen and slow loads and slow closes before I get to content. Its a new very annoying way of serving ads. Sad to say Kuma is not getting any of my business as they are one of the many that use this method.
I haven’t gotten any video ads on my phone. That all I ever use anymore. The pop ups are a bit annoying. But I don’t mind. Hearth has to pay the bills somehow. I should take screed shots of all the completely irrelevant adds that pop up and post but I’m too busy. At the end of the day I’ll keep using it.

They pay for advertising, I bet they have little control in how the ad is "inserted"
@lampmfg ?

Yeah Google is the one serving the ads. Be mad at them not the advertisers.
You can try clicking the "ad covered content" feedback option but I don't think anyone really reads those.

Several of the other forums I am active on allow member to become supporting members. The members pay a annual fee and the ads disappear. I moderate on another board and the claim is one supporting member kicking in $20 is the equivalent of hundreds if not thousands of page views. It cuts out the middleman (the ad server like google or Meta) and goes direct to the site owner. The supporting members get a few "goodies" like being able to edit a post after being submitted. I find I get fewer targeted ads from sites where I am a supporting member.

I do find clicking on ad content feedback seems to work better on many sites if I select the "ad contains offensive content" option.

Reactions: EbS-P
Please don’t blame the advertisers. We are trying different things to account for rising costs . Takes some tweaking . Ads keep this place running.

Several of the other forums I am active on allow member to become supporting members. The members pay a annual fee and the ads disappear. I moderate on another board and the claim is one supporting member kicking in $20 is the equivalent of hundreds if not thousands of page views. It cuts out the middleman (the ad server like google or Meta) and goes direct to the site owner. The supporting members get a few "goodies" like being able to edit a post after being submitted. I find I get fewer targeted ads from sites where I am a supporting member.

I do find clicking on ad content feedback seems to work better on many sites if I select the "ad contains offensive content" option.
This seems to be more the norm than in the past . We may look at that and see if feasible for this forum.

Reactions: EbS-P