Advice on Insert / CT Dealers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jm15 said:
Rona,

Thanks for the help, but I got a little confused. It sounds like your saying, that the Harman might perform better because it stays on. But then you say that you should try not to run wide open. But wouldn't the bigger stove (AE) do a better job heating at 1/2 or 3/4 because it has a higher heat output. basically half of the harman is less than half of the AE. I just want to be sure of what your saying. The more I think about it, the more I want the Harman, but I want to make sure I don't have to run it full speed to keep it warm.
I have owned Both the AE and a Harman PC45. I live in Minn where -20 is common. When trying to keep the house warm under that condition you don't want the stove going on and off because you when it slows down , shuts off dumps and reignites then has to ramp back up you are losing ground compared to another stove continually running producing heat.
I am aware of that heavy cast iron heat exchanger on the AE. We replaced 3 because they broke during use. That was a common problem along with the igniter burning out prematurely.
Having said that the AE is a very pretty stove and will burn pellets pretty well. I just lost to much heat from it shutting off and on so often. I would rather have a stove that would run for 2 weeks nonstop just add fuel and dump ashes on the go.
With decent pellets a Harman PC45 can run continuously burning up to a ton of pellets before stopping to empty the ash pan.
Most stoves loose efficiency when turned up to burn wide open.

You may want to check out a Harman P35i. A few less btu's but still a real workhorse. Mine is heating my house (front to back split with a large addition in the back about 1400 sq feet) without breaking a sweat this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.